Molten Strike

Used this skill for a bit, lvls 1-35 so far.

Mechanics are the same as Lightning Strike from what i can determine. ie all melee physical damage input does not effect the projectiles.

I found that increased aoe, via a huge 40% from a shrine, increases the area that the bombs can impact in and does increase the radius of the bomb explosion, though the aoe on the bombs is so small, probably less then 5 radius.

The main shinning point of this skill is that one target can be hit by multiple bombs at once. With an average of 1 bomb hitting the target each swing you get 120% base damage + 72% base dmg as a projectile. so that's ~190% base damage per hit.
"
Dzwonsson wrote:
Apparently Molten Strike works different that Lightning Strike. I tested it with both MPD and WED, magma balls deal more dmg with MPD in it. Also, dunno about Lightning Strike, but Molten's projectiles get affected even by Hatred.

How do you determine this, as there is no indication in tooktips forr just projectiles damage?
"
eshiro wrote:
"
Dzwonsson wrote:
Apparently Molten Strike works different that Lightning Strike. I tested it with both MPD and WED, magma balls deal more dmg with MPD in it. Also, dunno about Lightning Strike, but Molten's projectiles get affected even by Hatred.

How do you determine this, as there is no indication in tooktips forr just projectiles damage?
Nope, it's observation, just watch how fast mobs' hp goes down when hit with MPD/WED. Also, mobs hit by projectiles get chilled from Hatred. IMO, the description of the gem is pretty accurate. Molten's physical/fire dmg causes magma projectiles. So why wouldn't pdmg affect it?
Last edited by Dzwonsson on May 2, 2014, 12:11:43 PM
I want to theorycraft avatar of fire a bit and maybe get some input.

Avatar has insane benefits for this skill. making 100% of you damage as fire means all of your damage now benefits 100% from elemental damage boosts and elemental weakness. That means all your passive weapon ele and ele dmg, your gear ele dmg, WED gem and all that damage is further increased by other multiplicative bonuses like point blank, shocks stacks etc.

It has drawbacks too though. First off, dealing 100% fire means that fire penetration gem is now 100% essential. If not curse immune ele resist mobs will be hell and heavily ele resist rares will suck too. With that in mind lets look at skill gem placement. Molten Strike, multistrike and fire pen are core. Obv you need a life gem for anything that isnt a joke so now we we are at 4. Blood magic will probably be essential because we can now no longer get mana leech from jewlery and gloves (at least this lets us run 1 more 60% aura).... so now we are at 5 gems and we have not even socketed our bread and butter WED gem, FUUUUUUUUUUUUU. We are now looking at one of those builds where a 6l is fkin essential, but at least all gems are red so until then you can freely swap gems around for whatever the situation.

Another drawback is reflect. With 40% of your damage being phys and life on hit, managing reflect is easy. Without it you MIGHT be forced to take ROTP shield and I don't want to. I am hoping that 89% fire resist and 20/20 life gain on hit gem will make single reflect doable and double reflect doable if you pop a flask. This is something that I will have to find out as I go.

Finally we have hatred. With avatar, hatred will suck but we can replace it with anger, which should still get decent boosts from all our fire boosting gems, gear and passives... as long as we have a fast attacking weapon.
Last edited by Splift on May 2, 2014, 12:28:43 PM
"
Dzwonsson wrote:
"
eshiro wrote:
"
Dzwonsson wrote:

Nope, it's observation, just watch how fast mobs' hp goes down when hit with MPD/WED. Also, mobs hit by projectiles get chilled from Hatred. IMO, the description of the gem is pretty accurate. Molten's physical/fire dmg causes magma projectiles. So why wouldn't pdmg affect it?

I am almost 100% sure Melee Physical Damage gem and Melee only passives don't increase the damage of the projectiles (but it's so goddamn hard to test, GGG PLEASE). You seem to be forgetting something when looking at getting chilled, the projectiles do the SAME damage as the initial hit (only 40% less). They aren't pure fire, they are 40% phys / 60% fire.
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on May 2, 2014, 12:41:42 PM
The mechanics have been discussed at length in the lightning strike thread. Its possible that Melee phys gem increases the projectiles (its very hard to test), but if it does its an oversight or bug and will be fixed.

The summary.

-Phys % damage (oak bonus) will help it

-melee phys damage gem and passives will only help the melee hit

-Weapon specific nodes will help it

The reasoning is that the projectiles are not melee so melee specific bonuses shouldn't work. Weapon nodes however, are not specific to melee attacks, they are specific to melee weapons and these projectiles are derived from a melee weapon.

Also hatred boosts all phys (think ek or bear trap) even if 100% of that phys is later converted to ele. It is not specific to melee attacks.
Last edited by Splift on May 2, 2014, 12:54:04 PM
"
Splift wrote:
I want to theorycraft avatar of fire a bit and maybe get some input.

Avatar has insane benefits for this skill. making 100% of you damage as fire means all of your damage now benefits 100% from elemental damage boosts and elemental weakness. That means all your passive weapon ele and ele dmg, your gear ele dmg, WED gem and all that damage is further increased by other multiplicative bonuses like point blank, shocks stacks etc.

It has drawbacks too though. First off, dealing 100% fire means that fire penetration gem is now 100% essential. If not curse immune ele resist mobs will be hell and heavily ele resist rares will suck too. With that in mind lets look at skill gem placement. Molten Strike, multistrike and fire pen are core. Obv you need a life gem for anything that isnt a joke so now we we are at 4. Blood magic will probably be essential because we can now no longer get mana leech from jewlery and gloves (at least this lets us run 1 more 60% aura).... so now we are at 5 gems and we have not even socketed our bread and butter WED gem, FUUUUUUUUUUUUU. We are now looking at one of those builds where a 6l is fkin essential, but at least all gems are red so until then you can freely swap gems around for whatever the situation.

Another drawback is reflect. With 40% of your damage being phys and life on hit, managing reflect is easy. Without it you MIGHT be forced to take ROTP shield and I don't want to. I am hoping that 89% fire resist and 20/20 life gain on hit gem will make single reflect doable and double reflect doable if you pop a flask. This is something that I will have to find out as I go.

Finally we have hatred. With avatar, hatred will suck but we can replace it with anger, which should still get decent boosts from all our fire boosting gems, gear and passives... as long as we have a fast attacking weapon.

I not think hatred will suck, its added as, and I think it works, and adds +/-36%dps
I not think reflect will be a problem at all, if you link GMP
7projectiles*66.6% of them hitting*45loh*5aps=1048 loh per second per target
1048/0.3double reflect/0.25resist = 13.9k projectile dps needed to drain life from yourself
(I did a molten strike cwdt-lvlup-discharge test this day, with -60resist vs reflect monsters, and my molten strike loh overhealed the full reflect from a critting 5k discharge vs multiple monsters)
"
Tommyvv wrote:

I not think hatred will suck, its added as, and I think it works, and adds +/-36%dps
I not think reflect will be a problem at all, if you link GMP
7projectiles*66.6% of them hitting*45loh*5aps=1048 loh per second per target
1048/0.3double reflect/0.25resist = 13.9k projectile dps needed to drain life from yourself
(I did a molten strike cwdt-lvlup-discharge test this day, with -60resist vs reflect monsters, and my molten strike loh overhealed the full reflect from a critting 5k discharge vs multiple monsters)
If you take avatar of fire then hatred will be cut in half and turned to fire, effectivly halving the damage.

I dont really like the idea of gmp because like I already said we are already stressed for sockets and having your damage cut in half to get +4 projectiles (on a skill that already has 3 + your melee hit) is not really efficient imo.
Too lazy to integrate quotes, but I'm mainly directing this post to Splift. I think there is good potential in AoF and you're right that a lot of gems are required. Here's what a 5L would look like:

Molten Strike - Multistrike, Fire Penetration, Life Gain on Hit, Weapon Elemental Damage (this assumes the skill works like Lightning Strike; if it doesn't, then Melee Physical Damage might be a choice)

*Also forgot to mention Physical Projectile Attack Damage. Who really knows what benefits Molten Strike the most.

Molten Strike actually has a relatively low mana cost and since you are using Multistrike, you're mana efficient because you get 3 attacks out of one use of the skill. If you get one cluster of mana/mregen passives on the tree (e.g. Mana Flows in Duelist tree), I think you'll be fine sustaining the skill without Blood Magic.

I also agree that GMP is a bad idea, as the damage penalty is too high in combination with the penalty already on the Molten Strike gem. LMP might be okay, but I'd opt for Faster Attacks or Physical Projectile Attack Damage (or Melee Physical Damage, or Added Fire Damage, or...Idk).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBhLZ8rn80Q&feature=youtu.be

Molten strike Chainreacting into everlasting Molten Shell explosions!

so my melee attack from molten attack reflect = trigger cwdt (5*linked up molten shell-cwdt on the video (atm lvl1)
my 0selfdamage from molten attack projectiles = trigger molten shell explosion (without even trigger cwdt)
meanwhile my cwdt-physical spells helps all tresholds (without even trigger cwdt)
monster damage = trigger cwdt

e/
mixed lvl moltens atm!

e2/
and GGG tells me I not need to know monster armor ratings to increase my 0selfdamage to 1selfdamage?
Last edited by Tommyvv on May 2, 2014, 8:41:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info