Corona virus

"
Hopefully,like the Chinese (for now) managed, we get this under control

I have an easy way to evalute that fully. Once we see them producing products that get shipped over here and restock our supply lines we will know.

Perhaps to get it under control they did that. I doubt it but if they did then maybe Trump will have to do that too.

Pretty sure we can look to South Korea and hopefully Italy to prove this isnt necessary.

But you could be right. I doubt it though.

I do wonder about Iran though. We dont trade with them. We cant evalute alot within their borders. Like products coming out etc as a metric.

I would not be shocked if this virus causes the government of Iran to topple. It kills the old and hardly bothers the youth. And In Iran the youth is a overwhelm chunk of the population.

Didnt the Spanish Flu start in Kansas? And somehow if memory serves it wasnt called the American Flu. These bugs are global. Hopefully we never see two at once.
"

Didnt the Spanish Flu start in Kansas?

No.

But it was believed to be the first official reported case.

This is a very distinct difference as many cases ripped through China and Europe, and likely were not diagnosed correctly.

There are a few theories, but most likely Chinese in origin and spread through Eurpoe and America via military personnel.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
^Germs perpetuating racism, there is a critical theory paper in there somewhere.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
^Germs perpetuating racism, there is a critical theory paper in there somewhere.

Peace,

-Boem-

Is China a race or a country?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 10, 2020, 2:35:31 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

Is China a race or a country?

Do critical theory papers favor logic?

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
What Trump did or didnt do I could care. He will make his own turds. His followers seem to think he cant do any wrong. But, just like Obama, Trump has issues. This could be a bad one.
I guess that depends what you mean by "followers." There are lots and lots of people who support Trump overall but who see him as very capable of doing wrong. Me personally, I think there isn't a human being on planet Earth who can be trusted with the level of power vested in the Presidency without a continuous and severe risk of it corrupting them, hence a need for equally continuous and severe scrutiny by the press upon anyone — and I mean anyone — in the office. Just because I think Trump is among the best for the job doesn't mean I don't think Trump being President is a potential nightmare.

What's really going on here is that the center is shrinking and people are taking a more nakedly partisan approach to politics. Both in the "egads, Scrotie's a filthy Trump supporter!" sense AND the "our God Emperor can do no wrong" sense. It's a big problem. So big that forum moderators here and elsewhere are inclined to look upon the viciously partisan culture and say "fuck this, we're banning political discussion." After all, it is the function of moderators to moderate, and we're not being moderate anymore.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
^ in addition, its entirely possible, for a President, any President, to make a mistake, or be wrong about a particular action. There is no guidebook for some of this.

See Woodrow Wilson's Spanish Flu response, or lack there of, or Roosevelt's Japanese internment.

Horrific in hindsight, but at the time, they thought they were doing the right thing.
- Abraham Lincoln
I strongly suggest you all put a neat little bow on the direction of this conversation and turn a corner, for fairly obvious reasons. Or, at the very least, refer to places, not people: specific or otherwise. e.g. How China vs how America vs how Italy has handled it, as opposed to Xi vs Trump vs Conte. Not only because this sidesteps the current Code of Conduct regime, it also acknowledges that epidemic response isn't one man's call or job. It's a communal effort -- from the person at the top all the way down to parents making sure their kids wash their hands, and wash their hands, and WASH THEIR HANDS.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I'm on day 2 of a 14 day home quarantine after traveling to Hong Kong and returning to Taiwan. Sent my wife packing to her father's house first, where she'll have the joy of living with multiple generations of her family for the next two weeks. Her father, an uncle, her brother and his wife and kids, her sister and her husband and kids, and one of her nieces from another sister who passed.

I'll probably start to feel like I'm in jail a week or so in, but at least it's a well-accommodated one. She already feels like she's in an insane asylum after just one day.

I think I got the better end of this deal.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Just because I think Trump is among the best for the job doesn't mean I don't think Trump being President is a potential nightmare.

You lost me there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info