[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

"
old_nihilist wrote:
Guys plz help me I'm in sadness. I've spent ~70ex for this build and still gettng 1 shot kills..... a lot of oneshot kills. For you to understand - I can be killed 2-3 times during atoll map by the fckn totem boss map.... I don't understand how do you farm bosses with this build and getting 40 achievements .... And you are absolutelly non-viable as soon as there is no mobs to feed your cinderswallow flask... or if you forgot to use it

My ES is 7800
POB DOT - 2.8mln
My gear is:

u'll need cluster jewel.
"
old_nihilist wrote:
Guys plz help me I'm in sadness. I've spent ~70ex for this build and still gettng 1 shot kills..... a lot of oneshot kills. For you to understand - I can be killed 2-3 times during atoll map by the fckn totem boss map.... I don't understand how do you farm bosses with this build and getting 40 achievements .... And you are absolutelly non-viable as soon as there is no mobs to feed your cinderswallow flask... or if you forgot to use it

My ES is 7800
POB DOT - 2.8mln
My gear is:

With the gear you have, it is not normal that you keep dying over and over. That's a very decent gear and you should be be able to do all content quite easily.
Make sure you are always in movement, for bosses drop some vortex below the boss and run offscreen (Atoll totem boss can't move so just avoid being around when he jumps and casts the nova).
Also don't forget your flasks. Use them before rushing into a pack. All mobs will be dead before the flask buff expires and they will be full again for next pack.

Here are few things I would consider:
- In your ascendancy, drop Malediction and take Vile Bastion
- Remove Temp Chain and use Flesh and Stone (in Sand Stance). (so you don't need the extra curse from malediction)
- Use Cluster Jewels with Brush with Death and Vile Reinvigoration (2 clusters would be great)
- Use a Large Thread of Hope instead of intuitive leap to save some passive points for your clusters
- If you can fit Vitality somewhere, drop Wicked Ward and take Zealot's Oath instead. HUGE regen boost.
- Aspect of the spider is great to compensate loss of temp chain curse. (but you probably can't have everything if you use blasphemy)
"
old_nihilist wrote:

My ES is 7800
POB DOT - 2.8mln
My gear is:

Some mechanics you just need to dodge. Like when the totem is charging up, move away from it because its nova tends to 1 shot many things. Have a look at donbrawler's account (posts regularly on this thread), see how they are using cluster jewels & thread of hope. We drop the block nodes to pick up more reservation reductions and go for cluster jewels to boost auras & recovery.

In other news, did the 4 breach boss encounter last night. Died once due to a mistake, but otherwise got through it okay, just needed to keep moving. Thank goodness for DoT lol
Last edited by agm_ultimatex on Feb 18, 2021, 11:20:02 AM
Seems their is a common post for a lot of new players that have complaints about the build and not being able to survive. Most of this can be fixed by just getting more DPS and ES.

A lot people I have helped think 6-7k ES is good and they shouldn't die and they are surprised when I say either drop down to t13 maps or find content where you can play comfortably and not get one shot or get your ES to 8.5k and higher if you plan on staying in end game content.

TIPS
1. Any boss mechanic that hits hard, on death effects, explosions is usually a instant one shot if you have less than 9k ES on t16 content. So stop running into damage you cannot take.

2. Play smart and learn about what mechanics that can one shot you. (On death effects, Boss Slams, Explosions, ect..

3. Until you get better at playing this build stay away from these map mods

(Elemental Reflect, Players have no or 60% less Regen, Extra Projectiles, Vulnerability, Crit Multipliers, Increased Area Damage, Reduced block, and Unlucky Dodge if using Elusive)

4. DPS is one of your biggest defenses in this build. If monsters die before they can hit you then you won't die. 4-5mil Shaper DPS is where you want your DPS be at for End Game

Summary:

Get your ES above 8k for end game content (6-7k does not cut it)

Get your DPS up to 4-5mil

Stop playing sloppy and expect to not get one shot if run into a 20 pack of certain mob types that will melt your face.

This build is very new player friendly but is not going carry you if you don't know how to play smart.

You can't face tank anything with this build. Just drop your vortex, cold snaps and run circles around everything and Dodge through and behind monsters, not into the middle of a huge pack of miscreations who have Vulnerability on hit and you die instantly :)
Last edited by donbrawler on Feb 18, 2021, 4:22:52 PM
Your guide says cold dmg over time and normal dmg over time are effectively the same thing. I got a new wand today and I was looking to dual mod it for the best damage plus the trigger mod. When I go into PoB and apply the 20% cold damage over time mod to the item I get about a 14% DPS upgrade. When I go into it and apply the 30% damage over time mod I only get 5.4%. Is PoB wrong here or is the cold DOT mod somehow vastly superior even at a lower percentage?

The wand does have +1 to cold gems, 47% increased cold damage and 8% chance to freeze for other cold modifiers.
@EnderCN

There is huge difference between "20% Damage over Time Multiplier" vs "30% Damage over time".

Damage over time Multiplier is the stat you want to scale.

Last edited by donbrawler on Feb 19, 2021, 1:09:50 AM
"
donbrawler wrote:
@EnderCN

There is huge difference between "20% Damage over Time Multiplier" vs "30% Damage over time".

Mate I'm looking at your Char and I've got two questions if you don't mind:
1. How are you applying 2nd curse with Storm brand?
2. Why are you using Clarity?
"
n0rek84 wrote:
"
donbrawler wrote:
@EnderCN

1. He applies the second with Awakened HexTouch. At Level 5, you get "Supported skills can apply an additional curse". He's forced to self-cast storm brand though...
2. When you reserve almost all your mana, clarity is mandatory. In my case, I have about 100 unreserved mana and vortex cast on left click while I'm moving. Without clarity I could not sustain it.
Last edited by Arkannn on Feb 19, 2021, 4:14:01 AM
Hi!
I've been enjoying this build but now I need some advice.
short version: lacking damage in red maps, rituals becoming problem

long version below:

Playing the CI-variant I know it isn't as good when it comes to damage but now in red maps I'm starting to struggle. In rituals especially I get easily overwhelmed where I can't clear first wave fast enough before next ones spawn in leading into situation where there is no more room to move to recharge ES.

I'm semi-casual player who is absolutely clueless when it comes to itemization / I know nothing about crafting except bench craft missing mod if open suffix / prefix. I know my gloves and shield need upgrades for sure but seems like all upgrades are 2EX plus in cost or people selling cheaper ones are not responding.

PoB shows my Vortex DPS at 364k with Frostbite active and 245k without it. Latter being more realistic since Frostbite seems to trigger only every 1 / 4 packs or so I go through, not sure why that is. ES is just shy of 8k, I don't die too often except when screen gets filled by monsters in red map rituals.

I've got 1 Exalted + 130 Chaos right now to spend on upgrades hopefully getting me deeper into red tiers with more damage. Would love to try low life but it is currently way out of my budget.

Character is RitualMorclye and below is the PoB code link at PasteBin:
https://pastebin.com/mYHjPJ6S
"
Arkannn wrote:
"
n0rek84 wrote:
"
donbrawler wrote:
@EnderCN

1. He applies the second with Awakened HexTouch. At Level 5, you get "Supported skills can apply an additional curse". He's forced to self-cast storm brand though...
2. When you reserve almost all your mana, clarity is mandatory. In my case, I have about 100 unreserved mana and vortex cast on left click while I'm moving. Without clarity I could not sustain it.

Thanks Arkannn for answering.

My character is not the normal setup. I removed all mana regen nodes like Arcane Will, Mystic Bulwark and Prodigal Perfection on the tree to gain extra points to use 2 Large and 4 Medium cluster setup. Since I only have 135 mana and I play with vortex on left click I need the mana regen from Clarity. With Vaal Clarity I also get 15 seconds of Free mana skills which is great for simulacrums and delirious maps.

I mainly farm bosses so Self Casting Storm Brand to proc curses isn't as bad as it would seem. In Maps I just cast Storm Brand from range then Cold Snap and I one shot most big packs in maps with profane bloom explosions doing the rest.
Last edited by donbrawler on Feb 19, 2021, 6:34:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info