Righteous Fire

Only Increased AoE is worthwhile.

Penetration, +X Damage, Ignite etc. work on Hits. Damage over Time does not Hit.
It does not trigger Ignite; EP does not apply.
Damage over Time != damage. Iron Will and Fire Spell damage does not apply.
Burning Damage does apply, and also kills you faster.
I've browsed through most of this thread now and learned much about the righteous fire skill.

So it seems that righteous fires damage to yourself can only be increased damage by increased burning damage nodes and increased buff effect nodes. With that in mind, perhaps I missed it, but has anyone tried to use the righteous fire skill in conjunction with Zealot's Oath and ES + Life Regen builds? My understanding is that %Life Regen works off the % of total ES when used, while Righteous Fire will still damage based on % of total Life, surely this discrepancy could be used to actually make use of the %more spell damage portion of righteous fire. It would be similar to most Low Life builds, in that chaos damage would be your greatest bane. But it gives some viability to using Righteous Fire as a Spell damage catalyst.
Last edited by NothingWithoutSin on Feb 11, 2013, 7:36:22 AM
I've recently recently tried to play with Righteous Fire a bit and noticed something strange when I linked it to an increased quantity support (haven't tried with increased quality yet but i think it'll be the same).

In the skillbar, the little icon for "increased quantity" doesn't appear, and the tooltip says nothing about increased quantity (while it does if linked to other skills). My incredible deduction skills makes me believe that one of the following is correct

1) Tooltip is wrong. Skillbar doesn't display the stat/icon, but it's active. It display nothing so that players don't believe that increased quantity would work with any spell while RF is active due to the spelldamage bonus (not very likely in my opinion)

2) Tooltip is right. The gem grants no bonuses but should. If that's the case, should the buff apply to minions that are killed by burning effect of RF only (since the skill kills them) or to any minions killed by a spell while RF is active (the latter being unlikely).

3) Tooltip is right, and there should be no bonuses in quantity since monster death isn't caused by RF but is instead due to burning effect, that gains no benefits from the support gem (if that's what happen, I believe I still get my other buffs from quantity/quality that come from items, since I've noticed that my flasks gain charges)

My opinion is that the quantity buff should apply to monsters killed by the burning effect of RF (since flasks gain charges, it's the same mechanic), and only to that burning effect (not to spells) but it's just a guess... so I wanted to know which hypothesis is the right one.
item find supports (and leeching and life gain on hit) only apply if an attack or spell "hits". righteous fire does not hit, it causes burning damage over time. your gear based item and magic find will work, but not the support gems linked to RF.

@nothingwithoutsin: that is my plan but it still needs to be proven, i just hope i can finish before anyone else attempts.
30 pages to read is a lot... so I don't know if this has been brought up... But having Ancestral Bond... says you can't deal damage with skills yourself... Therefore casting Righteous Fire should not be allowed to deal Damage to yourself or any enemies yet it still does...? It just kind of seemed like a loophole which really doesn't make sense. So someone can have two totems one regenerating their life and one devouring corpses and they sit there with righteous fire? I haven't fully looked into it... but it seems out of place in that aspect.
"
TgTalcon wrote:
30 pages to read is a lot... so I don't know if this has been brought up... But having Ancestral Bond... says you can't deal damage with skills yourself... Therefore casting Righteous Fire should not be allowed to deal Damage to yourself or any enemies yet it still does...? It just kind of seemed like a loophole which really doesn't make sense. So someone can have two totems one regenerating their life and one devouring corpses and they sit there with righteous fire? I haven't fully looked into it... but it seems out of place in that aspect.
it'll be fixed eventually, already known on threads talking about ancestral bond. thanks for putting it in this thread for others to see.
"
HuffDatJenk wrote:
Ok i think i've found a way to have 100% life with RF activated. You need all % of life reg from passives, which is 7,4. You use Vitality and Purity Aura with Inner Force passive which boosts Vitality's reg to 1,95 (adds up to 9,35% of life reg) and Purity's max resistance from 4 to 5,2. Also spec the + max resistance and use Saffel's Frame which gives you fire res of 90,2. The last bit of reg you use the passive skill % of life reg from Endurance charges, you will need 3 charges up to surpass 9,8 % of life reg.
Wait a second, if you combine that with a Ruby Flask you'll have 103% fire resistance! Does that mean fire damage heals you?

"
I've browsed through most of this thread now and learned much about the righteous fire skill.

So it seems that righteous fires damage to yourself can only be increased damage by increased burning damage nodes and increased buff effect nodes. With that in mind, perhaps I missed it, but has anyone tried to use the righteous fire skill in conjunction with Zealot's Oath and ES + Life Regen builds? My understanding is that %Life Regen works off the % of total ES when used, while Righteous Fire will still damage based on % of total Life, surely this discrepancy could be used to actually make use of the %more spell damage portion of righteous fire. It would be similar to most Low Life builds, in that chaos damage would be your greatest bane. But it gives some viability to using Righteous Fire as a Spell damage catalyst.

Aaand... if you combine that with Ghost Reaver and a Life Leech support gem, you can even facetank elemental mobs while regenerating 1,000 ES per second.

See the thing though is that Chaos Damage isn't a problem either. You get 65% ele resists from all the hybrid ES nodes + Diamond Skin, then you get another +30% from Purity. So you barely need any ele resists on your gear at all. You can just focus on straight energy shield, mana, and chaos resist, and you can go for Dream Fragments and Eye of Chayula without any regrets.
Last edited by Strill on Feb 11, 2013, 8:36:00 PM
leeching doesn't work with righteous fire, it isn't hitting. although spells cast do if you reach that point in game.
so, i read alot of guys talking that saffels frame is best for rf build. may be true

atm im cranking sone numbers, coming to a total of 17,9ish% regen per second when on low life with another, even greater shield imo. the dmg you recieve by RF would be 16% with 84% resists.

on the other hand with saffels i get a total of 11,6ish % life regen when on low life, while with 89%max fire resist it would be 11% dmg by RF/s.

have yet to see if it works out, as i may later opt 2% low life regen from ambu for the kaoms chest. so no field testing just yet

Last edited by Gattsu89 on Feb 12, 2013, 10:04:31 AM
"
Gattsu89 wrote:
so, i read alot of guys talking that saffels frame is best for rf build. may be true

atm im cranking sone numbers, coming to a total of 17,9ish% regen per second when on low life with another, even greater shield imo. the dmg you recieve by RF would be 16% with 84% resists.

on the other hand with saffels i get a total of 11,6ish % life regen when on low life, while with 89%max fire resist it would be 11% dmg by RF/s.

have yet to see if it works out, as i may later opt 2% low life regen from ambu for the kaoms chest. so no field testing just yet

i just did that math last page =( but with the added complication of inner force. although i forgot to show the opposite situations (that turn out unfavorable).
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Feb 12, 2013, 12:34:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info