Wolcen Hype Release!

I never really enjoyed that sort of game, the BGs and the Planescapes and even the Divinity Original Sins. Somehow just missed the boat, but I suspect once the narrative gets that hefty, I'd rather just read a book.

Wolcen, BG3? An action-heavy ARPG and a party-based deep-dive TSR-tradition RPG? They're not even vaguely comparable other than they're both fantasy, so why would I care? I wanted an action-heavy ARPG with more build options than D3 and fewer unnecessary complications than PoE. Wolcen is precisely that. It was NEVER about the hype for me. It was about a game that gave me what I wanted. Period.

I thought it was obvious pages back I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks about Wolcen. I bought the game when it was cheap and I'm pushing 600 hours now. These are facts. I enjoy it deeply. Also a fact. Does anything else really matter when it comes to a buy to play game? Does how you feel about it affect me? Nope. Does it affect the game? Nope. At worst it means support for it dwindles and if I'm happy with how it is now (give or take non-functioning passives, which I am dead sure they'll fix before almost anything else), then that doesn't bother me either.

You have to remember, I've sunk hundreds of hours into Titan Quest. Offline. And that game is *way* less action-orientated. Less polished. Less interesting really. Unlike a lot of you, my first ARPG experience was offline (Diablo 1 shareware), and the vast majority of my PoE play was alone. I am not an online creature when it comes to gaming, unless a really good game forces me to be, few and far between though they are. Sooo...this whole tribalism? The need to have others verify a game, to have others agree with me in order to feel good about playing a game? Yeah, I just don't have that. Far, far too many obscure games I've loved over the decades that pretty much no one heard of or perhaps liked for that to be a factor for me.

So...that's that. I am very selfish about this, because...why shouldn't I be? Got what I paid for. And then some. Someone else didn't? Not my monkey, not my circus.

__

That said, some of the hilarious bugs I've seen on the reddit are the result of poor networking. No surprise there; the MP tech beta was pretty rough, and they weren't going to miraculously fix that in a few months. Wolcen's just fine alone, but there's no doubt once you start treating it like an MP game things start to really spiral out of control.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 3, 2020, 8:54:13 PM
Makes sense, i picked you more for the character customization and role player type in which case BG3 seemed superior in my eyes.

It does miss out heavily on that direct action part but at least they moved away from the D:OS system of combat.

I guess like you described it, wolcen sits nicely in between D3 and PoE but damn does it lack polish as far as i am concerned. Hope they manage it in the upcomming months because its not like i don't want it to be what was advertised.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : not sure what the whole rant-add-on was for, if you enjoy it then thats that.
And for the record i never touched wolcen online so i don't even know about networking issues.
Got a good 100 hours in solo i reckon and mostly enjoyed melee since it seems to require little to no calculations to be effective.(and yes, not crashing ups the enjoyment for me) So as far as i can tell they need a lot of work "under the hood" to make the game enjoyable.
I would rate the visual artists at a 9/10 and most others at a 5/10 on wolcen so far, but thats just my opinion, which like you said is irrelevant.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Mar 3, 2020, 9:05:35 PM
"
"
deathflower wrote:
The easiest way to kill a tree would be to chop it down.

Be careful, this one has taken three lives.
Scarier than ol'Ralakesh himself.

Maybe you want to attack it and see damage numbers?
https://youtu.be/7ef2OUI8eBQ?t=1380

Shrubs are not trees. If your mum is a shrubbery, I will burn it.

Spoiler
PS: Moderators selectively ignore reports on things. If they and the report function can and will be ignored, people will be less likely to report. Meaning more spam, trolling, etc across the entire site. Their hands-off approach isn't the appropriate solution.

Since the moderaters have failed to perform their duties effectively, I am here to inform you I am not morally bounded to consider their psychological well-being and will take the necessary satisfactory action thereafter; Be direct and confrontational. Where it may cause complications, that is very unfortunate.

Last edited by deathflower on Mar 3, 2020, 9:02:46 PM
"
Boem wrote:
Makes sense, i picked you more for the character customization and role player type in which case BG3 seemed superior in my eyes.

It does miss out heavily on that direct action part but at least they moved away from the D:OS system of combat.

I guess like you described it, wolcen sits nicely in between D3 and PoE but damn does it lack polish as far as i am concerned. Hope they manage it in the upcomming months because its not like i don't want it to be what was advertised.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : not sure what the whole rant-add-on was for, if you enjoy it then thats that.
And for the record i never touched wolcen online so i don't even know about networking issues.
Got a good 100 hours in solo i reckon and mostly enjoyed melee since it seems to require little to no calculations to be effective.(and yes, not crashing ups the enjoyment for me) So as far as i can tell they need a lot of work "under the hood" to make the game enjoyable.
I would rate the visual artists at a 9/10 and most others at a 5/10 on wolcen so far, but thats just my opinion, which like you said is irrelevant.

I'm jumping in the convo so I hope you don't mind. For me what I been wanting is a good multiplayer game with the aarpg aspect. POE is a multiplayer game but every time I been with others the one who does the most damage is always leading the pack and it never feels like a "team" effort.

While at the moment the multiplayer isn't perfect in Wolcen I have been enjoying the longer fights SOMETIMES but I do enjoy how it feels more friendly being in a party. Feels horrible to play in a multiplayer game and feel like you're just following people around contributing absolutely nothing other than IIQ.

I also checked out the BG3 because I didn't know what that even was. Looks pretty cool to me.
"
"
deathflower wrote:
Where it may cause complications, that is very unfortunate.

Salt, lick.

Wolcen is garbage. [Removed by Support]

This is just a whim but it is will be great fun. I will even feed your addiction.

Non-proliferation strategy only work if people agree to keep things under control. It can't be dangerous if it primarily consisted of low flames slowly or barely spreading.
Last edited by Allen_GGG on Mar 4, 2020, 1:19:22 AM
Moderator that is selectively editing my post and I can't change it. If you are deleting it, Delete the WHOLE THING!!!
Last edited by deathflower on Mar 4, 2020, 1:56:44 AM
"
deathflower wrote:
Moderator that is selectively editing my post and I can't change it. If you are deleting it, Delete the WHOLE THING!!!
They removed only the part against the Code of Conduct. Happens all the time. Best get used to that happening when you insult another user so directly lol.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
They removed only the part against the Code of Conduct. Happens all the time. Best get used to that happening when you insult another user so directly lol.

Selective deletion is bad practice. Delete the whole post or none at all. Passages that are selective edited are potentially misleading. Selective deletion should be used very sparingly. They need to revise their policies.
Back on topic...

I find it interesting that the current most-known post-release 'speaking out' by Wolcen Studio is in German, aimed at German audiences. Not French, not English. Is that a perceived player base? Did they not get enough of a drubbing from that initial mocking review from gamestar.de of an even buggier version than launched? All very fascinating.

I love that I'm still unlocking common dyes. I only have a few rares. I think I found a black dye in Guild Wars 1 quicker than this, and those suckers sold for 30g on a good day. Don't ask me to contextualise that amount. You either get it or you don't.

Must be something about the coding, but for some reason neither PoE nor Wolcen can get the 'chain hook' thing done right. It's just plain obnoxiously unpredictable in both games. The Wolcen version gives me less of a headache when you enable the 'reverse scorpion' mod that makes it much more like PoE's Chain Hook than Scorpion's 'Get Over Here' though. So that's a thing.

I like how the intensity of the weapon glow is determined by how much flat damage the weapon does and thus is easy to manipulate with gems.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:

Selective deletion is bad practice. Delete the whole post or none at all. Passages that are selective edited are potentially misleading. Selective deletion should be used very sparingly. They need to revise their policies.
Regardless of what you said, and who saw or didn't see it, that "Removed by Support" means you said something that went against the rules. That's what it always means. It's not misleading at all.

They don't typically remove entire posts for the kind of minor violation of the rules that your comment was.

Also, they send you a private message when they edit one of your posts. Why not respond to it and discuss it with them directly?
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info