Viper Strike

"
Vipermagi wrote:
RogueMage may be pulling a GGG. Read his words carefully; he explicitly mentions 'damage listed in the skill slot'. I haven't checked with 1.0.2, but it's possible the Skill Tooltip simply shows Base Damage per Second, thus not including damage modifiers.

Two-hand/Sword Passives are Physical-only, whereas Viper Strike deals Chaos Damage over Time. They won't work anyways because the damage types aren't compatible. The equivalent of PA's Projectile Damage would be Melee Damage, but those Passives are also Physical-only. Get fucked Viper Strike. :p

some uniques would buff it's damage like:

redbeak
le heup

can't think of others^^
"
shroudb wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Two-hand/Sword Passives are Physical-only, whereas Viper Strike deals Chaos Damage over Time. They won't work anyways because the damage types aren't compatible. The equivalent of PA's Projectile Damage would be Melee Damage, but those Passives are also Physical-only. Get fucked Viper Strike. :p

redbeak
le heup

can't think of others^^

Redbeak requires a low-life build for its damage boost to work.

Current POE.XYZ b/o on Le Heup of All: 8-15 Exalts
Last edited by RogueMage on Nov 30, 2013, 3:05:52 PM
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
shroudb wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:

redbeak
le heup

can't think of others^^

Redbeak requires a low-life build for its damage boost to work.

Current POE.XYZ b/o on Le Heup of All: 8-15 Exalts

didn't actually say that it would be easy or even viable as it stands now, just pointed out.

there is also that cheap unique helmet (like 1c worth?) that gives +20% melee damage... completly forget it's name atm.

but even with all those, it will only get something like 140% bonus IF you are on a low life build.

so sacrificing so much both in survivability (low life) and in item slots... just to get something like 40-50% extra damage from what it was is yes, completly overnerfed ability.

the problem (imo) isn't with the VS or with the dot changes. The problem is with the lackluster melee nodes. Passive tree NEEDS nodes that give +x% increased melee damage. Not physical, not elemental, simply "melee".

all other types of damage have it. range? projectile damage nodes. spells? spell node, etc (imagine if there were ANY spell damage nodes and only x% fire/cold/lighting spell damage nodes p.e.)
<redacted>
Personal Item Filter(s):
https://www.pathofexile.com/item-filter/Rxpet8
Last edited by Censurri on Apr 13, 2021, 9:54:04 AM
Fun Fact

In merciless difficulty, if a rare dock hand wraith spawns with life regen its innate chaos resistance allow it to out regen the chaos damage DOT.

AKA

A level 62 rare cant be killed by this skill's DOT. At this point the best option is to just limit it to a monster only skill.
Finally was able to try this skill out last night. I basically don't have any way to boost the damage so far. As the 60% melee damage neck doesn't spawn on nemesis, and the other items lose too much hp and resists, about the only thing I have going for me is blood dancer boots.

Although kind of cool and fun, the damage is obviously way too low, and I am still unable to sustain the skill so far with clarity running. So if I can fix that problem first in some way, I have no problem getting life back, and tanking in mobs to apply the viper strikes. It just has piss poor damage. Even without damage nodes and a poor dps weapon I will do more damage with just about any other skill, and my viper strike weapon is pretty good for viper strike.

And seeing as I am on nemesis I don't see this truly being viable. For instance it is just about impossible to get the main items that can make this skill good. Which is shavronnes, two redbeaks, 60% amulet. Thats 260% increased damage that just about no one has access to on nemesis. The rest of the items available can add a very small dps boost, but how is it really worth it when the items are garbage for everything else you need to survive?

Got to remember too that this is a skill that doesn't leech mana or life, so you would think it would compensate somehow by being strong in some way, i guess it applies and stays on and you can leave, but it is hardly able to be considered powerful. Especially when to get the most versatility out of it, you really need more socket supports, yet we are stuck using 3 link.
1.0.2 b
viper strike as a core skill - RIP ((
"
nameforgame wrote:
1.0.2 b
viper strike as a core skill - RIP ((

I don't see 1.0.3 reviving it either. Maybe we will be able to get the damage up a little, but at what cost? for a skill that doesn't allow leeching we have to make up for it in other ways.
<redacted>
Personal Item Filter(s):
https://www.pathofexile.com/item-filter/Rxpet8
Last edited by Censurri on Apr 13, 2021, 9:54:11 AM
The tooltip explicitly lists Base damage, ie. without modifiers. It's probably because it takes a whole different set of modifiers than the Hit damage, and I doubt the engine supports that currently.

The Increased Damage modifier should apply, yes.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 4, 2013, 6:26:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info