[3.8] CI Mjolner CoC Ball Lightning Assassin - up to 6M Shaper DPS, 11k ES, 5k+ ES Recovery/s

"
ment2008 wrote:
@OP

You should update the title, [3.9]

This guide is not updated for 3.9...

"
kaldaskeren wrote:

btw.. I still need lvl 21 gems and better jewels. Anyone got suggestions for upgrades? Those spider boots + aspect of the spider - dunno if its worth it?

Got pretty lucky with a couple of deals so got an awesome helmet for 1 ex and watchers eye for 8 ex. But in pob i still only (if i calculated correct) got around 3 million shaper dps. It doesnt feel that awesome on T16 metamorphs. Need more :) considering LL build like NomadFX.

1. Buy 21/0 ball lighting gems, they are not that expensive.
2. I would relevel all the support gems from 1/20.
3. Get a damage mod on your shield.
4. As far as I remember, Disciple of the Forbidden is better than Divine Judgement for damage. Check it in PoB.
5. Get more strength from your gear and replace Efficient Training with a rare jewel. Catalysts will help you.
6. Do the metamorph bosses have high lightning resist? If so, lightning pen support is better than elemental focus even without shock.

"
omitsilence wrote:
looking for ideas to gain Fortify before i got Mjolner corrputed.

Flamedash doesnt work, maybe use leapslam?

p.s.: sorry for my english^^

Leap slam or shield charge + fortify support is what you are looking for.
"
gopotan wrote:
Guys I have around 10-11 exa in my possesion. Is it possible to pull this build with that amount of currency?

And actually I was debating between This build and Whispering Ice Scion. Which one would you suggest with this currency to start with?

And also how tanky is this build against t14-t16 mobs, bosses and Morphs?

Wanna play tanky build doesnt care that much about damage tho

This build is very tanky as long as you are hitting something. Unfortunately it became expensive this league.
tried to make this build work (scion version), but melee isn't in the good spot really in this league. Even with swap belt and good gear you die too much to my liking and again - not build fault - it can't utilize headhunter to it's fullest.

so idk how do you guys do Sirus, especially at lvl 8, I'm at level 5 still, 194 hours in the league, getting bit crazy. First time I failed, 2 another I just whatever, after 3 portals bought carries (lvl3 sirus), no good drops. This league is only 2 exalts drops was the best I got, so pretty meh also.

Build is pretty good at sustain, but severely lacking dps in my liking. Still maybe that's I'm comparing last 3.8 league to this.
Struggle to leech when its single target though, any tips? (Nvm found the answer)

How do you guys reserve all 3 skills even with enlighten though? I tried putting a level 4 enlighten in POB still have issues with reserve mana or do u guys not run purity of fire?
Last edited by PandaZeus on Dec 26, 2019, 12:42:03 AM
"
divinity wrote:
tried to make this build work (scion version), but melee isn't in the good spot really in this league. Even with swap belt and good gear you die too much to my liking and again - not build fault - it can't utilize headhunter to it's fullest.

so idk how do you guys do Sirus, especially at lvl 8, I'm at level 5 still, 194 hours in the league, getting bit crazy. First time I failed, 2 another I just whatever, after 3 portals bought carries (lvl3 sirus), no good drops. This league is only 2 exalts drops was the best I got, so pretty meh also.

Build is pretty good at sustain, but severely lacking dps in my liking. Still maybe that's I'm comparing last 3.8 league to this.

The difficulty of the game increased a lot after the patch 3.9. Before, 1M shaper DPS was enough to clear everything, but in this league, even 3M shaper DPS is not enough. The damage from monsters increased a lot as well. I have died 10 times more often this league... These factors can be the reason for your bad experience.

With that said, you are not exactly following the guide. I've already told you that the AoE nodes will increase your DPS as well as QoL, yet you are missing some AoE nodes. The unique helmet might be a good budget item, but not a good endgame item. Now, you are not using The Wise Oak, either and you lack lightning pen. Let's say, you are fighting a metamorph boss with an increased elemental resist mod (+40%). The boss has 80% uncapped lightning resist and you have only 6% lightning pen from the passive tree (Because you cannot consistently apply lightning exposure, I'll ignore it for this discussion). In this scenario, the boss have effectively 74% lightning resist, reducing your damage by 74%. If you get -9 lightning res from your helmet and 15% lightning pen from The Wise Oak, the effective lightning resist of the boss becomes 50%. This means that the helmet and the Wise oak can double your dps against the boss. The amulet is not a good endgame item, either. There are a lot of room to improve your character.

@c0debr3ak Please post your PoB, that will help other players a lot.
@codebr3ak is the cyclone enchantment preferable to the ball lightning damage one?
I have considerable PoE experience, especially with CoC builds. Just switched from Cospri CoC (Nova/FB) to this build, wanted to try something different.

Build absolutely destroys maps up to T16, including bosses/metamorphs.
I still find that I'll randomly explode sometimes to oneshots, since this is a low-avoidance build that relies on you hitting constantly for leech.

(Example - stuff like those spear-throwing legion dudes, like 2 spears from offscreen easily 1shots me.) Still need more testing/experience to compare CoC/Cospri variants and Mjolner/BL

Current gear:
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/kvv9vDRB

My gear is far from perfect, somewhat budget. I need to work on jewels, work on an elder ring (so I can use Mark of Shaper) - need to eventually replace gear for more str, so I can drop a rare ring, and efficiency jewel etc. Have one open jewel slot in PoB which is for my watcher's eye - I just spend all my currency (13 ex) on a Discipline / Zealotry Watcher's Eye. Haven't even gotten to use it yet, so unsure how much stronger it will feel over my Spinneret boots. Maybe i'll use both for now, until I farm more $ to fix gear.

Instead of rare helm I went with budget option of Crown of Inward Eye. According to PoB, the damage difference between Crown & Rare Helm with 40% LB Damage & -9% Lightning Resistances is minimal. Actually quite close - although a rare helm will have about 100-150 more ES (but 1000 less armor). Benefit of unique helm is you can allocate a different passive for necklace. PoB shows Divine Judgement is more DPS for me than Disciple of Forbidden so... that's what I went with.

Also, while it's minimal, between the unique Crown (1000 armor) and my belt (800 armor) and a Granite flask, I have something like 32% physical mitigation which is decent I guess.

Lunaris shield seems to be best DPS increase with decent ES. I think a really well rolled rare shield is better (+1 lightning skills, % spelldmg, etc.) and will have more ES, but more expensive.

Since I use Lethal Pride I have 75% block chance, which synergizes well with Lunaris Shield for 75% critical strike multiplier. Big damage!

Unsure on proper gem setup now, still need 21 LB and % quality on some gems. I dropped Ele Focus for Lightning Pen in main link, and Innervate on Mjolner (it's always up on trash, which will also buff main LB damage).

Welcome any thoughts on changes/upgrades, will be testing more in next few days. Overall build is good but may have some flaws needing correcting.

Some issues I noted:

1) Crit chance is quite low, for a CoC build. Sure we easily have 95-100% accuracy but crit chance I see for most people is 50-60% unbuffed and 80% with diamond flask. At 50% that's 1/2 of your hits actually proccing LB... seems wasteful.

2) No secondary defenses IE: Evasion, low armor (without flask), no endurance charge, currently no fortify (Mjolner corrupted with fortify is like 30-35ex right now). Also would like to run Blood & Sand for AoE Blind but... we are aura packed already.

3) Maybe I'm confused about new leech mechanics, but PoB shows 162 ES Gain/Hit. I remember in the past it would show something like Leech/Second or whatever. My understanding is now each hit is a leech instance and it stacks, so if we're hitting like 15-20 times per second, we should be hitting leech cap very quickly right? But I feel like on single targets, like a single boss, my leech is quite weak. I'm trying to figure out how important stuff like Ethereal Feast is - just this 3 points alone increases this number from 162 to 665 which seems ridiculously significant, unless i'm not understanding this.

I play a lot of leech builds in the past and I'm used to seeing my life or ES recover much quicker, but this build, leech feels very slow and weak. Obviously we get a lot from ES on Hit from Watcher's Eye (or Spinnerets) but regular leech doesn't seem to do much.
Cospri CoC Cold->Fire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2576559
Divine Ire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2459778
Last edited by KooperT on Dec 26, 2019, 3:47:07 PM
Hi ,

Thanks for the build !

I would like to know what i can change / do to get more Offensive power... I feel that i am not close at all with your 6m shaper dps... Can you help me and check out what i can change ?

https://pastebin.com/yvET8eZn

thanks
"
KooperT wrote:
I have considerable PoE experience, especially with CoC builds. Just switched from Cospri CoC (Nova/FB) to this build, wanted to try something different.

Build absolutely destroys maps up to T16, including bosses/metamorphs.
I still find that I'll randomly explode sometimes to oneshots, since this is a low-avoidance build that relies on you hitting constantly for leech.

(Example - stuff like those spear-throwing legion dudes, like 2 spears from offscreen easily 1shots me.) Still need more testing/experience to compare CoC/Cospri variants and Mjolner/BL

Current gear:
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/kvv9vDRB

My gear is far from perfect, somewhat budget. I need to work on jewels, work on an elder ring (so I can use Mark of Shaper) - need to eventually replace gear for more str, so I can drop a rare ring, and efficiency jewel etc. Have one open jewel slot in PoB which is for my watcher's eye - I just spend all my currency (13 ex) on a Discipline / Zealotry Watcher's Eye. Haven't even gotten to use it yet, so unsure how much stronger it will feel over my Spinneret boots. Maybe i'll use both for now, until I farm more $ to fix gear.

Instead of rare helm I went with budget option of Crown of Inward Eye. According to PoB, the damage difference between Crown & Rare Helm with 40% LB Damage & -9% Lightning Resistances is minimal. Actually quite close - although a rare helm will have about 100-150 more ES (but 1000 less armor). Benefit of unique helm is you can allocate a different passive for necklace. PoB shows Divine Judgement is more DPS for me than Disciple of Forbidden so... that's what I went with.

Also, while it's minimal, between the unique Crown (1000 armor) and my belt (800 armor) and a Granite flask, I have something like 32% physical mitigation which is decent I guess.

Lunaris shield seems to be best DPS increase with decent ES. I think a really well rolled rare shield is better (+1 lightning skills, % spelldmg, etc.) and will have more ES, but more expensive.

Since I use Lethal Pride I have 75% block chance, which synergizes well with Lunaris Shield for 75% critical strike multiplier. Big damage!

Unsure on proper gem setup now, still need 21 LB and % quality on some gems. I dropped Ele Focus for Lightning Pen in main link, and Innervate on Mjolner (it's always up on trash, which will also buff main LB damage).

Welcome any thoughts on changes/upgrades, will be testing more in next few days. Overall build is good but may have some flaws needing correcting.

Some issues I noted:

1) Crit chance is quite low, for a CoC build. Sure we easily have 95-100% accuracy but crit chance I see for most people is 50-60% unbuffed and 80% with diamond flask. At 50% that's 1/2 of your hits actually proccing LB... seems wasteful.

2) No secondary defenses IE: Evasion, low armor (without flask), no endurance charge, currently no fortify (Mjolner corrupted with fortify is like 30-35ex right now). Also would like to run Blood & Sand for AoE Blind but... we are aura packed already.

3) Maybe I'm confused about new leech mechanics, but PoB shows 162 ES Gain/Hit. I remember in the past it would show something like Leech/Second or whatever. My understanding is now each hit is a leech instance and it stacks, so if we're hitting like 15-20 times per second, we should be hitting leech cap very quickly right? But I feel like on single targets, like a single boss, my leech is quite weak. I'm trying to figure out how important stuff like Ethereal Feast is - just this 3 points alone increases this number from 162 to 665 which seems ridiculously significant, unless i'm not understanding this.

I play a lot of leech builds in the past and I'm used to seeing my life or ES recover much quicker, but this build, leech feels very slow and weak. Obviously we get a lot from ES on Hit from Watcher's Eye (or Spinnerets) but regular leech doesn't seem to do much.

Well.. if u read his post he did mention that:

"The most important defensive layer in this build is Watcher's eye with an "ES on hit" mod. Because ball lightning has a very high hit frequency (150 ms/hit), we can gain an insane amount of ES from this unique jewel alone. Let's say, our ball lightning hits 13 times per cast and we cast 10 ball lightnings per second. This corresponds to 136 hits per second (cyclone hits 6 times/s), hence 4000 ES recovery/s. On top of that, we use energy shield leech and ES regeneration from consecrated ground. With all of these combined, we achieve 5000+ES recovery/s against a single target, and the recovery becomes even more if multiple enemies are around you."

He also did mention that everything became expensive hence there are certain issues..

So wouldn't be surprise that leech isn't as good without it considering he also did not focus on ES regeneration rate, then again this build is still great if u have the currency to spare
Last edited by PandaZeus on Dec 26, 2019, 10:36:45 PM
Just curious to those going this build, do ya'all run elemental focus or lightning penetration?

I'm stuck between deciding the two, I'm just thinking in normal cases conductivity would have been more than enough, but with 3.9 increase in resistance of bosses, would getting more lightning penetration be better or is it over kill, cause the way I see it I would have like nearly 80% lightning penetration in total, not sure if its overkill
What's the recommended way to level this build?
livejamie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info