Development Manifesto: Harvest Crafting

Around 1 year ago GGG started to show some blizzard like behavior, but I was in denial, because this could not happen to the the company behind the greatest diablo like game since, well since diablo 2. But seeing almost 450 pages on this thread with 0 reactions from GGG is hard to ignore, an remain in denial. Started to get some flashbacks since the release of D3 and the way blizz "interacted" with the community, and how connected blizz was with the community. Hope I'm wrong but I'm getting this strong feeling of deja vu.

Edit: By this point the reaction doesn't even matter for me anymore as long as there will be one. Just pick a side and communicate it to the community. At this point I'm sure the aftermath can't be worse than having no reaction at all.
Last edited by smokedust on Mar 18, 2021, 5:41:06 PM
I don't see the need for harvest WHATSOEVER.

There is NO POINT to give the player everything in the beginning. We need to stop pandering to this new type of player mentality; "I want everything NOW, NOW, NOW."

NO! It needs to stop. The Devs have a great thing going with this game by MAKING PEOPLE WORK FOR IT. The gaming laziness is a new mentality that I personally find disgusting and repulsive. Why should you get Mirror Items??? Why shouldn't you go and work for the like everyone else. Enough already with the "Special Snowflake Syndrome..."

FINALLY a really good game comes out and all of these leaches creap out from under their rocks and holes wanting the devs to make the game into another D3 - Enough is enough already and we need to take a stand against this nonsense.
So all you really end up having is playing the economy, and plowing maps. And if you want to get anywhere on your character, you are better off mowing monsters down like weeds and just collecting pennies of the ground as fast as possible than any meaningful item hunting.
"

There is NO POINT to give the player everything in the beginning. We need to stop pandering to this new type of player mentality; "I want everything NOW, NOW, NOW."

NO! It needs to stop. The Devs have a great thing going with this game by MAKING PEOPLE WORK FOR IT. The gaming laziness is a new mentality that I personally find disgusting and repulsive. Why should you get Mirror Items??? Why shouldn't you go and work for the like everyone else. Enough already with the "Special Snowflake Syndrome..."

FINALLY a really good game comes out and all of these leaches creap out from under their rocks and holes wanting the devs to make the game into another D3 - Enough is enough already and we need to take a stand against this nonsense.

Start by buying alot of points and supporter pack next league then so GGG won't feel the loss of the outraged community.
"
OdinNguyen wrote:
"
LordLan wrote:
Thx for nerfing the Harvest!

This league was way to easy like Harvest league was.
Before Harvest I could barely defeat uber elder on HC trade league. This league I played SSF HC and killed Maven within my first 6 chars. As Maven is new content on par with uber elder I did not expect to beat her at all and therefore have some good challenge awaiting the next couple of leagues . I'm not gonna lie that it felt good to kill her and all the other bosses - but if I think I have become a much better player compared to one year ago I'm only kidding myself.
For such a big expansion, which will not come in the nearby future, the end game should have lasted longer for a player on my level.
I followed Gauntlet league - and omg what a joke :D - they did not talk to Oshabi and could run map after map to hunt the garden to get free end game items within a day. This bug was also seen in delve where you could see if a mape had sulphite veins as soon as you entered - I was speechless. I did not know about this bug when I played but here we had the most OP mechanic practically given for free through this bug.

I've been playing for many years and I'm an old d2 player as many others and I totally agree with your philosophy on every god damn decision you have ever made. One thing is to have a philosophy and another is to get it executed the way you thought. But as long the intention is there and you do your best, which we have seen over the years you do, how can one complain?

As a last point I would like to introduce a way that Harvest could continue in the game so it would not undermine all other leagues before it. Maybe I'm completely of programming wise since you already said that every league is like a small extension on the core game so it can easily get turned on/off. How about every craft annul/aug/-+ craft from Harvest was intertwined with other leagues ->

e.g.
Aug chaos -> kill chayula to unlock
Aug fire -> kill the phoenix to unlock
Aug cold -> kill hydra to unlock
-+ phys -> remove Tora from the syndicate kill Aisling (phys related members)
change a stack of fossils -> complete an azurite III in delve
change a stack of emblems -> kill a Legion General

Just an example but something similar so players are forced to interact more with the rest of the game and to not make it so easy to get those crafts.

If you read it all thx for you patience and remember HARVEST IS NOT REMOVED!

Hmm, your highest lvl characters this ritual league is 28.

Yeah, it is so strange. People who say harvest makes the game too easy have very low character levels, but 28 is extremely low. Even if it was a GAUNLET character it would be too low...
It says something about people saying that harvest makes the game too easy. I suppose they are from RMT companies. I don't see any other explanation.
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
― Albert Einstein
Last edited by jacarishe on Mar 18, 2021, 6:43:17 PM
"

Jun-20
Harvest League launched

Jul-20
“We’re getting so much interesting information that will help us both pitch the power of rewards systems in the future and also understand where we should be with crafting in PoE2”

Aug-20
Harvest will not be integrated with the core game

Nov-20
"Harvest will become core as part of 3.13 but in a slightly different form."

Jan-21
“Harvest has been added to the core game and has been vastly reworked”

Mar-21
“We feel that the current state of Harvest Crafting runs against both of these important philosophies.”

Regardless of where one sits on the debate on Harvest crafting, the timing & sequence of events leading to this massive U-turn (from Jan-21 to Mar-21) really does beggar belief.

If Harvest crafting is so absolutely antithetical to GGG's philosophies, why was it launched in its current form just 2 months ago?

On the premise that GGG makes rational, deliberate, fact-based decisions, perhaps it was always GGG’s intention to nerf Harvest as announced in this manifesto. Perhaps 3.13 Harvest was launched as-is because it “helps the league be compelling”, particularly after last year's delay.

Whatever the reason, and again leaving aside any view on the Harvest crafting mechanic per se, the way GGG has gone about this is an extraordinarily poor way to handle the PoE community. To say nothing of how it has been communicated to-date.

Really disappointing. Not the GGG I once admired.

Last edited by Sinaranu on Mar 18, 2021, 8:05:56 PM
bye poe :)
How many negative comments are needed in order to pay attention to this problem ...
✨ Beta tester Path of Nerf 👀
"

I don't think Duke Amiel du H'ardcore could find a better comment.
"
Sinaranu wrote:
"

Jun-20
Harvest League launched

Jul-20
“We’re getting so much interesting information that will help us both pitch the power of rewards systems in the future and also understand where we should be with crafting in PoE2”

Aug-20
Harvest will not be integrated with the core game

Nov-20
"Harvest will become core as part of 3.13 but in a slightly different form."

Jan-21
“Harvest has been added to the core game and has been vastly reworked”

Mar-21
“We feel that the current state of Harvest Crafting runs against both of these important philosophies.”

Regardless of where one sits on the debate on Harvest crafting, the timing & sequence of events leading to this massive U-turn (from Jan-21 to Mar-21) really does beggar belief.

If Harvest crafting is so absolutely antithetical to GGG's philosophies, why was it launched in its current form just 2 months ago?

On the premise that GGG makes rational, deliberate, fact-based decisions, perhaps it was always GGG’s intention to nerf Harvest as announced in this manifesto. Perhaps 3.13 Harvest was launched as-is because it “helps the league be compelling”, particularly after last year's delay.

Whatever the reason, and again leaving aside any view on the Harvest crafting mechanic per se, the way GGG has gone about this is an extraordinarily poor way to handle the PoE community. To say nothing of how it has been communicated to-date.

Really disappointing. Not the GGG I once admired.

This makes more and more sense now.
"

You're using Maurader with nodes that makes your class extremely item independent. You have a chest with bench multicraft and use HH. I mean you might have an entirely different perspective on the matter because your build is exceptional with fewer mods. Its not that any which way is better, but that Harvest frees up player choice to diversify builds.

Furthermore, as many other have coherently pointed out throughout the thread. Having harvest in the game doesn't just automatically give you mirror tier items. You have to typically spend at least a mirror or more to craft a mirror tier item. Harvest crafting really is a late game activity where you can spend the remainder of your hundreds of exalts late game without Slamming them.

If there's a mechanic in the game that you don't care for, why don't you just ignore it? I don't see how my gameplay, or anyone else's effects your journey. This game is largely solo player and you're mainly clearing content on your own.
Last edited by BivalentX on Mar 18, 2021, 10:52:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info