[3.11] Shaper = Stunned, Tidebreaker Heavy Strike Stunner Build

"
toilet94 wrote:
Hey there! Really nice build, I've been wanting to try this for awhile now but work's been busy. Gonna run this as my leaguestarter for 3.7. Do you think with the changes to accuracy, it might be viable to drop resolute technique for crit after all?

Also, the change to Molten Shell seems pretty darn strong as a defensive option. Though I'm not sure how much defensive options this build really needs, considering it stuns everything. Looking forward to your updated build! Thanks.

It's certainly very possible now to go crit, the problem here is if it's worth the investment. Currently Shaper has the biggest life pool and we can stun him easily. Adding crit can easily raise our DPS, but it also introduces more inconsistency in our damage and doesn't help stunning. And I currently estimate this build can do 3M-4M DPS - so why do we want more DPS when we can stun most bosses and kill them safely.

In other words, crit requires huge investments, but the only return we get is DPS. If we invest in attack speed we can clear faster, if we invest in defense we are tankier; both of these investments sound more useful to me than inconsistent spikes in damage.

Again, I am not saying it's not possible to make a crit version that does a couplr million more damage. It's just I find it hard to justify sacrificing anything else for it, considering I don't see a super effective way to stack crit.

For Molten Shell, we definitely welcome any defense mechanism. The only problem with Molten Shell is that we don't actually have a lot of armour... I think it depends on the numbers on Steelskin before we can decide which one is better for us.
Massive buffs to heavy strike!!!

Pride and new blood sand auras also seem very powerful for pure phys

Ruthless buffs!

Phys stuns 25% easier!!!!

This is gonna be a good patch. Expect tidebreaker to be pretty expensive early on.

Any word on new tree?
"
frawrst wrote:
Massive buffs to heavy strike!!!

Pride and new blood sand auras also seem very powerful for pure phys

Ruthless buffs!

Phys stuns 25% easier!!!!

This is gonna be a good patch. Expect tidebreaker to be pretty expensive early on.

Any word on new tree?

Definitely gonna be a good patch for this build. Now I think Shaper can probably be stun-locked on a 5-link.

There are so many changes in the tree and I am still trying to catch all the changes. My thoughts so far:

1. The only cluster we lost is Bloody Bludgeon, which is responsible for bleed chance. Not a big deal but maybe we need Chance to Bleed Support on Warchief now.

2. Spinecruncher and Kinetic Impacts (and Stun Mastery) offer double stun duration and r.E.S.T. They are definitely great nodes for stunning. The question now is if we need them.

3. Ribcage Crusher has some nice AoE nodes. The power level is pretty low though.

4. Disciple of the Unyielding isn't too bad.

5. Diamond Skin looks pretty good now. I wonder if it's a good idea to travel across Diamond Skin instead of Butchery.

6. Soul of Steel looks juicy.

7. Brinkmanship could be used for Heavy Strike AoE? Not sure how viable it would be.

Overall, there are now so many choices to make depending on the targeting content - AoE vs. stun duration, damage vs. tons of resists, etc. It's now impossible to find the "best tree".
Question... Do we even need tidebreaker now that physical damage can stun more easily? What about crafting a 2h mace, or using a 2h sword like starforge for more dps?
Last edited by SxqPower on Jun 5, 2019, 11:25:02 AM
I think the point of tidebreaker is the free endurance charge on stun link (effectively 24% more damage - 4% more damage per endurance charge, 6 endurance charges). The free endurance charge generation is also nice. I'm curious if running abyssal cry instead of enduring is fine because we already get endurance charges from tidebreaker.
"
brightwaha wrote:
"
toilet94 wrote:
Hey there! Really nice build, I've been wanting to try this for awhile now but work's been busy. Gonna run this as my leaguestarter for 3.7. Do you think with the changes to accuracy, it might be viable to drop resolute technique for crit after all?

Also, the change to Molten Shell seems pretty darn strong as a defensive option. Though I'm not sure how much defensive options this build really needs, considering it stuns everything. Looking forward to your updated build! Thanks.

It's certainly very possible now to go crit, the problem here is if it's worth the investment. Currently Shaper has the biggest life pool and we can stun him easily. Adding crit can easily raise our DPS, but it also introduces more inconsistency in our damage and doesn't help stunning. And I currently estimate this build can do 3M-4M DPS - so why do we want more DPS when we can stun most bosses and kill them safely.

In other words, crit requires huge investments, but the only return we get is DPS. If we invest in attack speed we can clear faster, if we invest in defense we are tankier; both of these investments sound more useful to me than inconsistent spikes in damage.

Again, I am not saying it's not possible to make a crit version that does a couplr million more damage. It's just I find it hard to justify sacrificing anything else for it, considering I don't see a super effective way to stack crit.

For Molten Shell, we definitely welcome any defense mechanism. The only problem with Molten Shell is that we don't actually have a lot of armour... I think it depends on the numbers on Steelskin before we can decide which one is better for us.

Ah thanks very much. This is very educational for my own buildcrafting. Can't wait to see your 3.7 passive tree!
"
SxqPower wrote:
Question... Do we even need tidebreaker now that physical damage can stun more easily? What about crafting a 2h mace, or using a 2h sword like starforge for more dps?

"
Kapitolist wrote:
I think the point of tidebreaker is the free endurance charge on stun link (effectively 24% more damage - 4% more damage per endurance charge, 6 endurance charges). The free endurance charge generation is also nice. I'm curious if running abyssal cry instead of enduring is fine because we already get endurance charges from tidebreaker.

Tidebreaker has a high damage and a high r.E.S.T. It's very very difficult to find a competitor in terms of stunning.

A good point is that we can now stun more easily, and I agree that Starforge might be another good choice now. I don't believe it would be a generally better choice but it indeed brings more options. I will plan around it later and see how good it performs.
"
frawrst wrote:
Any word on new tree?

"
toilet94 wrote:
Ah thanks very much. This is very educational for my own buildcrafting. Can't wait to see your 3.7 passive tree!

I have a new tree posted in the guide. It's now impossible to find a fixed tree as we are facing choices like stun duration vs. AoE... So I made this, and I am interested in what you guys think.
"
brightwaha wrote:
"
frawrst wrote:
Any word on new tree?

"
toilet94 wrote:

I have a new tree posted in the guide. It's now impossible to find a fixed tree as we are facing choices like stun duration vs. AoE... So I made this, and I am interested in what you guys think.

same build for berserker or slayer ?
"
Alykk wrote:
"
brightwaha wrote:

same build for berserker or slayer ?

Generally yes. The only major difference is going to be the starting point of the tree.

There are some minor differences like Slayer needs more attack speed, Berserker has 1 less gem socket as we need to use Warcry, Slayer may want to use Heavy Strike for clearing thus wants the +1 weapon range node more, etc., etc.

But you don't have to worry about these minor differences at all. You can basically play a Berserker build and then level a Slayer and use exactly the same gears for your Slayer.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info