:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

After being behind on it for a while, I finally made the decision to drop Neverland for now. Not because it's bad by any means, quite the opposite. It's phenomenal. It delivers the premise PERFECTLY.

But it's just too much for me. Call me a coward or whatever, but I just can't handle that show. At all.

I will likely come back to it for binging when it's finished though, just to be DONE with it. But for now... no thanks. I just can't.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
PS I'm still fucking jittery about meeting Dark-Schneider.

thanks for reminding me theres an anime of that. i loved the manga back then even after it got extremly wild. But well back then was time of christian mythology in japanese fiction :>
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
tsunamikun wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
PS I'm still fucking jittery about meeting Dark-Schneider.

thanks for reminding me theres an anime of that. i loved the manga back then even after it got extremly wild. But well back then was time of christian mythology in japanese fiction :>

I suppose. Kenshin's a pretty obvious Christ figure. X/1999 had its share of Christian mythology through Karen, but it had just as much Eastern as well -- I found that series really well-balanced in its religious elements. Eva, well, we don't need to go there.

Bastard!!'s dip into Christian mythology was certainly no deeper than its dip into heavy metal name-snatching. Angels are badasses and Hell's a bad place.

Hagiwara never did finish the manga, but I got up to vol 26 of the tankobon. And a few years back I acquired 8 deluxe volumes of the series, that probably go up to about that I guess. Shit does get pretty wild once the angels are inevitably called into play.

he tried to be deep later on with the female lead becoming lilith and DS as lucifier, last defender of humanity etc. I just think he wrote himself into a corner and nover got out. I have read it to number 25, after that the printing company dropped it here i think. Still i still love his Art, you could see the improvements from book to book. good times :) The namesnatching helped btw, back then already listenend to metal and was at that age where I found that hilarious.

hmm when i think about there was also eden: it's an endless world which gave this christian vibe. Also an awesome read, but obviously something like this won't get an anime adaption.
"
FCK42 wrote:
After being behind on it for a while, I finally made the decision to drop Neverland for now. Not because it's bad by any means, quite the opposite. It's phenomenal. It delivers the premise PERFECTLY.

But it's just too much for me. Call me a coward or whatever, but I just can't handle that show. At all.

I will likely come back to it for binging when it's finished though, just to be DONE with it. But for now... no thanks. I just can't.

Now, you're making me not want to see it. I just got caught in the endless ad loop in Crunchyroll and had to download the episodes myself.
(⌐■_■)
"
RPGlitch wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:

Now, you're making me not want to see it. I just got caught in the endless ad loop in Crunchyroll and had to download the episodes myself.

You should definitely try watching it. Just because it wasn't for me doesn't mean that you won't enjoy it. I'm... not really good with stuff like it. I can handle it to some degree, but I'm much more the type to go for a nice slice of life, a rom-com or even a drama occasionally. I'm currently trying so hard not to spoil the first episode... even a look at the genres can be a spoiler for Neverland. Basically anything else beyond what I said would count as a spoiler so... yeah. Not the type of show I'd follow weekly, more a binge kind of thing for me.

Very slight Neverland spoilers
Well, and somewhat Shinsekai Yori spoilers. Already mentioning that show is pretty much the Neverland spoiler.
If you already know the gist of it... it gave me some SERIOUS Shinsekai Yori vibes. And that show took me to hell and back... just to throw me deeper into hell. It's EXTREMELY well executed. It is worth watching, but it WILL mess you up mentally, at least if you really let it sink in for a bit. And even if you think you're done with it, it throws one last twist at you that completely changes how you look at it's world. It's nerve wrecking, thrilling and unsettling to the very core. It's also incredibly good, well made and absolutely nails everything it wants to tell you. Which is precisely why I will most definitely NEVER watch it again. Not with all that knowledge I got from watching it that would only make it oh so much worse on a rewatch. It's the type of show where knowing what's about to happen and why is not something that makes it easier to deal with.

And I've seen Neverland go in a slightly similar direction. I know I won't be able to handle it if I watch it on a weekly basis.

But the stuff Shinsekai Yori did to me... can I call it bordering on traumatising? I don't know if it qualifies, but it makes you ask yourself and the show questions you hope you'd never have to ask anyone or anything for that matter. I might be overreacting, but it felt that way to me. I should probably just stop talking about it, or rather, stop THINKING about it.
I thought shinsekai yori was genius.

I can understand how it messes with your mind if you never did shadow work though.
Simply put i'm used to looking at my more cruel and darker self and aknowledging it as an integral piece of myself.

The whole sheme of shinsekai has this very dubious vibe throughout the show with a real kicker at the end and it relentlesly put's "what is human" in a different context.

It does so effortlesly and realitistically from a meta-emotional perspective.

I love how thought provoking it is and the questions it demands you answer, it's a very solid show for people who tend to keep on the surface layer when contemplating what it means to be human.

And i can write all that without spoilering anything, because whatever you think is comming in that show, your most likely gonna be wrong if you never watched it.

Damn, now i feel like re-watching it and i got other stuff currently to view.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I'd still call that a spoiler, boem.
"
Boem wrote:

I can understand how it messes with your mind if you never did shadow work though.
Simply put i'm used to looking at my more cruel and darker self and aknowledging it as an integral piece of myself.

The whole sheme of shinsekai has this very dubious vibe throughout the show with a real kicker at the end and it relentlesly put's "what is human" in a different context.

I love how thought provoking it is and the questions it demands you answer, it's a very solid show for people who tend to keep on the surface layer when contemplating what it means to be human.

And i can write all that without spoilering anything, because whatever you think is comming in that show, your most likely gonna be wrong if you never watched it.

Peace,

-Boem-

I'd call all that a spoiler simply because of how... normal it starts. It appears to be your usual fantasy mystery series at the beginning before turning to unsettling psychological horror. Very similar with Neverland. Just about anything one can say about that show ruins the twist in the first episode. Heck, even mentioning that it's Shinsekai Yori levels of unsettling would warrant a spoiler imo. I tend to be careful when it comes to spoiling stuff.
"

It was genius, but i don't think i would watch it again. It was a journey where hope and despair fought constantly in my perception. Now through, i know whats waiting at the end :)

@ neverland: I actually find it kind of boring right now. there is no real danger, as the framework of the world itself it pretty rigid. And the antagonists seem to content with doing nothing since episode 1. While it is not that bad, i kinda think it's overhyped.
"
FCK42 wrote:
I'd still call that a spoiler, boem.
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

I'd call all that a spoiler simply because of how... normal it starts. It appears to be your usual fantasy mystery series at the beginning before turning to unsettling psychological horror. Very similar with Neverland. Just about anything one can say about that show ruins the twist in the first episode. Heck, even mentioning that it's Shinsekai Yori levels of unsettling would warrant a spoiler imo. I tend to be careful when it comes to spoiling stuff.

Maybe it's because it was already very apparent to me on the first episode that everything was "too normal", i mean every story in essence has a twist to it even a comedy.

I'm pretty confident most people are aware of this when starting to watch a show, the surprise is how the story teller presents that twist or from what angle they approuch a topic.

And shinsekai yori is genius exactly because of that.

You can tell people "there's a twist in it" but i am quite confident that even if you do, it will catch them off gaurd if that's all you say.
Even when your on the look out for it, it's gonna overwhelm.

It's like saying "neverland has a twist in it", well your still not gonna guess it untill you've seen episode one i think.

I can spoiler my previous post's if you like, but i don't think saying an anime has a twist is anything out of the ordinary since all of them do in some fashion. It's like saying the sky is blue sort of thing a commonality that doesn't reveal anything new.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : typo
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Mar 1, 2019, 8:27:26 AM
Fair point. Ok then. Maybe I'm just paranoid when it comes to spoilering stuff.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info