[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

"
hawok wrote:
I made some changes to the tree and i'm taking area nodes to be able to clear faster and taking away pain attunement and some others.
This league is only maps and bosses and without area the build lacks clear speed.
Other than that i'm in red maps killing everything, Metamorphs included. So nice build Gryphenprey.

I actually really like when people tweak the build to their own style. I personally never felt I needed extra AOE since I primarily cleared with Cold Snap and try to have a source of physical explosions specifically for mapping Asenath's Touch or i85 Crusader Chest prefix are good ways to get this in league. I was spoiled with Synthesis stuff.

Keep it up!
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
hawok wrote:
I made some changes to the tree and i'm taking area nodes to be able to clear faster and taking away pain attunement and some others.
This league is only maps and bosses and without area the build lacks clear speed.
Other than that i'm in red maps killing everything, Metamorphs included. So nice build Gryphenprey.

I actually really like when people tweak the build to their own style. I personally never felt I needed extra AOE since I primarily cleared with Cold Snap and try to have a source of physical explosions specifically for mapping Asenath's Touch or i85 Crusader Chest prefix are good ways to get this in league. I was spoiled with Synthesis stuff.

Keep it up!

I need more AoE for maps because i'm using astral projector ring and it reduces the AoE. I want to be able to kill an entire package of mobs with one vortex or cold snap.

I'm trying to get a Carcass Jack for maps and a nice sadist garb for exiles and hard bosses. I'll check that gloves and the new crusader mods for chests.

A question, there is any ranged electric or fire AoE skill gem that last for more time than firestorm?
Last edited by hawok on Dec 20, 2019, 4:01:13 AM
i've played this build since synthesis, both as trickster and occultists here and there. like what gryphen has said, vortex shouldnt be your primary white mob pack clear skill. he uses cold snap to target the packs and it shatters them easily. i'm also learning to do that more and more.

however, what i've found myself doing in the past leagues is this, weapon swapping to 2 obliteration wands and everything just blows up with vortex for clearing maps. other than that, swap to main wep/shield for bosses.

as an occultist, profane bloom helps as well if you're lazy to do swaps.

other than that, doing what gryphen says - using cold snap on white mob packs seems the fastest hassle free method.

from my past experience, I've also learnt to use vortex to clear white mobs (even without the shatter/bloom). I agree the AoE might be smaller, but you're not exactly looking for a 100% clear so it wasn't an issue for me. it might help if you're phasing/blinking into the pack and using vortex in the middle rather than from the perimeter/edges as well.
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:
i've played this build since synthesis, both as trickster and occultists here and there. like what gryphen has said, vortex shouldnt be your primary white mob pack clear skill. he uses cold snap to target the packs and it shatters them easily. i'm also learning to do that more and more.

however, what i've found myself doing in the past leagues is this, weapon swapping to 2 obliteration wands and everything just blows up with vortex for clearing maps. other than that, swap to main wep/shield for bosses.

other than that, doing what gryphen says - using cold snap on white mob packs seems the fastest hassle free method.

from my past experience, I've also learnt to use vortex to clear white mobs (even without the shatter/bloom). I agree the AoE might be smaller, but you're not exactly looking for a 100% clear so it wasn't an issue for me. it might help if you're phasing/blinking into the pack and using vortex in the middle rather than from the perimeter/edges as well.

I'm using both Cold Snap and Vortex to clean packs because i can use Vortex as ranged skill with the ring, so i alternate between the two cooldowns each white mob pack. I don't need to blink into the pack, thats why i like to use this ring.
i have some free socket when did the build, and have a CWDT , and try to put a curse, now i have a bane in, but ask about despair, what are thinking about ?

bane work only 2s , but have a 40-50 more
despair have 9s, but 15-20% increased.

cwdt trigger with 580 dmg

don't really now wich one could be better. i'm only on t13-t14 map, and don't have survive issue, so don't look defensive option for the moment.

have 8700+es.
Spoiler

"
laurent67 wrote:
i have some free socket when did the build, and have a CWDT , and try to put a curse, now i have a bane in, but ask about despair, what are thinking about ?

don't really now wich one could be better. i'm only on t13-t14 map, and don't have survive issue, so don't look defensive option for the moment.

have 8700+es.
Spoiler

Bane is not a curse itself, but rather applies curses linked to it to enemies. Go with Frostbite for damage or use a Witchfire Brew Stibnite Flask for Despair.
"
hawok wrote:
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

I'm using both Cold Snap and Vortex to clean packs because i can use Vortex as ranged skill with the ring, so i alternate between the two cooldowns each white mob pack. I don't need to blink into the pack, thats why i like to use this ring.

well, you mentioned that you are using the astral projection ring to cast vortex from a distance, so I guess that the drawback is the smaller aoe. I guess your point about using carcass jack and taking increased aoe is valid.

but what gryphen (and I) are saying that we dont find a problem with casting vortex around us, and much prefer using a rare chest + other rings to make up for it. so I cant help your build, but it's interesting to see how others play the build.
"
laurent67 wrote:

have 8700+es.
Spoiler

Cold Snap has no cooldown if you're using it for clear. It eats Frenzy charges (which you get from killing with cold snap) to negate the cooldown.

So a ranged Vortex makes no sense to me as it just mimics Cold snap.
Last edited by Charl1eTango on Dec 20, 2019, 1:59:51 PM
Finding a great rhythm by shield charging/dashing and as soon as I see a pack, cold snap them, move past to the next mob, drop a vortex while passing, then cold snap the next and so on. Anyone else in this same type of cadence? Build feels great and having no trouble so far in yellow maps, and doing very well with metamorphs! I have tweaked this build though to incorporate acro/phase acro and I feel like it works well for me. I went full ES as well, which I know is odd... but trying something new!

Thanks for the build Gryph, loving it!
"
iGanc wrote:
Finding a great rhythm by shield charging/dashing and as soon as I see a pack, cold snap them, move past to the next mob, drop a vortex while passing, then cold snap the next and so on. Anyone else in this same type of cadence? Build feels great and having no trouble so far in yellow maps, and doing very well with metamorphs! I have tweaked this build though to incorporate acro/phase acro and I feel like it works well for me. I went full ES as well, which I know is odd... but trying something new!

Thanks for the build Gryph, loving it!

I would not recommend Acrobatics as it gives us a 30% less Energy Shield and 30% less chance to Block

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info