Diablo 2: Remastered... 2020 Release Scheduled... What are Your Thoughts?

"
Kavlor wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
Diablo 2 was great for its time. It's horribly outdated now. It's been kept relevant by mods. I don't see how getting a graphically improved version of the original would somehow make it good, unless said version also include the hundreds of additional features (not fixes, but new features) that mods have added to make it hold up in 2020. Which they'll never do, as that would outrage purists. So it'll be the original, with upscaled graphics, which will feel clunky as soon as the initial nostalgia wears off.

As Forever said above, I don't think Blizzard even expects this to be a massive success. It's more of a quick cash grab as well as a face-saving exercise so they can roll out Diablo 4 while pointing to the D2 remaster as the last Diablo they released.

Old games are old games. They're outdated. You want an example of what a remaster should be to be worth buying? Look at the Age of Empires 2 remaster (Definitive Edition) - it wasn't just a graphical upgrade, hell it didn't even just add a bunch of QoL features on top. It was also a full-on expansion. Has Blizzard ever done that? No. Not even the seemingly well-received Star Craft remaster was an expansion. Diablo 2 remaster would only be worth it if Blizzard both upgrades the graphics AND implements tons of community supported QoL improvements AND adds more content (a lot more content, equivalent to an expansion pack) as well. Anything less is a waste of money.

People play old games which is why things like emulators exist. Also games don't age ,people age. Younger people haven't even experienced this game so it would actually be fresh to them. If we enjoyed it why shouldn't younger people. Besides there are not that many ARPGs out there.

I didn't say people shouldn't play old games. I said there was likely little reason to buy into this version of said old game. Just play D2 as it is now, complete with community-made fixes and mods of your choice. It'll almost definitely offer you a better experience than a simple graphical upgrade from Blizzard (which in all likelihood won't be compatible with half the community stuff already out for the game). By all means play Diablo, but what's the draw of a remaster? You don't play that game for awe-inspiring 2020 visuals anyway.
Maybe my previous reply was too terse. Or too optimistic.

Whether or not a D2 remaster is good or not will depend upon whether ActiBlizzard can learn from successful nostalgia plays like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, or whether it doubles down on its recent failure in Warcraft 3 Reforged. I think a D2 remake is potentially a fantastic game, and also potentially a way to further alienate Blizzard's nostalgia audience.

There's not going to be any way to tell early — kind of like there was no reliable indicator FF7R would be good until the demo came out — but it's worth keeping an eye out for details in the future.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 14, 2020, 2:44:11 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Whether or not a D2 remaster is good or not will depend upon whether ActiBlizzard can learn from successful nostalgia plays like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, or whether it doubles down on its recent failure in Warcraft 3 Reforged. I think a D2 remake is potentially a fantastic game, and also potentially a way to further alienate Blizzard's nostalgia audience.

It's being made by a 3rd party, apparently... & if that's true, it doesn't really matter what Blizzard can or cannot do....
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
That 3rd party did the Crash remakes btw, which were near perfect and sold gangbusters. I'm fairly optimistic.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
If it will have offline single player then i will probably check it. If not, probably will skip it.
I never played diablo 2 ...i was like 4 or 5 when it came out...I played 3 then this one. Seems hard to capture the past IMO or you'd still be there - graphics or not. Like chess I still play online and it has no grahpics to speak of (2D black and white) but its really fuckin good for you and cognitive motion..

I think it will fail. Would you still play space invaders 3d? Times have changed.

The only real video games that ppl will play forever are chess and tetris and you dont have to "update" them. Classics.

BTW every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris. So unless you got new bells and whistles you will fail. ppl played out of d2.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 15, 2020, 3:46:24 AM
I'll definitely be checking it out, if not for the game on its own merits it'll be entertaining to play through a ladder with some friends like the old days.

Plus... I'd never miss up the opportunity to go see ol' Deckard for a weekend.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I never played diablo 2 ...i was like 4 or 5 when it came out...I played 3 then this one. Seems hard to capture the past IMO or you'd still be there - graphics or not. Like chess I still play online and it has no grahpics to speak of (2D black and white) but its really fuckin good for you and cognitive motion..

I think it will fail. Would you still play space invaders 3d? Times have changed.

The only real video games that ppl will play forever are chess and tetris and you dont have to "update" them. Classics.

BTW every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris. So unless you got new bells and whistles you will fail. ppl played out of d2.

The biggest hurdle would be (besides the low resolution and low asset details) the fact that there is a stamina bar for running. And if its depleted you are slow-boating/walking.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on May 15, 2020, 7:38:44 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

every video game is just a derivative of either/and/or chess, doom and tetris.

Just... no.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Thats just not smart oversimplification.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info