Diablo 2: Remastered... 2020 Release Scheduled... What are Your Thoughts?

"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris.
Just... no.
Didn't even mention poker.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
gandhar0 wrote:
The biggest hurdle would be (besides the low resolution and low asset details) the fact that there is a stamina bar for running. And if its depleted you are slow-boating/walking.

That's why you rock a few stamina potions for the first few levels. After that you no longer need them.

But on that topic, one aspect of gameplay that I didn't like was that your defenses drop so much when you run (I forget if it's armor or block% that drops to zero while running), so the only way to fully take advantage of your defenses while moving is to walk. Which, as you pointed out, sucks.

Another is that there are like two builds that leave every other build in the dust where it comes to grouped Baal runs. (Though this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that other builds do better in other specialized game content.)

Finally, the imbalance between regular mob drops and boss mob drops is such that players are overincentivized to skip content and get to the boss as fast as possible. Thus the ridiculous popularity of Enigmas and of MF sorcs. This is one thing GGG very correctly did not copy.

So, yeah. Some things have not aged well.

And PoE vets are going to have an especially hard time adapting to the fact that "press kill button--watch the screen explode--press movement button--repeat" gameplay loop is not present.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
the imbalance between regular mob drops and boss mob drops is such that players are overincentivized to skip content and get to the boss as fast as possible. Thus the ridiculous popularity of Enigmas and of MF sorcs. This is one thing GGG very correctly did not copy.

So, yeah. Some things have not aged well.

And PoE vets are going to have an especially hard time adapting to the fact that "press kill button--watch the screen explode--press movement button--repeat" gameplay loop is not present.
As you almost admit yourself, GGG's response to Meph runners was not to balance but to swing the pendulum all the way in the other direction. I'm of the belief that abnormal and creative gameplay like "teleport past all normal mobs, kill boss, pickup loot, repeat" SHOULD be rewarded. Probably not rewarded as much as it was in D2, but still rewarded.

A great way to do this is to give each farming method exclusive drops, so that there's some demand for all the types of farming. That way if there's too many "Meph runners" the other farming styles become comparatively more rewarding.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
de99ial wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

BTW every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris. So unless you got new bells and whistles you will fail. ppl played out of d2.

Thats just not smart oversimplification.

Lets break it down then

Chess
100% strat

Tetris
50% reaction time and 50% tactics

Doom
3d

What else do video games have? besides strategy, tactics, reaction time and 3d?
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 16, 2020, 9:37:49 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris.
Just... no.
Didn't even mention poker.

No bluffing in video games. I guess you could theoretically with trade chat. We usually call that fraud or a scam here.

Poker is awesome but not applicable.

I really really really miss my Friday poker nights with the boys after I got married/chained. I'd usually come in 1st or second outta 16-20 dudes so probably for the best for them.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 16, 2020, 9:42:35 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

BTW every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris. So unless you got new bells and whistles you will fail. ppl played out of d2.

Lets break it down then

Chess
100% strat

Tetris

Doom
3d

Story.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Lets break it down then

Chess
100% strat

Tetris

Doom
3d

1. Some have narratives. Interactive ones, even, whose outcome you influence due to your interest in the narrative per se and not to "win" as such (thus your choices are neither tactical nor strategic). Many good adventure games and RPGs incorporate this.

2. Some have educational or simulation elements (and there is often a fine line between the two). Want to learn how to fly a Cessna?

3. Some are primarily aesthetic in nature, involving no skill. These have become hugely popular in the last 5-10 years, but you can see them all the way back to the 80s. Here is an exceptionally pure example, which I recommend by the way: https://gigoiastudios.itch.io/fauvista

4. Some are designed to test a player's observational skills. HOGs and some adventure games are good examples.

5. Some are designed to improve your health, either physical (via motion controls and exercise regimens) or mental.

Some are primarily vehicles for propaganda, usually either commercial or military in nature. These often fit into another genre, so perhaps they don't count.

For the sake of argument, I've limited all my examples to video game genres, but I'm almost certainly forgetting some.

The idea of trying to distill categories is one I'm always interested in (especially where it is difficult or impossible to do so), but I think you can do a little better. ;)

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of genre-defying games, I recently discovered this website: https://obscuritory.com/tag/recommended/ The author is unusually well written for a gaming journalist.
Wash your hands, Exile!
I guarantee this will flop. You can't create the past. D2 was probably ahead of it's time, at the time. But I bet PoE, Grim Dawn and many other games have way more bells and whistle.

Didnt they try something like this with baldur gate?

Dudes I know you loved it. I loved D3 (orginal only) but will never play it again.

I''ll prolly never play this PoE again either until 2.0

Games get old except core elements.
Git R Dun!
1. Strategy. Story telling is bells and whistle I mentioned.
2. Flying is tactics to get off the ground and get back down. Strategy would be a fight plan.
3. I forgot movies. Usually click past them to game.
4. Strategy games.
5. I have not heard of. Very interesting. I just use my heart rate monitor on the track which goes BEEP BEEP BEEP get moving you lazy fuck when HR drops below 155. Call me a Luddite by I'm not playing a video game to get healthy.

I am playing video game to break shit, kill shit, figure shit out efficiently and feel like a god when done. That's strategy , tactics, and APM. 3d if you're vein.

Chess
Tetris
Doom
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 17, 2020, 12:29:01 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
No bluffing in video games. I guess you could theoretically with trade chat. We usually call that fraud or a scam here.

Poker is awesome but not applicable.
You're wrong. There are bluffing opportunities in lots of PvP games, although usually not on the level of bluffing possible in poker. For instance, ZvT in StarCraft (1) usually came down to the Zerg's feinting ability vs the Terran's ability to position troops defensively and react correctly to pokes.

Also, this remix of a one-turn-kill combo deck.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 17, 2020, 1:13:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info