[3.11] Shaper = Stunned, Tidebreaker Heavy Strike Stunner Build

"
brightwaha wrote:

You should invest into one of them (the 15% one). Depending on the skill / support gems, bleed may be as high as 10% of our damage, having that extra damage for 1 skill point is not bad.

Also, bleed helps against those "allies cannot die" aura. Once you killed the one carrying the aura, the rest will just die to bleeding damage.

Ah I see. If I say switch to pure physical and run blas+vul, is the 20% chance to bleed from vulnerability enough to forgo the the 15% node?
"
frawrst wrote:
HUGE stun changes, along with major phys vs ele / stun thresholds incoming

very excited for the patch tbh. im not sure if stun locking shaper will still be viable (i assume so) but it seems like pure buffs all around!

<3 brightwaha

Current pure-phys version can stun-lock Shaper no problem. So if that's the only change:

"Melee skills now have a longer base stun duration and cause stuns more easily. Spells have a shorter base stun duration. Physical damage (from attacks or spells) causes stuns more easily than elemental/chaos damage."

Then this is definitely a buff to this build.

However I really doubt that's the whole story. We still need to wait for more info to see what's gonna happen.
"
Kapitolist wrote:
"
brightwaha wrote:

You should invest into one of them (the 15% one). Depending on the skill / support gems, bleed may be as high as 10% of our damage, having that extra damage for 1 skill point is not bad.

Also, bleed helps against those "allies cannot die" aura. Once you killed the one carrying the aura, the rest will just die to bleeding damage.

Ah I see. If I say switch to pure physical and run blas+vul, is the 20% chance to bleed from vulnerability enough to forgo the the 15% node?

Yea I think then it's fair to do so. It's just 1 skill point, and if you're not using Bloodlust neither choices are game changers. You should feel free to make this choice by yourself.
"
brightwaha wrote:
"
frawrst wrote:
HUGE stun changes, along with major phys vs ele / stun thresholds incoming

very excited for the patch tbh. im not sure if stun locking shaper will still be viable (i assume so) but it seems like pure buffs all around!

<3 brightwaha

Current pure-phys version can stun-lock Shaper no problem. So if that's the only change:

"Melee skills now have a longer base stun duration and cause stuns more easily. Spells have a shorter base stun duration. Physical damage (from attacks or spells) causes stuns more easily than elemental/chaos damage."

Then this is definitely a buff to this build.

However I really doubt that's the whole story. We still need to wait for more info to see what's gonna happen.

agreed, the pure phys looks amazing

it looks like they are adding weapon specific support gems, maybe something like "slower hit but more dmg" for maces??? thus enabling bigger single hits for stun

plus with the single target animations now allowing for multi hits.... melee splash gem / slayer impact could be less mandatory

ground slam / sunder was already great for map clear

i also may have purchased a div card specifically with this build in mind... <3
"
frawrst wrote:
agreed, the pure phys looks amazing

it looks like they are adding weapon specific support gems, maybe something like "slower hit but more dmg" for maces??? thus enabling bigger single hits for stun

plus with the single target animations now allowing for multi hits.... melee splash gem / slayer impact could be less mandatory

ground slam / sunder was already great for map clear

i also may have purchased a div card specifically with this build in mind... <3

Yea the slower hit support gem might be interesting. Although we DO want moderate hit rate for Ruthless coverage. Maybe it's possible to replace Ruthless with the new gem? Maybe.

The multi hits with single target is interesting. Although it only hits in a cone and cannot hit anyone behind the 1st target you hit. I think even if you have Herald of Ash and Ancestral Call, clearing with Heavy Strike is not going to be satisfying without a real splash.
"
brightwaha wrote:

Yea the slower hit support gem might be interesting. Although we DO want moderate hit rate for Ruthless coverage. Maybe it's possible to replace Ruthless with the new gem? Maybe.

Seems like they incorporate Ruthless in some gems by default (at least Glacial Hammer, cf Jonathan interview), I guess that means a rework of the Ruthless gem itself...

Hope they don't change stun and gems too much (cause some people whine on baeclast that we shouldn't stun shaper & cie ...), was really looking forward to play your build again !!!
Last edited by Kirbynou on May 28, 2019, 3:55:49 AM
"
Kirbynou wrote:
Seems like they incorporate Ruthless in some gems by default (at least Glacial Hammer, cf Jonathan interview), I guess that means a rework of the Ruthless gem itself...

Hope they don't change stun and gems too much (cause some people whine on baeclast that we shouldn't stun shaper & cie ...), was really looking forward to play your build again !!!

The change Glacial Hammer is receiving is similar to Ruthless, but according to Jonathan it's going to make it easier to freeze bosses. I think it's similar to but not exactly the same as Ruthless.

It sounds like GGG is satisfied with the current state of Ruthless in terms of stunning so that they want to apply it to freezing as well - and with that in mind I don't think Ruthless will be gone, maybe they will tweak it a little bit but I bet there will not be a major rework.

I think it would be reasonable if they make it harder to stun Shaper. They already made it that non-physical damage is less effective at stunning. It's a huge nerf to the mixed damage version, but we will still be able to stun-lock Shaper no problem if that's the only nerf we're receiving.

So, I am also hoping that they don't change stun too much, at least make Syndicate members not immune to stuns please. And as long as they don't nerf stun too much, the mobility and quality of life changes that melee and slow 2H is receiving is going to outweigh any other changes in my opinion. Then 3.7 will be a really good league for this build.
Hey Bright,

I'm looking at your python simulation code and the defaults you left for the min/max damage was in the range of 100k-500k ish damage. My numbers from PoB are ~30k-100k damage. I know I'm running a 5-link but I don't think that a single gem will account for that much damage. What am I missing?
"
Kapitolist wrote:
Hey Bright,

I'm looking at your python simulation code and the defaults you left for the min/max damage was in the range of 100k-500k ish damage. My numbers from PoB are ~30k-100k damage. I know I'm running a 5-link but I don't think that a single gem will account for that much damage. What am I missing?

You're probably looking at my mixed damage version Berserker with Multistrike, with has damage range of 150k to 490k. My mixed damage Berserker without Multistrike has 284k to 910k, and my pure phys Berserker has 220k to 670k. Since you're playing the pure phys version, you should compare your numbers to this 220k to 670k.

The difference you're seeing comes from 2 reasons - PoB settings and items.

PoB
Spoiler

I imported your profile into PoB, and I noticed that without making any changes in the configuration section, you have around 30k-100k damage, which matches what you said. So it tells me you have not set up PoB correctly.

You need to open the "Configuration" page and select whatever applies (full life, frenzy and endurance charges, rage stacks, bleeding, maimed, etc.). You can load my PoB page and see what I selected. Also for the sake of planning I usually adjust all gems to 20/20 in the PoB page.

It's important to note that you want to select Shaper/Guardian in the "IS the enemy a Boss" checkbox in the Configuration section. There are some debatable options like "Have you Killed Recently" or "Is Banner Planted"; I usually leave them unchecked because in reality I never remembered to plant my banner.

You can also uncheck gems in the Skills section. I usually leave all Vaal gems unchecked because we don't always have Vaal charges. You should also uncheck Enduring Cry so that you can see if you have positive net life regen. Make sure you check the normal Ancestral Warchief after unchecking the Vaal version.

Also you want to enable your flasks. It's very rare that a fight doesn't end before running out of damage flasks, so I always enable all my flasks.

After changing the configuration settings and setting gems to 20/20, I am seeing 650k DPS and damage ranges from 75k to 250k. Note that PoB doesn't recognize Ryslatha's Coil, so your real DPS should be around 23% higher, so around 800k.

Here is the PoB page of your character: https://pastebin.com/fVKzZ52s

Items
Spoiler

After setting up the PoB page correctly, there is still a damage difference (75k to 250k compared to 220k to 670k).

This difference indeed mostly comes from the 6-link. You're lacking Bloodlust, which is the difference between 1m DPS and 1.6m DPS. This will account for 50% of the damage gap.

Other than that, your next damage upgrades should come from your helm enchant and gloves. A Tombfist with Vulnerability corruption is going to offer quite a lot of damage; while Empire's Grasp is nice to have, it does nothing on paper. These 2 upgrades will account for 25% of the damage gap.

You can also find minor upgrades for most pieces of items you have; each upgrade is not going to be huge but collectively they can make a difference. Leveling up a bit and having more passive points also contributes to your damage. These will be the last 25% of the damage gap.

Bright,

First of all thank you for the detailed replay. I really appreciate the time you put into helping the people who post in this thread.

"
brightwaha wrote:

A Tombfist with Vulnerability corruption is going to offer quite a lot of damage; while Empire's Grasp is nice to have, it does nothing on paper. These 2 upgrades will account for 25% of the damage gap.

I thought the whole point of empire's grasp was to prevent HS knockback pushing your target out of range. While a tombfist would increase your paper dps, in practicality will it not push your target away?

"
brightwaha wrote:

Note that PoB doesn't recognize Ryslatha's Coil, so your real DPS should be around 23% higher, so around 800k.

Your simulation code seems to already account for ryslatha's; there's no need to manually adjust the min/max damage when intializing those variable right? (Just past them in as I see in PoB?)

I'm not at home right now, but I'll run the numbers again with your suggested changes.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Kapitolist on May 29, 2019, 3:34:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info