Diablo 2: Remastered... 2020 Release Scheduled... What are Your Thoughts?

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
3. Gamers play games for specific reasons, and fall into specific categories (normally on average). The "age" of the game in 99% of cases means NOTHING if it hits on what those gamers want.

The features of the game do matter though. What does a remaster, assuming it doesn't include new content, offer that current D2 (with its huge library of fixes and mods, including loads of new content) doesn't? Besides just updated graphics? Why play a 20 year old game for modern graphics? And if so, who are these people who stuck with the game for all these years without said graphics but now suddenly discover a driving need for it?

So there is no appetite for a remaster of one of the greatest games of all-time?

Sure maybe. I don't know.

But not mind-blowing diversions or an expansion pack. Cmon bro.

I have no idea what you consider content anyways? Perhaps you could detail what you think the game needs in order to do well?

As far as who will play / buy this game? Nearly everyone that enjoys arpg's, is 30+ years old, and loves Diablo. Oh by the way, that means millions of people.

Related note on gamer demographics:

https://techjury.net/stats-about/video-game-demographics/#gref

You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding what I said. Did I suggest there was no appeal left in Diablo 2 itself? No, in fact I've specifically said otherwise in this thread. So what's the point pointing out demographics or that it's one of the greatest games of all time? None of that is relevant.

As for your question about 'content', it's curious that you've dismissed this thread ("Lol this thread") yet apparently hadn't even bothered to read through it. Cos I've specifically mentioned an example of what a remaster could include to be worth it. Here it is again for your convenience - https://store.steampowered.com/app/813780/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition/

Now don't try deliberately avoiding the point again by claiming that's a different genre. And do please actually read what Microsoft offered there. Or, never mind, I'll do the work for you - "4K Ultra HD graphics, a new and fully remastered soundtrack, and brand-new content, “The Last Khans” with 3 new campaigns and 4 new civilizations."

Yes, "Cmon bro". Being satisfied with less is exactly what's allowed Blizzard fall as far as it has. Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgment. Gamers can and do deserve better.
Last edited by Exile009 on May 19, 2020, 4:07:34 AM
^

Meh again I don't really know what you are trying to say in the end.

You asked who are these people that will be playing. I answered. Median age gamers, people who like Diablo, and general arpg fans. How is the target market irrelevant? That's ridiculous. Of course it is.

Your content expectations...can be whatever you want. If it doesn't line up for what you want, then it's an easy purchase decision for you.

Finally touching on what people "deserve" is gaslighting and anti-capitalism imo. The market decides, not pontificating about specific products or company strategies that don't meet your standards.

Spoiler
The "lol this thread" is more due to actually expecting a rational discussion about Diablo/Blizz in the PoE forums. OT or not. People have feelings about Blizzard and Diablo, and I'm not sure the forum goers here give it the most clear-minded chance. But whatever I suppose.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Finally touching on what people "deserve" is gaslighting and anti-capitalism imo. The market decides, not pontificating about specific products or company strategies that don't meet your standards

Lol, saying consumers ought to have higher standards is "anti-capitalism" now. :P I guess in your world if a big company markets shit that's capitalism, but if someone points out that it's shit they're 'anti-capitalist' (since I'm guessing capitalism for some people these days is all about worshiping said big companies). And don't bother calling anything 'gaslighting'. Not only is it wrong, but that word has been abused enough already. Turning actual psychological abuse into a mere tool of argumentative rhetoric is just pathetic.

And it is an easy decision for me. The point is, you seem to be confident of it being an easy decision for everyone else (the other way), based on little more than irrationality and a (much-battered) brand value. You can't come up with an argument for why a D2 remaster would be a rational purchase proposition, so you just fall back on hyping old D2 and continuing to believe in the power of the Blizzard brand despite their recent history.

Still, maybe you're right. The very fact that some people are pointing to the Starcraft remaster as a great example shows just how low their standards have already fallen. The difference is, if you are proved right, that would not be a cause for celebration (although I'm sure you would celebrate it at least, since it means your beloved Blizzard is "back").
Last edited by Exile009 on May 20, 2020, 5:16:40 AM
Instead of arguing before release even happened, i will wait one or 2 months after this rework releases and see how it looks like from streams and some reviews and then decide if i am going to invest into it.

I'd rather not have thoughts in advance as blizzard/activision has disappointed me many times in last 10 years.
Spreading salt since 2006
"
Necromael wrote:
Instead of arguing before release even happened, i will wait one or 2 months after this rework releases and see how it looks like from streams and some reviews and then decide if i am going to invest into it.

I'd rather not have thoughts in advance as blizzard/activision has disappointed me many times in last 10 years.

Luckily, Blizzard is not involved, so they can't fuck this up. The studio involved has a great track record with remasters.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Exile009 wrote:
Lol, saying consumers ought to have higher standards is "anti-capitalism" now. :P I guess in your world if a big company markets shit that's capitalism, but if someone points out that it's shit they're 'anti-capitalist'

What's really funny is "Cancel Culture", where is becomes superfun to bandwagon and loose all individual thought! Review bombing, YouTube troll reviews, etc are fucking awful, and overall hurts the industry.

Point is do whatever you want with your money, and stop demonizing companies, products, or individuals you don't like or don't agree with. It's exhausting. People high-horsing their individual "standards" is nothing to be proud about.

I have no idea what you are trying to win in this argument. Maybe the remaster will suck. Maybe it will be great. Let the game, and the market, speak for itself.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
this looks interesting. i haven't played diablo 2 either. i was too caught up in playing counter strike back in those days. i always wanted to try it, i just never happened.

i never knew it would be my favourite video game genre. poe was my first real arpg that i played, probably. then torchlight2 etc.

also David Brevik is a mastermind and even his latest game It Lurks Below is phenomenal.
and while i don't think he has anything to do with the remake, its still his brain child and i'd absolutely be willing to visit it.

thing is, i'd never buy anything on release anymore. i'll wait for reviews and stuff. probably months after its out before investing anything into it.
if it holds up then i'll check it out
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
What's really funny is "Cancel Culture", where is becomes superfun to bandwagon and loose all individual thought! Review bombing, YouTube troll reviews, etc are fucking awful, and overall hurts the industry.

You have a pretty expansive definition of 'cancel culture', which suits the companies just fine of course. The things you're concerned about are usually criticized because they attack a product for things unrelated to that product (or related only insofar as it was the company that made said product that did it). An example would be calls for boycotting D2 purely due to its actions taken during certain Blizzard events in relation to a certain country (which is about as far as this forum will unfortunately allow me to specify, if that).

What they don't cover is simply expecting a good product. And my standards here are entirely about the product in question. Sure Blizzard may have a tarnished reputation, but that's not why I'm saying people shouldn't buy from them. If Blizzard makes an actually worthwhile D2 remaster (and I've clarified when I feel a remaster is worthwhile), go ahead and buy it. That's a proper review of the product itself, or rather of what I think we ought to expect from the product, with no extraneous concerns whatsoever. It's you who keeps pushing the idea that people should or will buy a D2 remaster simply because it's D2, as if a throwaway Baal plushie made by the cheapest bidder is also an insta-buy simply because it's more Diablo.

My standards don't even cover all potential buyers, albeit even you've admitted that the majority of buyers will be from the core D2 fanbase. For instance, it makes perfect sense for xMustard above to buy a D2 remaster even if contains no new content - he's never experienced even the base game, so he might as well buy the more polished version now. But that logic doesn't hold up for people who've all of base Diablo, and much else over and above that, because all they're getting is a fresh coat of paint. Also even then look at how xMustard is going to buy the game - "i'd never buy anything on release anymore. i'll wait for reviews and stuff." Now THAT is the kind of consumer behavior we ought to be encouraging. That kind of consumption forces companies to ensure they have an actually good product if they hope to make a buck. No more No Man's Sky / Wolcen / Warcraft Reforged / etc. bullshit. Not to mention the endless FIFA remakes that add nothing but an updated roster, and so much else brand-based nonsense.

You wanna know what really hurts gaming, far far more than 'cancel culture'? Hype culture. The power of marketing. Irrational consumption. Slavish brand loyalty. It takes away money from development in favor of marketing and props up so many bad products. Cancel culture doesn't typically destroy good games, unless they're really small. Hype culture has spoiled many many beloved franchises.

Expecting consumers to be more careful and considered and objective is practically the opposite of 'anti-capitalist'. On the contrary, it's merely bringing us just a little bit closer to the rational economic ideal that was the basis of the theories that helped popularize capitalism in the first place.
Last edited by Exile009 on May 20, 2020, 2:52:05 PM
Hope it can outperform the original by far.
"
Dessepp12 wrote:
Hope it can outperform the original by far.

Whose probation-dodging account are you?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info