Corona virus

"

Meanwhile in Australia, we're putting billions towards bailing out airlines, because apparently they were struggling until now or something.

Don't worry, trade will just happen via land mass to australia when the airlines crash due to the economic shock on the travel sector.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
The problem with keeping the government in check is that it always involves trying to present the situation in a way thats not as bad as the government presents it when in reality it might be worse. The last thing we want is to give easily influenced people more reasons to go out and do whatever they want
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Mar 21, 2020, 11:38:03 AM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
The problem with keeping the government in check is that it always involves trying to present the situation in a way thats not as bad as the government presents it when in reality it might be worse. The last thing we want is to give easily influenced people more reasons to go out and do whatever they want

Not quite, because its relatively easy to make a rational and critically argumented case that once the global GDP shrinks x% the total life lost will be higher then what the virus will cost in human life.

So you can actually make a far worse case for the future then what the goverment is currently presenting.

But its a case of "the good thing triumphs over the right thing in a time of crisis".

Because everybody is reacting highly emotional to the crisis which allows irrational decisions to be mainstreamed.

Dont take this as a justification for people to do as they please, i am for a quarantine event, but it all depends on the duration of that event to justify its existence.
Once a time treshhold is reached the costs of the quarantine will overtake the costs of the virus realistically speaking so we have a window of time to do what we are currently doing but without a structure and solid plan behind it its irrational.

So the fear of people watching the economics and potential human tragedy as a consequence of this quarantine aren't making void or "emotionless" or "inhumane" claims, they are in fact concerned with milions of family's getting into a spiral of dispair because of the lay-offs in the time to come and already happening.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Call me again when there is an actual proof of governments seizing more power because of the disease.

your definition of "actual proof" would probably never be fulfilled lol
if you think it could be, just read a history book.

did you not live through all the gun control shit after every single shooting?
did you not live through 9/11 and the crap that brought to the table?

it isn't necessarily that the government causes things to happen, but never let a good crisis go to waste. they definitely seize the opportunity

one single event in 2001 single handedly got a country unified to go to war and nearly instate martial law in their home towns.

you constantly, and probably GLADLY, sign/vote over your rights and freedoms over the illusion that the government will keep you safe. mind-boggling.
Meh, the projections don't account for the complete collapse of the healthcare system if we let the virus do whatever it wants. You think people will work when others are dying on the streets because there is not a single bed left at the hospitals? You think there wont be riots? That supposed movement where we kinda let the virus do its thing and we keep on living our lives is impossible to achieve.

"
did you not live through all the gun control shit after every single shooting?
did you not live through 9/11 and the crap that brought to the table?

I think this was a wake up call.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Meh, the projections don't account for the complete collapse of the healthcare system if we let the virus do whatever it wants. You think people will work when others are dying on the streets because there is not a single bed left at the hospitals? You think there wont be riots? That supposed movement where we kinda let the virus do its thing and we keep on living our lives is impossible to achieve.

Just re-read what your saying.

Millions of people die every year to diseases and people continue to work.

You seen any riots recently against cancer, how about against ebola in afrika?
Your story doesn't pass a simple check with reality, sorry.

don't mistake the significance of this event given by the media and perpetuation on social fora with its actual significance.
It's like looking at whats trending on twitter and thinking thats the top stuff of the day going on.

Also my point is that even in a worse case scenario with the virus, the potential for economical destruction if this quarantine is prolonged will be greater at a certain threshhold, i assume experts are currently trying to determine that threshhold.

Like i mentioned earlier in this thread, current global gdp shrink at 10% is twice that of the economical shrink during WWI.
And its unlikely to stop at 10%, more realistic numbers are five times the shrink of WWI on a global scale.

A shrink like that if sustained for long can easily dwarf the worst case scenario projections of covid running rampant in a society.

Again, these are probably things experts are contemplating currently to find a solid middle-ground that takes the best of both outcomes because every choice in life is a trade-off for something else.

Peace,

-Boem-
I've personally seen someone being kicked out of a bus because he was coughing. This was before the thing even became a pandemic.

Another thing, we already know that social isolation works, we have no idea if the complete collapse of the healthcare system will.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Another thing, we already know that social isolation works, we have no idea if the complete collapse of the healthcare system will.

That's the trade off most country's have agreed on currently.

But now imagine that the virus keeps traveling and comes back in a few months for round two.
Now imagine an isolation strategy prolonged over a period of six months.

Now think about the millions of family's that cant feed their children after they eat away their low amount of savings in the next month.

Thats why people are only making projections from a week to week basis at most, nobody knows when the turning point is going to come when society needs to decide to sacrifice the 1% for the survival of the group.
If we are lucky, we never have to make that call, but to think we have an infinite amount of time to do what we are currently doing is childish at best.

I expect to see a lot of resources being put into hospital capacity so people can continue to operate in the economy while managing the infection rates for round two.

Charans remark about kapitalism and the markets failing under pressure is highly suspect in this regard. People are literally sacrificing personal gains to direct resources where the community as a whole requires them the most, which is perfectly in line with a kapitalist market of demand.

In my country hospitals have been creating three new wings each in a week time for the big spike of cases to come at the cost of resources going elsewhere, obviously.

Only difference is, our goverment or people aren't flaunting it to the world as some monumental task, it just gets done because the demand is there.

Peace,

-Boem-
Im very scared. The pandemy didnt started on my city yet and I already saw people going crazy... Honestly fear human race more than the virus itself. Some keep travelling and doing social events like its all "lies", some are full paranoid and even going hostile towards anyone old age saying that its their fault, some KEEP going to church praying that all infidels blablabla jesus will come back blablabla. Its chaotic and show human nature at its best.

Economy and people crazyness will cause more deaths than the virus itself.
Where are you, IHellBoundI?

Be safe.
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info