Corona virus

^

People aren't treating it like the flu because it isn't called the flu.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Mar 22, 2020, 10:57:57 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Ok, for the record, I consider myself a Corona Virus "truther".

People are going to look back at this years from now, and see it as one of the biggest overreactions in history. I'm laughing at everyone who's paranoid over this shit.

These two sentences show you're either unaware of how the virus is spreading, and what it actually does to people. Or just don't care. Either way, it isn't a good thing.

- Matt
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Something else to note here, and nobody seems to care about this, but 20000 people died from the Flu, in just the USA.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flu-deaths-20000-americans-this-season-including-136-children-cdc/

Why aren't people panicking, and buying up all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer every time flu season rolls around? Why is the economy not busted once a year, every flu season? Why are they not shutting down bars and restaurants and telling everyone to stay home every flu season, on the off chance they can bring it home to their elderly grandma?

People are going to look back at this years from now, and see it as one of the biggest overreactions in history. I'm laughing at everyone who's paranoid over this shit.

You're missing an important bit of info there - how many people caught a cold in the first place? That 20000 is a subset of what? The flu is highly contagious, far more so than this bug we're apparently overreacting to. Pretty sure millions of people around the world catch it some point every year. What proportion of them end up dead? And does said death toll ever reach a concentration point such that it's able to overload an entire (reasonably developed) nations' healthcare system?
Last edited by Exile009 on Mar 22, 2020, 11:02:42 PM
"
Boem wrote:

People aren't treating it like the flu because it isn't called the flu.

Peace,

-Boem-

It transmits in a similar way as the flu, it has flu-like symptoms, but the flu is actually more severe symptom wise. I know, because I've had the flu before, and had coronavirus. I ironically still contracted the flu one year, even though I was vaccinated for it. And I was sick for a full week, bedridden for 3 days. Coronavirus? I blew my nose, took some sudafed, and gargled with some listerine to get rid of the sore throat, and I went on about my business like it never happened.

Anyone at risk of dying from coronavirus, the flu would certainly kill you as well as a number of other types of viral, or bacterial infections, including pneumonia.

Yet, we're focusing on this one strain that hasn't killed even as many people as the common flu has.

Here:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

"

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 13,592 deaths reported worldwide; 340 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 22, 2020.*

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Coronavirus deaths, even if you take worst-case scenario predictions isn't even gonna be a drop in the bucket for the amount the flu kills every year, yet nobody is crashing the economy every flu season.

I already possessed little to no faith in humanity before this happened, and after this, well, let's say it's at an all time low. Humans deserve whatever they get at this point, from mother nature, or otherwise.

There could be millions of people who've contracted this coronavirus, and completely recovered with no to mild symptoms, and possess the antibodies in their blood, right now.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Mar 22, 2020, 11:08:49 PM
^ The flu varies quite a lot, but I think it's generally agreed it's not anywhere near as deadly this disease. So saying it's more severe isn't true. And btw, you're basing your impressions on a sample size of one, literally a single anecdote. And using it to question ideas about this disease based on data from many thousands, and ideas about the flu based on data from millions, across many decades.
It might have been a good idea to look up what the actual symptoms of the virus are before lying about having had it and how you treated it. Just saying...
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Coronavirus deaths, even if you take worst-case scenario predictions isn't even gonna be a drop in the bucket for the amount the flu kills every year, yet nobody is crashing the economy every flu season.

The worst case scenario is 90 million deaths (unlikely, since that assumes absolutely no response or countermeasures, but you did say worst case). Your move.

Edit: To clarify, that's a global extrapolation based on the findings of this study. I made a post explaining all that (well, to be honest, it was a copy of someone else who'd explained it) earlier in this thread - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3M2YZ2poHjLNHHyHS16EBOdkzoHA-vJ4UAYR2V-wHxj9q2AtM-0wzZf24
Last edited by Exile009 on Mar 22, 2020, 11:18:29 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Anyone at risk of dying from coronavirus, the flu would certainly kill you as well as a number of other types of viral, or bacterial infections, including pneumonia.

Coronavirus has a mortality rate that's 10 times that of the flu.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

It transmits in a similar way as the flu, it has flu-like symptoms, but the flu is actually more severe symptom wise. I know, because I've had the flu before, and had coronavirus.
"

So next Spring when my hayfever kicks in I should self isolate just in case its actually Covid-19?

Symptoms are simply the external manifestation of the bodies immune response and we get similar symptoms from a range of disease. Cough, sore throat, runny eyes, blocked nose and still and sore? You got Hayfever, Coronavirus, the Flu or maybe a Bacterial infection? Take your pick, but only one has anything to do with the Covid-19 virus.

-Matt
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
MrCoo1 wrote:

Coronavirus has a mortality rate that's 10 times that of the flu.

They have yet to determine an accurate mortality rate, because they don't know the true number of people who've been infected and recovered. It hasn't been around long enough to determine an accurate mortality rate.

Any doctor is lying to your face if they say they can give you an accurate number of global people infected. They can't. This is a fact. Unless they test everyone for the antibodies.

Based on all the panic surrounding this, I'd have never guessed in a million years that the mild symptoms I had a week ago was "THE BIG VIRUS THAT'S IMMINENT DOOM".

I'd be willing to bet that some of you have the antibodies as well.

What they do know however is that no children under age 9 have died from coronavirus. Flu kills children that age every year.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Mar 22, 2020, 11:22:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info