Righteous Fire

"
Invalesco wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
why would spell damage be separate from elemental and cold... for a spell cast while under rf. only thing that is separate are damage modifier and "more" based boosts. rf is a more based spell damage boost as a reminder...

elemental and cold damage mods will boost elemental attacks as well as spells. spell damage only boosts spells. Considering RF says "more spell damage", from my understanding it means exactly that. The game does not group elemental damage and spell damage together under one category when calculating your DPS. it takes into account these bonuses separately. If RF boosted ALL damage, now that would be a different story.

no offence but i'm struggling to understand why a mod doesn't understand the most frequently said fact of: increased and reduced are additive modifiers while more and less are multiplicative modifiers. all additive boosts work at same time then each multiplier happens separately.

when calculating damage of an ability, game checks all relevant damage types of a given skill. for most spells but ether knieves, that would mean both elemental and spell damage as ether knieves is only spell without elemental damage. added chaos support would only be boosted by spell damage as it isn't an element. you might have already known this, i'm sorry.

so lets take fireball of normally 300 damage average with a 60% more spell damage righteous fire, 40% fire damage, 70% elemental, and 50% spell damage, also pain attunement which is 30% more spell damage while low life (because why not for purpose of explaining). all values are different number to follow through on next step, although pain attunement doesn't change.

fireball is spell, fire, and AoE then fire is elemental so that counts.
300 *(1+ 0.4+ 0.7 +0.5) *(1+ 0.6) *(1+ 0.3) =1622.4 fire AoE spell damage total while low life.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 2, 2013, 2:30:17 PM
^That right there.

Righteous Fire grants 'Damage', and specifies with 'Spell'. Ergo, it applies to all Damage dealt with Spells, regardless of Damage Type. It is a 'More' type multiplier, so it's a separate, multiplicative modifier.

(Base + Flat) * (Increased + Reduced) * More * Less = Final damage.
(order of More and Less is not important)

RF falls in the 'More' category, and as such will mutliplicatively increase the benefit of all applicable Increased-type modifiers, be it Spell Damage, Elemental Damage or even Projectile Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 2, 2013, 3:19:04 PM
has anyone tested RF with concentrated effect for the extra 50% damage?

if so, could you then also used a increased aoe support to bring it back to near its normal radius and still get the extra 50% damage?
does not work, it shrinks the AoE for no DoT damage.
Righteous Fire doesnt deal damage to Totem, why is that?
The damage effect functions like an Aura, which never effect Totems.
the last time I checked, knowing all the game mechanics inside out weren't part of the pre-requisites for being a mod :p I'm still learning new stuff all the time, which is proof of how wonderfully complex this game is.

i ran some tests in game on my RF char and it appears that you gents were right. i'm now 12 regrets poorer but richer in knowledge. thanks!
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
thats fine sorry. although being a mod means looking around and helping or cleaning situations on forums =p. my logic was that it would've been hard not to have seen the mechanics as constantly and many new people ask.
we know that RF don't deal direct damage but a AOE burning around you.
So, anyone really tested if low life increase damage uniques ( sword, pain attunement... ) works.

i don't think so but near everyone plan a build with that unique sword. and attunement is 30% more spell damage and RF isn't a spell damage type.
some people would pain attunement for the even more "more" spell damage boost. righteous fire's x1.7 (or 1.91) and pain's x1.3 later sure sounds nice if casting spells. of course.. its low life we're talking about, risky ontop of righteous fire's specific risk.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info