[3.7] Chunky Chargrill Chieftain - Incinerate CwC Volatile Dead - [2x Demigod winning build]

So... I've been thinking a bit.

Energy Leech gives up to 39% more spell damage while leeching ES - and with Blood Rage we should be constantly leeching, right? Isn't that a very good alternative to Controlled Destruction?

It seems there are so many options right now - even turning the character into a pure Incinerate build (possibly with RF for more dps). But I don't know how much damage we get from VD and if it would give us more dps to put Energy Leech and Infused Channeling (and possibly even the reworked Arcane Surge) into our main skill and go pure Incinerate...

Any thoughts?
Hey there,

I think I will go for this build as a starter, beacause of buffs to incinerate and no required uniques !

Question regarding elemental focus and combustion : we do lose the bonus -19% fire res if we can't apply burning with incinerate/volatile dead setup ?

Concerning controlled destruction replacement, I think Arcane Surge might be a good solution with no downside. At level 20, it should be constantly up (400 mana is not a lot if I'm not wrong), and gives a total of 43% more damage (1.20*1.19=1.43 because skill gem bonus and arcane surge buff are separate) without any downside compared to controlled destruction or elemental focus. On top of that, it also adds 19% increased cast speed and 1% mana regen. For this build, that previously didn't use Arcane Surge at all, I think this support gem is good. Of course, if we would get Arcane Surge by another means, it wouldn't be worth it.

Edit : well, maybe those 400 mana to spent are quite a lot after all. Incinerate base cost 4 mana at level 20, and with support gems it results in 4*1.4*1.2*1.4*1.3 = 12 mana per cast. If we have 15 cast/sec (attainable I think), it means we spen 15*12=180 mana/sec, so it would take 2.2sec to obtain arcane surge, that last 4 sec without duration bonus. So it may be difficult to maintain it during map clear, no problem for bosses though.

Energy Leech doesn't seem a good option, even if we perma-leech ES thanks to blood rage, it is "only" 39% more damage, so less than Arcane Surge/ControlledDestruction/Elemental Focus, without any other bonus.

Infused Channeling is a good defensive option with 8% less physical and fire damage taken. It gives 53% (1.39*1.10=1.53) more damage to incinerate (!!!), but only 10% more damage to Volatile Dead. I don't really know the repartition of damage between Incinerate and Volatile Dead, so I can't say if it's better or not damage-wise than Arcane Surge. But added defense is really nice, particularly if combined with "x% physical damage taken as fire" on gear (on top of the 10% we already got from Ramako ascendancy).

What do you guys think ?
Last edited by Zankai on Mar 8, 2019, 5:49:31 AM
"
Zankai wrote:
Hey there,

For this build, that previously didn't use Arcane Surge at all, I think this support gem is good. Of course, if we would get Arcane Surge by another means, it wouldn't be worth it.

Some variations of this build put Arcane Surge into other skills, such as the golem or Blood Rage. It's been the common way of triggering it in various builds up until now - so it doesn't HAVE to be in the main skill links - as long as you keep casting the other spells every once in a while. For this build it would probably be an idea to put it together with Desecrate as that's something that's being cast often.

Even though ES leech has a slightly lower More multiplier, you don't get the downsides of Ele Focus or Controlled Destruction, so maybe it's still a viable choice? Hard to say without proper calculations for the other gems and what we lose with less crit chance and no more burning respectively...
"
Zankai wrote:
Hey there,

I think I will go for this build as a starter, beacause of buffs to incinerate and no required uniques !

Question regarding elemental focus and combustion : we do lose the bonus -19% fire res if we can't apply burning with incinerate/volatile dead setup ?

Concerning controlled destruction replacement, I think Arcane Surge might be a good solution with no downside. At level 20, it should be constantly up (400 mana is not a lot if I'm not wrong), and gives a total of 43% more damage (1.20*1.19=1.43 because skill gem bonus and arcane surge buff are separate) without any downside compared to controlled destruction or elemental focus. On top of that, it also adds 19% increased cast speed and 1% mana regen. For this build, that previously didn't use Arcane Surge at all, I think this support gem is good. Of course, if we would get Arcane Surge by another means, it wouldn't be worth it.

Edit : well, maybe those 400 mana to spent are quite a lot after all. Incinerate base cost 4 mana at level 20, and with support gems it results in 4*1.4*1.2*1.4*1.3 = 12 mana per cast. If we have 15 cast/sec (attainable I think), it means we spen 15*12=180 mana/sec, so it would take 2.2sec to obtain arcane surge, that last 4 sec without duration bonus. So it may be difficult to maintain it during map clear, no problem for bosses though.

Energy Leech doesn't seem a good option, even if we perma-leech ES thanks to blood rage, it is "only" 39% more damage, so less than Arcane Surge/ControlledDestruction/Elemental Focus, without any other bonus.

Infused Channeling is a good defensive option with 8% less physical and fire damage taken. It gives 53% (1.39*1.10=1.53) more damage to incinerate (!!!), but only 10% more damage to Volatile Dead. I don't really know the repartition of damage between Incinerate and Volatile Dead, so I can't say if it's better or not damage-wise than Arcane Surge. But added defense is really nice, particularly if combined with "x% physical damage taken as fire" on gear (on top of the 10% we already got from Ramako ascendancy).

What do you guys think ?

The spill-over from Herald of Ash burns to proc that part of combustion - not great against bosses though - you need body's to spill over from.

I've gone with Infused channeling. The bottle-neck in terms of speed at the moment is getting those first couple of corpses to form, so ramping incinerate seems to be a good option for clear speed despite not helping VD scale
Hey,how hard is the loreweave nerf on this build and also with the recent changes to gems, do we pick ele focus or controlled destruction?

Also self casting desecrate better than the totem one or? And how do we play this actually now that we don't have totem to generate corpses?

Edit: And with the overall changes, has this build been buffed or slightly nerfed?
Edit 2: Forgot to ask, what do you think about infused channeling gem?
Last edited by Kayefsi on Mar 10, 2019, 7:23:35 AM
Update on 3.6: reached red maps.

PoB for reference: https://pastebin.com/00ZEAgkf

Since I got leech enchant on boots, I'm not using Warlord's Mark unless the boss doesn't spawn adds. A single cast of Desecrate is enough to burst bosses (tested up to tier 11 maps, with Vaal RF, Arcane Surge and Vaal Haste).

Brainfart edit: link Warlord's Mark with CWDT setup, it's better lol
Last edited by LoneWanderer1293 on Mar 11, 2019, 2:48:57 PM
I am running with critical strike chance on 4 items and play with controlled destruction like before. It's up pretty much all the time. I have another Spell to proc EO, but it's hardly needed like this
The dust is settling a little with all the new gem stats and so on.

Controlled destruction - Still seems fine in the set up I've tested, but it's one of those things you should be mindful of, keep an eye on your buffs and if it isn't up most of the time then perhaps look at how to achieve that or switch to another gem.

Elemental focus - With this most mobs other than the first pack of a map should be ignited by Herald of Ash effects, again be mindful of this. There is a possibility of using another source of ignite to make use of this but without testing it myself I can't say if it's worth it or not, personally I wouldn't be looking at a secondary source of ignite for how I enjoy to play.

Concentrated Effect - This is the one that I will probably be using the next time I play this build. Incinerate got a radius buff to +19 from +15 so it won't hurt the overall range of that too too much and the damage boost from conc effect is great for the incinerate, the volatile dead corpse explosion and the volatile dead spell itself.
I stream daily at twitch.tv/CellTank
"
Hey,how hard is the loreweave nerf on this build and also with the recent changes to gems, do we pick ele focus or controlled destruction?

Also self casting desecrate better than the totem one or? And how do we play this actually now that we don't have totem to generate corpses?

Edit: And with the overall changes, has this build been buffed or slightly nerfed?
Edit 2: Forgot to ask, what do you think about infused channeling gem?

The loreweave is still great for this sort of build even with the slight nerf, the current nerf equated to about 8% increased incoming elemental damage which still puts the loreweave at 12% increased elemental defence over other chest pieces.

I never used a desecrate totem once during betrayal league, the build works great without it. Shaper and guardians were smooth, red elder was a push over. For map clear you don't need to put corpses down at all as incinerate kills trash on its own, leaving corpses that it auto consumes to make the VD go off, the VD then goes and kills other things on its own that the incinerate consumes and the cycle of death and fire continues. It's pretty good!

As for the new channelling gem. I won't be looking to use it here as the VD does a lot for map clear and this gem does nothing for the VD. If you wanted to run a pure incinerate character (I am theory crafting one of these) then the infused channelling gem is great. But like I say, for this build I personally wouldn't be using it.
I stream daily at twitch.tv/CellTank
Last edited by Cellstorm on Mar 12, 2019, 7:05:54 AM
"
Cellstorm wrote:

Concentrated Effect - This is the one that I will probably be using the next time I play this build. Incinerate got a radius buff to +19 from +15 so it won't hurt the overall range of that too too much and the damage boost from conc effect is great for the incinerate, the volatile dead corpse explosion and the volatile dead spell itself.

I used Conc. Effect during leveling, but... T-rex arms... Even though we get the range of VD, I prefer being able to sweep my broom of death over my enemies and control who gets hit rather than leaving it up to VD. I'd like to do this from a certain (safe) distance.

I then tried for a while with Energy Shield Leech but I'm not disciplined enough to have Blood rage on all the time and thus my dps took a hit.

I didn't bother with Ele Focus. I'm planning to add RF later. I want things to burn!

I then had a period with Infused Channeling. It felt good, but the damage of VD wasn't really there - at least I don't think I imagined it.

Initially Controlled Destruction got my crit chance to 2,7%, which I thought was a little low - but after obtaining an Incinerate-enchanted Starkonja's I procc EO constantly so I'm fine with that for now.

lvl 83 currently and no content is stopping me, except for getting tier 5+ maps. =(

Did Atziri at lvl 72. Died once to trio and three times to the queen herself because of slow repositioning during the separation phase (flameblasts one-shot me @4200 hp) and occasionally clipped her mirror clone. Killed her with 1 portal remaining at least. =)
Last edited by Bizze79 on Mar 12, 2019, 7:21:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info