Unpredictable Vulkan crashes with vk::Device::waitForFences: ErrorDeviceLost

Same issue
League start went good, finished campaing without any crashes.The next day i woke up and got that issue. I was playing on dx11, tried vulcan - didnt help, i switched back on dx11 and now its unplayedble
Seems like a nvidia gpu problem :thinking:
i5 12600k

Last edited by BlackpawYB on Aug 24, 2022, 3:33:24 AM
Same Issue for me
Amount of Crashes last 24hrs
Same problem today, and from what I see there is no solution, and the saddest thing is that no person related to support says anything, after reading the thread..

I've been losing portals for days without stopping, drop etc... I've tried all the possible configurations in the game and there is none that works, sometimes you can play for a while without having a problem, but suddenly it fails continuously...

The error of log: [CRIT Client 21256] [D3D12] graphics_queue->Signal failed
Last edited by SirVikings on Aug 28, 2022, 12:15:30 AM
I've been having the issue with crashes since 3.18 ( i think it was the dx12b update ) but I think i found the solution. I am referring to crashes with vk_waitforfences, vk_errordevicelost, dx11 failing to load into instance (loadin, loadin.. crash to desktop) and dx12b feezing game for 3-4 sec and then crash to desktop with no errors. All of the above with seemingly no cause and at completely random times.

So after a lot of research I am now on day 4 with 0 crashes so far (PoE running 24/7 even when im not playing just to test) so it seems to work.

I am not a tech person so I won't even try to describe or explain the specific reasons why it happens but the culprit in my case turns out to be PSU. tldr is when gpu is working under full load, PSU fails to deliver stable voltage which causes some gAPI calls to be "delayed" due to error. GPU has built in hardware contingencies for such events but they cause delay with the data coming back from GPU to gAPI in renderer. Some renderers can deal with it (hence "other" games work just fine argument) but it seems PoE renderers have a hard time since 3.18. There is a setting in dx and vulcan that you can change to extend the time it will wait for delayed data before throwing an error but I didnt get into that as changing it could cause some issues in other places.

So here's what I did and how you can check if thats the case for you:

Dowloand MSI Afterburner, install.
Set the core clock to -10% of what your GPU is (or what it shows in Afterburner)
Set the memory clock to -5% of what your GPU has (or what it shows in Afterburner)
Press Apply current setting to master GPU.

Run Path of Exile and just play, see if the crashes and errors continue.
If they do then you can try lowering the clocks further but if it still happens then good luck looking for other solutions :D

If underclocking your GPU did work and crashes went away there are 3 possibilities.
1. Your PC is older, this was the case for me. PSU efficiency deteriorates over time, especially with extensive usage (my PC was on 24//7 for almost 5 years now).
2. You have missmatched PSU and it doesnt operate at full efficiency while other parts are under max load, which can cause voltage to be spiky during the time it needs to be stable the most.
3. Your PSU is dogshit quality, straight up, get a new one.

I hope this helps someone and also for the ppl who are gonna ask, no underclocking GPU cannot damage it so its perfectly safe, GPU actually does it on its own while idling.
Last edited by Nyarleth on Aug 30, 2022, 1:04:49 PM
Solved my problem
Day 2. So far only had 1 crash, which i dont think is related to "vk::Device::waitForFences: ErrorDeviceLost"

after 3.19f patch game become unplayeble (multiple crashes every map), the worst thing is my pc started BSODing a lot, so this made me think there is something wrong with my pc parts. I stress tested my GPU, CPU, DRAM - no result.Anyways i decided to change my XMP profile, i've set it to default and it didnt help, restarted my pc once again and manually matched memory frequency, latency and voltage to xmp profile and finally after that, i didnt encounter this error again.
Weirdest thing is - in 3.18 everything was ok and this is my first BSOD in years
sorry for my bad englandsky >.<

Day1 (~15 hours played): only 1 crash (without a error)
Day2: 0 crashes

Last edited by BlackpawYB on Aug 31, 2022, 5:09:31 AM
I'm having the same problem and this when it doesn't close without any warning. Using any API of the problem.
This is some king of joke:
- dx11: freeze all the time on multithread, without low fps
- dx12: graphic glitzes, super low texture, everything blurry
- vulkan: crash after 10-30sec in game

3x options, none works, WTF is that?
Same issues here! 6700XT. DDU driver wiped. Reinstalled/Updated everything. All on a fresh windows install before I started the league....

Sup with it GGG?
Same problem:

Windows 7 64-bit
nVidia GTX 960M

Can't start the game with Vulkan, otherwise it switches to integrated graphics. Can play with Vulkan (after switching after start) (better performance than DX11) but crashes every few hours.
IGN: Free_hugging
I am usually online at GMT+1 evening times.

Generate filters using poe.ninja data using my item filter tool: https://github.com/Xeverous/filter_spirit
I was playing just fine & then all of a sudden I went to start the game this morning & it won't even start. I just get this weird error

vk::Queue::submit: ErrorDeviceLost

how do I fix this?!

Never had a problem starting before, until now anyways lol

*edit: I emptied my cache folders for POE & installed fresh graphics display drivers, restarted & the game loaded just fine again.

not sure wtf the problem was, but seems ok atm.

before I updated my VC drivers, I tried starting loads of other games, & everything & I mean.... E V E R Y T H I N G, worked just fine except POE, so it was definitely a poe issue

Can y'all stop trying to break our PCs please? thanks so much =)
Last edited by Razordoll on Sep 7, 2022, 11:00:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info