I Think I Figured Out Why Cyberpunk Sux

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
1. It was never gonna live up to the hype.

2. They should have never developed it for Ps4, Xbone, and Stadia, but likely the board members wanted that cheddar.

3. 8 million preorders and nearly 14 million copies sold...it doesnt even matter what the reviews are, or edgy takes from game "reviewers".

4. The original Witcher wasnt that great, and subsequently got much better. I think Cyberpunk will get better in general.

Spoiler
Note I dont have or have played Cyberpunk on any platform as of yet.

Is the number of all sales, without mentioning how much of them are refunds.

its it likely very high on the consoles (worse reviews) and a big chunk on PC version (if you read steam reviews).

This would explain why the investors are pissed despite high sales numbers at a first glance.

The bad reviews will make the real sales numbers (non refund games) a lot smaller.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Dec 27, 2020, 7:28:35 AM
"
gandhar0 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

2. They should have never developed it for Ps4, Xbone, and Stadia, but likely the board members wanted that cheddar.

3. 8 million preorders and nearly 14 million copies sold...it doesnt even matter what the reviews are, or edgy takes from game "reviewers".

4. The original Witcher wasnt that great, and subsequently got much better. I think Cyberpunk will get better in general.

Spoiler

its it likely very high on the consoles (worse reviews) and a big chunk on PC version (if you read steam reviews).

This would explain why the investors are pissed despite high sales numbers at a first glance.

The bad reviews will make the real sales numbers (non refund games) a lot smaller.

That figure is AFTER accounting for refunds, at least as of December 20th (unless he's using a more recent date). So the only refunds that'd count against it are the ones that come post the date for the figure (which, for all the people who bought it on release or soon after, is past the time they can apply for a refund by now). Basically, the game has sold well, reviews be damned (albeit not well enough for some investors expectations).
Last edited by Exile009 on Dec 27, 2020, 9:45:10 AM
Depends on the reviews. The Steam reviews are good, the metacritic ones (for PC) are even better. Even the user score there has climbed up to over 7.0. I've seen this plenty of times - very poor initial reviews because the bugs are the most pronounced on release but gradually afterwards the score improves.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Sorry but you are talking nonsense.

Really?

"
These things are called quests chains - you can choose which quest chain you embark on and when you do it. The same concept as in GTA where you have several main guys you do work for and you unlock their later quests after you complete their initial ones. It is literally the same system. So if you argue that Cyberpunk is not open world GTA is also not open world.

And, all you talked about were "quest chains"...

That is "open word" to you?

It's not that the appearance of a quest or even subquests and alternative choices aren't also in open-world games. "Open-world" implies a certain freedom from those questing mechanics. Main quest-lines are there to progress a narrative and to provide the player with a "win condition" should they choose to pursue it. They'll unlock quest-related areas, which is expected, but failing to pursue those shouldn't lock out players from developing their character and their own goals to achieve. RPG mechanics fit well in that genre because every point applied to a stat, every piece of upgraded gear, every level gained, every house bought... represents an achieved goal. It's virtual crack to click the button to get the reward of seeing ++Strength pop up...

I can't tell you, truly, whether or not Cyberpunk 2077 would qualify as an "open world" game - I haven't played it and have no plans on playing it.

But, the presentation of the game in its marketing suggested that it is an open-world experience as any other open-world game and that has been a main-draw for many buyers.

Yet, CDPR's statements, especially their CM statements in regards to that "8mb limit" for saved game files, absolutely and most assuredly paint Cyberpunk 2077 as not being intended to be played as an open-world game.

If you maintain it is, that's you're false impression of the game and the developer's intent behind its gameplay.

"You're not supposed to play it like an open world game. You're supposed to play it through with a character, then choose a different character to play it through once again." That's a paraphrased quote from the CM who was interacting with actual customers who were complaining about the 8mb limit on their saved games that resulted in a catastrophic corruption. (The original ref is pasted somewhere in this thread, I think. If not, it's easily available in a quick search as it was widely decried by the CP2077 community, especially on Reddit. If you don't believe me, I'll try to find it for you if you're not willing to look.)

In short - That CM says you are wrong and are playing the game wrong.

And, that's the whole point! We, the consumers, are led to believe that we can adventure as we wish, craft what we wish, interact with the game environment how we wish and build up our own concept of our character in this huge, interactive, open-world environment CDPR has constructed for us.

You bought into that concept just like I did when I saw the trailers and marketing hype. Right?

But, it's a lie.

That is not how the game is supposed to be played.

It's a lie.

You can continue to believe its an open-world game if you wish. I truly and honestly hope you enjoy it and every hour you spend playing it. There's no animosity here and no personal conflict whatsoever. But, if you think it's an open-world game then you, just like I did, drank the Kool-Aid... That impression was falsely presented to potential customers - They lied.
Last edited by Morkonan on Dec 27, 2020, 10:57:15 AM
Quest chains don't have anything to do with open world. They are the foundation of any game, how the game makes sense. Imagine being able to go anywhere and do anything without the need to complete quests beforehand. The story wouldn't make sense because you can finish it by going to the final mission immediately. Hence why quest chains exist even in an open world game, thats the point.

The 8 MB limit was already fixed.

Can't really bother with the rest of what you write since you, like most of the others who talk about the game, haven't even played it.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Dec 27, 2020, 11:17:35 AM
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
gandhar0 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Spoiler

That figure is AFTER accounting for refunds, at least as of December 20th (unless he's using a more recent date). So the only refunds that'd count against it are the ones that come post the date for the figure (which, for all the people who bought it on release or soon after, is past the time they can apply for a refund by now). Basically, the game has sold well, reviews be damned (albeit not well enough for some investors expectations).

Yeah sure. I forget to add net sales.

Numbers are ,while mildly impressive on its own, still way below expectations , due to more refunds on the consoles and also big chunck on PC.
Additionally the bad reviews are still coming in post launch and not only criticizing the bugs but the lifeless/shallow world if you spend more hours playing it. There is not even a post game. So much about open world experience.

Guess CDPR overpromised too much and will get longterm a bad reputation dent.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

How bad can a 78% steam review be? Or a 7.1 metacritic considering games like call of duty routinely get below 5.0.
Cyberpunk is great game. More I play it, more I like it.

Its like Witcher 3 - mechanics 5/10; story and presentation 10/10

"I Think I Figured Out Why Cyberpunk Sux" - clikbait title.

Lawsuit is a joke, they have no chance.

Conspiracy theory: they lower stock price more with lawsuit, than buy shares at lower price, stock rises and everybody is happy. :)
Last edited by Rexeos on Dec 27, 2020, 1:19:47 PM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
How bad can a 78% steam review be? Or a 7.1 metacritic considering games like call of duty routinely get below 5.0.

Idk man.

In reality games are even worse than the reviews would suggest because people either get a quick refund or dont and play and shut up and do a review later when they are beyond buyer's remorse.

This applies to more expensive steam titles like Wolcen or Cyberpunk.
They share a similarity in overpromising and underdelivering while prices are way higher than good indy games.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore

Last edited by gandhar0 on Dec 27, 2020, 1:34:33 PM
"
Rexeos wrote:
Cyberpunk is great game. More I play it, more I like it.

Its like Witcher 3 - mechanics 5/10; story and presentation 10/10

"I Think I Figured Out Why Cyberpunk Sux" - clikbait title.

Lawsuit is a joke, they have no chance.

Conspiracy theory: they lower stock price more with lawsuit, than buy shares at lower price, stock rises and everybody is happy. :)

I find it amazing that you can equate Witcher 3's gameplay to Cyberpunk's. The only problem Witcher 3 had mechanically was that rolling around was laughably god tier which simpliflied the battles too much. But all you had to do fix that was decide not to abuse it and play on the hardest difficulty.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info