Righteous Fire

"
raic000 wrote:
I did some more testing and it seems to be confirmed, it turns out that burn damage passives and item mods actually REDUCE total damage of Righteous Fire but make it burn down faster. Tested when used with totem support.
well totems have no res last i checked and people already confirmed what you are saying. burn damage passives make user take more self damage, also foes but not nearly as important.
Well, this is actually pretty hilarious... and logical, even if it's not that obvious. If you wrap your mind about it, it turns out burn damage bonus does squat as it should, it goes like this:

Let's say you got 100 health and no resists to simplify the calculation

100 dmg/s burn damage to you
50 dmg/s burn damage to enemies

your health lasts 1s = 50 total damage to enemies over 1s

+100% burn damage
200 dmg/s burn damage to you
100 dmg/s burn damage to enemies

your health lasts 0,5s = 50 total damage to enemies over 0,5s

Bottom line, if enemies have no resists, righteous fire transfers exactly half of you health as damage to them, burn damage bonus just affects how fast. Fire resist on yourself just extends duration of the spell by a factor of 100/(1-%res).

Bottom line 2: If you are planning to use RF on yourself you should not take burn damage bonuses since it just makes fighting the hit point drain harder. True, enemies die faster too but staying alive is usually more of a problem.

There's still that little snag of enemies taking slightly less damage if you have burn damage bonus than without but it's probably a sync issue or something as someone mentioned.
Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
Last edited by raic000 on Sep 11, 2012, 5:52:34 PM
i'm testing a righteous fire build right now with my mard and i did the math and it seems like this is going to be really powerful

using these and only going to change rings, belt, maybe boots, and armor once I level
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

going to use this once i level
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

going to use this build

any suggestions?
So many build ideas... no time....
Last edited by Simony on Sep 17, 2012, 12:58:31 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
well "while low life" from pain attunement and redbeak will either only work half the time (at the end when everything is balanced out) or only apply if you used rf when already at low life (then all the time after that).
i say the first part due to how the regen while low life works, then i say the second part due to how casting rf on one weapon set then swaping to that fire unique staff does NOT give the boost to burning (and fire damage?) because was cast before the staff was used.
ontop of that, not sure if fire damage boosts work but burning boosts do. also, read the post right above yours for some math.

lastly, replacing regen during endurance charges for vitality? can't belief i forgot about vitality this time when i didn't before XD. what about purity? increases res max every 5th level.
yeah did some research and math and found that fire doesn't only burn damage stuff but also increases damage on self so going to use this build now
basically dps tank with tons of endurance charges and sharing
also using vitality and purity. and optimized my build to run always at low life for the benefits from my equipments
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

if my math is correct i should be burning enemies for ~ 150% on my max life/s (30% from pain attunement + 44% from doedre's tender velvet gloves + 36% from current RF and 100% from redbeak rusted sword = 210%)
Last edited by Simony on Sep 17, 2012, 1:33:22 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I am pretty sure that nothing affects Righteous Fire damage other than your HP. (And Increased Burn Damage, of course, which we've determined to be pointless)
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/
Last edited by Danny on Sep 17, 2012, 7:31:58 PM
Yeah increased burn is pointless... But are you sure? It is considered a spell so I thought increased spell damage would affect it... Also if not that then would the sword still? If nothing does then my build is sad... :(
Last edited by Simony on Sep 17, 2012, 10:46:06 PM
well i remember it affects itself but thats about it, any other tests is honestly hard due to how fast it already is skilling even with a "normal" hp character (somewhere between 1k and 2k around lv 45-60).
yeah it does burn fast and those passive makes it even more uncontrolable. also yeah i'm getting told nothing really affects it's damage besides max health so building for that (got over 1k in hp at lvl 28)
Doesn't concentrated area of effect -support work with this? The RF gem says "fire, spell, AoE" which makes me believe it should work.

Or is it the DoT aspect of the damage that somehow prevents it from working?
IGN: N_Bohr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info