[3.17] Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems (No Further Updates)

I have trash gear yet and slowly farming for upgrades and I have problem with tougher bosses. Failed Sirus last night but Im very bad at this fight, uber elder is for me like 10x easier.

So Im gonna swap to Ice Spear for bosses but I wonder which quality would be best pick (ice spear is cheap so might aswell pick best one).

Superior gives 40% projectile speed.
Anomalous pierce 2 additional targets
Divergent 20% increase cold damage
Phantasmal 20% reduced travel distance before changing form

I guess divergent or phantasmal but which one would be better just for bosskilling?
Last edited by Asag on Jan 23, 2021, 3:17:06 AM
"
olegyaluck wrote:
no damage from totems at all, what should I do? help me please

Use a 2nd wand instead of a shield, that first wand isn't amazing either.

Your amulet isn't great and has made you take compromises elsewhere.

Arcane surge shouldn't be 20, you'll rarely set it off. Mine's at 11, which sets it off every time I use frostbite.

You don't flasks 2, 3, or 4. You can get damage flasks there - even just a diamond and silver. Atziri's promise is relatively cheap too.
Last edited by NoImagination on Jan 23, 2021, 4:06:10 AM
Hi!

I am playing this FreesePulse totem build for many leagues in HC SSF. As I have limited access to items, I think I have found some good ideas/upgrades for basic build. Let me know what you think.

My version of lvl 97 build in Heist FlashBack HC SSF: https://pastebin.com/SYdfVfZT

There are 3 key differences from Wallachs's version:

1. I dont use Kikazarus, I use Crusader rings with -35% to curses and Imbued catalystsa that makes them up to -42% (all you need is 80% for both). I am sure that almost ANY Crusader ring is better than Kikazaru! I have not read this thread and maybe somebody has already suggested this, but I think this is very important to try to get Crusader rings.

Take a look:

2. I dont path to Sanctum of Thought, but anoint it on amulet. This way I save 4 points. I think that is much better than any extra bonus that you would get from anointing any other key passive. (Maybe except for 'extra curse', but that costs 3 gold oils and it is not easy to get them in SSF).

3. I don't use that much mana passives, I only get bare minimum for mana to be aroud 40% of life, saving points for other passives. I have my mana pool as a buff for only 1 critical hit. I mean- it doesnt matter if I have 1900 or 2100 mana, as long as I survive 'oneshot'. By not having that many mana passives, I save around 3-4 points to be used elsewhere.
In this particular build I have around 5K life and little bit less than 2K mana (making it around 7K EHP).

So- what do you think, is my version better?*

p.s And I use shield charge for movement skill, dont like to walk/run and shiled gives extra protection in HC.

*PoB suggests it is :)

Edit:
Last edited by Beaviz on Jan 23, 2021, 8:44:37 AM
"
NoImagination wrote:
"
olegyaluck wrote:
no damage from totems at all, what should I do? help me please

Use a 2nd wand instead of a shield, that first wand isn't amazing either.

Your amulet isn't great and has made you take compromises elsewhere.

Arcane surge shouldn't be 20, you'll rarely set it off. Mine's at 11, which sets it off every time I use frostbite.

You don't flasks 2, 3, or 4. You can get damage flasks there - even just a diamond and silver. Atziri's promise is relatively cheap too.

Thank you! I did it according to your advice, it got much better
Let's take Atziri's Reflection as the standard choice in a regular trade league.

1. Viridi's Veil:

- Gain 2 ring mods, lose Zealotry
- Gain 2nd weapon and thus 6 weapon mods
- Gain some crit protection
- Lose 10% all resists
- Lose 30% FP speed
- Lose 6 helmet mods

This doesn't look as good to me as is possible with absolute top tier gear, and we might get close to that due to deterministic crafting with Harvest possible this league, albeit rarely.

2. 2x Conqueror rings:

- Gain 10 ring mods, lose Zealotry + Hatred
- Gain 2nd weapon and thus 6 weapon mods
- Lose 30% all resists
- Lose 2 passives, we already need some mana nodes
- Lose access to Watcher's Eyes

The problem here is really the last item, plus the aura dps loss. Even at T1 mana on both rings (and the weapon?), it seems very hard to get enough mana to retain one aura and be using MoM efficiently.

"
Beaviz wrote:
So- what do you think, is my version better?

It's definitely better than Kikazuru.

I don't think you're doing mana correctly though - surely you want to keep the 3:2 ratio? Losing life nodes and gaining mana nodes until you hit it seems better to me, particularly if you have +mana on gear somewhere. A 5% life node vs. a 10% or higher mana node on average doesn't make up for a higher count of flat life mods on gear does it?

Also, what lets you give the amulet triple influences?

Edit: Come to think of it, losing the Eye effectively gives us 2 more passive points, so the ring route doesn't make any difference to passive point counts in the tree.
Last edited by NoImagination on Jan 23, 2021, 9:13:57 AM
"
NoImagination wrote:
Let's take Atziri's Reflection as the standard choice in a regular trade league.

My excample ws about SSF, so I use "Shaper shield with +1 totems" as a base.

"
NoImagination wrote:

1. Viridi's Veil:

This is the new Maven helm? Havent checked new items, don't have an opinion. I use in my example "ordinary rare helm with (hopefully) FreezingPulse enchantment", again- because of SSF.

"
NoImagination wrote:

I don't think you're doing mana correctly though - surely you want to keep the 3:2 ratio?

No, for bare minimum (to survive 1 crit 'oneshot') you are looking for 1:0.4 ratio. Or you could say 10(L):4(M) ratio. My example is "mana is 40% of life", but in yours it is "mana is 60% of life). If I understand MoM correctly, there is no gain to have more mana than 40% of life amount (for one big crit hit).

"
NoImagination wrote:

Losing life nodes and gaining mana nodes until you hit it seems better to me, particularly if you have +mana on gear somewhere.

I think the ration is important, so you just need to get 1:0.4 ratio with any combination of life/mana (obviosly, more is better, just need the ratio)

"
NoImagination wrote:

A 5% life node vs. a 10% or higher mana node on average doesn't make up for a higher count of flat life mods on gear does it?

From my experiance in my builds 5% coresponds to around +100 life and flat additional flat life give 2x of its amount (like +100life on gear would give +200 life in total). So it depends, what is better: +5% life or +53 flat life :)

"
NoImagination wrote:

Also, what lets you give the amulet triple influences?

If I understand your question- it has 2 influences (shaper and redeemer), because it is special item type "Astrolabe amulet" that can have any influiences. I just got lucky (after 200-300 chaos) to get double ppenetration :)

"
NoImagination wrote:

Edit: Come to think of it, losing the Eye effectively gives us 2 more passive points, so the ring route doesn't make any difference to passive point counts in the tree.

Well, unfortunatly I am coward and dont fight Elder in HC, so I cant get whatcher's eye normaly (except for from DIV cards) and I cant buy in in SSF, so I cant comment anything about it.
"
NoImagination wrote:

I know you're playing SSF. I'm interested in how this applies to a standard trade league.

"
Beaviz wrote:
No, for bare minimum (to survive 1 crit 'oneshot') you are looking for 1:0.4 ratio. Or you could say 10(L):4(M) ratio. My example is "mana is 40% of life", but in yours it is "mana is 60% of life). If I understand MoM correctly, there is no gain to have more mana than 40% of life amount (for one big crit hit).

My understanding is that if 40% of damage is taken from mana before life, that means 60% is being taken by life.

If you're hit for 10k, 4k goes to mana, 6k goes to life. If you only have 5k life, you die, if you have 6001 life or if you have 9,001 life, there's no difference; you live. But as mana nodes are more efficient than life nodes, you want to get to 3:2 ratio +1 life to maximise your eHP.

"
Beaviz wrote:
From my experiance in my builds 5% coresponds to around +100 life and flat additional flat life give 2x of its amount (like +100life on gear would give +200 life in total). So it depends, what is better: +5% life or +53 flat life :)

For me right now:

10% life is +151 flat
10% mana is +101 flat

So we're (semi-coincidentally) back to 3:2 again. Every mana node you take except the ones leading to Sanctum of Thought are more efficient than life by > 3:2 ratio. The ones I'm taking are 14% average to Arcane Will and to Deep Thoughts and > 10% to Mystic Bulwark & Prodigal Perfection that have other benefits. I'd need to be trading for 9% and 7% nodes respectively, but the options are for 5% max.

Last edited by NoImagination on Jan 23, 2021, 10:38:26 AM
"
NoImagination wrote:

If you're hit for 10k, 4k goes to mana, 6k goes to life. If you only have 5k life, you die, if you have 6001 life or if you have 9,001 life, there's no difference; you live. But as mana nodes are more efficient than life nodes, you want to get to 3:2 ratio +1 life to maximise your eHP.

So we're (semi-coincidentally) back to 3:2 again. Every mana node you take except the ones leading to Sanctum of Thought are more efficient than life by > 3:2 ratio. The ones I'm taking are 14% average to Arcane Will and to Deep Thoughts and > 10% to Mystic Bulwark & Prodigal Perfection that have other benefits. I'd need to be trading for 9% and 7% nodes respectively, but the options are for 5% max.

Looks like we both are correct: you have a point about mana being more effective and I have a point about using those points not for mana but for other nodes (not nessecerly 5% life nodes) that give more other effects (dps?). As you can see in my tree- I dont take those bae 5% life nodes, but take other:
Actually , I think I am wrong and you are right about mom ratios. I always thought MoM is something like "Damage is taken from Mana first as 30% of your life", but that is not the case. Well, you learn something every day, even after playing PoE for 8 years.

So in my example 5K life and 2K mana is not ideal. With 5K life mana should be around 3333. Back to PoB :)

p.s. English as mother language helps as well to understand PoE, that I dont have...
Last edited by Beaviz on Jan 23, 2021, 11:30:19 AM
Yeh, I know the feeling. This game is complicated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info