:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Just finished reading all of the neverland manga because I hate waiting. I'd say the anime doesn't do the manga as much justice as it should. And...my thoughts in the least spoiler way comparing it with the Shinsekai Yori.

Spoiler

Neverland is more comparable to Attack on Titans and a classical shounen with a bit of edginess. It never reaches that level of Shinsekai Yori level mind-fuckery, the hopelessness of being outclassed by forces way out of your control or the deeper themes of teen sexuality (the bonobos scene). Danm, Shinsekai Yori gave me PTSD and was a masterful story. I don't think there are many things that can compare to the despair and depression it inflicts on the reader.

Also, from a story perspective on Neverland. Trying not to spoil anything, but spoiler tags anyway.

Spoiler

It definitely suffers from mid-writer crisis later on, with the story less coherent, the longer the manga keeps going. It's a big disappointing for a manga with such a great start. It's in a bit of a weird rut right now. Kinda like Made in the Abyss's current manga arc.

Also, I just got to watch Tanya the Evil in deutsch (german) and danm was Tanya's voice absolutely perfect. It sounds like a 16 year old, instead of a 10 or 12 year old Tanya, but holy shit does german sound good on this anime.
(⌐■_■)
Dororo is gettting really interesting now. Can't wait to see the inevitable confrontation between the different parties involved.
Slight Dororo spoiler for today's episode
Dororo was a girl? They did a pretty good job at keeping that a secret until now. Either that or I'm fucking stupid for not picking up on that earlier. Both things sound equally likely to me.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
^That looks yummy, enjoy.

I don't think i have seen those new fate things, which is good in it's own way, means i got something on the backburner to watch when a season fails me.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
That does sound and look pretty awesome.
Meanwhile I'm thinking about watching Alita : Battle Angel again, this time in the closest iMax cinema. Which is weird to me, because I never before watched a movie more than once in a cinema. So why now? I don't know. Maybe it's just that good, maybe I'm just overhyping it. Who knows.
I definitely buy it on bluray when it's released.

PS: Obligatory "it's great, if you haven't seen it yet, go watch it"
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I woke up and was like, okay. Deep breath. More Asuka today. Literally half-excited, half-dreading.

I am slightly confused, who/what is Asuka (assuming you aren't referring to a certain Eva pilot)?

Regarding the Alita live-action adaptation (those words still give me the chills when typing, it just doesn't feel right), there is a reason James Cameron bought the rights for the series and sat on them for about 20 years. He more or less said that Avatar was pretty much a tech demo for the technology he wanted to use to make Alita.
If you take a look at reviews (user reviews, not ones from the self-proclaimed "professional critics", there's some drama going on right now, it's probably better not to get too into that rabbit hole), just about everyone says that 1) it's a really good movie, 2) Rosa Salazar and Christoph Waltz are fantastic actors and most importantly 3) It's supposedly pretty close to the source material, with only minor tweaks which still fit logically into the narrative (which is likely due to Cameron being responsible for the script, him being an advocate of sci-fi that's grounded in reality). I haven't read the source material (yet), so I sadly cannot say much about the last part. I CAN say however, that it absolutely felt unapologetically anime.

I feel like I'm talking about this movie way too much. Just tell me to shut it if it's too much, I'm pretty bad at reading between the lines when it comes to that in particular.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I woke up and was like, okay. Deep breath. More Asuka today. Literally half-excited, half-dreading.

I am slightly confused, who/what is Asuka (assuming you aren't referring to a certain Eva pilot)?

A few posts back:

"
Added Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka. Well, found this season's Goblin Slayer. Gruesome shit. Gate meets Madoka. Had to take a little break after 3 episodes of that, but I'm intrigued and Lidenfilms (Hanebado!, As Miss Beelzebub likes it, Arslan) typically animate well above the average. Some really nice combat in there and they seem to be going to great lengths to animate background characters a lot more than they really need to. Nice flex.

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka. 1/3 Gate, 1/3 Madoka, 1/3 Claymore. 100% *fucked up*.

Oooook, yeah, no, sorry, but I'm gonna pass on that. That seems too wild a mix for me to handle.
Thanks for clarifying :)
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:

I feel like I'm talking about this movie way too much. Just tell me to shut it if it's too much, I'm pretty bad at reading between the lines when it comes to that in particular.

Two things you never have to do. Sell me on something I've made clear I'm sold on, and keep pushing something I've made clear will probably never happen. I just tried to do the 'let's go to the movies' thing (the cinema is just down the road, we have an open schedule) and it immediately veered into 'yeah, Captain Marvel's out right?' I brought up Alita, she went dark. Even said I could just go see it by myself (...ouch).

Not happening. Talk about it all you want, but I'm out due to peripheral emotional damage.

I'm sorry then. Not much else to say here.
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa deserve a better anime adpatation
Spoiler
Last edited by lontramagic on Mar 8, 2019, 9:45:48 AM
"
lontramagic wrote:
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa deserve a better anime adpatation

It's been quite a while since I've seen that... I liked it, though it could use a sequel imo. IIRC it came out around the same time as Monster Musume... which, back then, I found hilarious for some reason.
There appear to be a couple of episodes for zoku owarimonogatari out already. The arc it's following seems quite interesting to me. And, well, it's monogatari. Difficult to describe as always, but great nonetheless.

Edit: Wait, it's supposed to be a movie... huh, weird. As is the series in general. So maybe it WAS intended afterall? That stuff's confusing.
Last edited by FCK42 on Mar 8, 2019, 9:40:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info