Incinerate

The spell can't crit. That makes it pretty worthless in high-level maps where you can't just stand there and facetank things. The people who report good results have all done it in lower difficulties or low-level maps. Incinerate already lacks the flexibility and freedom of most other spells, and since it can't apply freezing and/or shock, it's literally not a viable spell in the very high levels (74+ maps). Even if it could crit, getting it to work mandates a build that's so diluted, due to its absurd mana cost, that it won't be better than the other caster builds. It's like trying to make an Arctic Breath build -- you can kill mobs with it, you can beat Merciless with it, but it's a shit spell that can't compete with the rest.
"
Draftbeer wrote:
^
Maybe but after (not sure before or after) you multiply
reduce it by 80%. Since it's 20% effectiveness.

One way or another it's still a very little lightning damage
but with a fast fire rate.

0,2*1.8*1.8*1.8*(spelldamage+elementaldamage+lightingdamage) is ~= 1,17*(increased modifiers)

which means, that basicaly, even AFTER the 20% multiplier is applied, then the overall multiplier of a stage 4 incinerate is 117%, not 20%.

so if you can apply shock through "added lighting" on whatever spell you are using like FP and etc, then with maxxed out incinerate it is easier. That is without counting the fact that with FP you will be using as a defacto either LMP or GMP, whereas the huge base damage potential of incinerate doesn't need it, and lmp/gmp makes it even harder for such spells to actually apply the effects.

what i know for a fact, is that with added cold and blind, your survivability against whatever uses attacks skyrockets even without using frostbite curse.

my only current gripe with incinerate is that it needs a lot of links to be usuable compared to other spells. it should at least have a bit better quality bonus, making it at least 3% (to be equal to FP) or imo 4% because it is much thinner than fp.

"
Upon further usage, the skill isn't as bad as I first thought. You can stop firing for a split second and still maintain your stage, which is quite useful. This is good for three things: You can maintain your stage after being stunned if your stun/block recovery is high enough. You can let go of the attack key and immediately re-engage to lock or unlock a target (like to see their health bar). You can manually reduce the casting speed of the skill by click, click, clicking to cast instead of holding the button, though you'll have to make sure you don't wait too long between flames otherwise you'll lose the stage.

Wow lots of pages to read.. I landed here and saw this for now though.

How much stun recovery do we need to keep spamming incinerate? I only have 23% right now, but I am working on trying to upgrade my gear and I feel like I had 48/53% with some other piece of armor I was using before.

That seems wrong that we can cast it faster by manually clicking faster.
"
shroudb wrote:
Spoiler
"
Draftbeer wrote:
^

0,2*1.8*1.8*1.8*(spelldamage+elementaldamage+lightingdamage) is ~= 1,17*(increased modifiers)

which means, that basicaly, even AFTER the 20% multiplier is applied, then the overall multiplier of a stage 4 incinerate is 117%, not 20%.

so if you can apply shock through "added lighting" on whatever spell you are using like FP and etc, then with maxxed out incinerate it is easier. That is without counting the fact that with FP you will be using as a defacto either LMP or GMP, whereas the huge base damage potential of incinerate doesn't need it, and lmp/gmp makes it even harder for such spells to actually apply the effects.

what i know for a fact, is that with added cold and blind, your survivability against whatever uses attacks skyrockets even without using frostbite curse.

my only current gripe with incinerate is that it needs a lot of links to be usuable compared to other spells. it should at least have a bit better quality bonus, making it at least 3% (to be equal to FP) or imo 4% because it is much thinner than fp.

So, are you saying that it can actually freeze mobs with added cold and frostbite?
IGN.: Space_Walrus, Wraeclast_Hobo, Draftbeer, Burnoloid
"
Draftbeer wrote:
"
shroudb wrote:
Spoiler
"
Draftbeer wrote:
^

So, are you saying that it can actually freeze mobs with added cold and frostbite?

i don't actually use frostbite, i tried it though with a leveled added cold for the chill and it chills. i am guessing it will freeze normal mobs just fine with frostbite, but i doubt that it will freeze rares/bosses. i stop using it though due to mana cost issues when i link cold damage with it (i dont currently run mana leech on it, with blind-rarity-faster proj i can sustain it indeffinatly)
"
Draftbeer wrote:
^
I'm not convinced that the amount of lightning damage in stage 4
can actually trigger shock stacks, at least not with full party and
on endgame maps. Chance to shock is one thing but the lightning damage
must be >= 1% of the mob's maximum hp to trigger something.

I'm pretty sure that the number of players doesn't matter for stun/shock/freeze/etc. Monsters have some sort of basic, 1-player HP count which is used for all these things, even when in a party. I'm not saying added elements works or now, because I don't know, but it isn't going to be harder in parties.

One of my characters is, as far as I know, the only high level witch build using Malachai's Simula (give blood magic, +100% skill cost and about +30% each to spell/lightning damage). After passives, skills cost her * 1.58 before all mana cost multipliers. I have static blows and the other 10% chance node right after it.

I tested with these gems:

My listed DPS was only 293 and incinerate only level 8, but I was leeching about enough to keep me even. Monsters were definitely getting shocked with no curses even in a 6-man team, but they are short shocks.

I don't have any 5L with green slots to test. It still wasn't that great because no real AOE and having to stand in one place.
Last edited by Chypre on Mar 12, 2013, 5:13:28 PM
I tried out incinerate with LMP + knockback + faster projectiles. The effect is quite amazing, but I would say knockback is a must when using this skill to keep mobs off you while standing in one place.

Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
So I'm pretty bad at improvising the content of the video. Any particular runs you guys want me to do? I have clips here, but they kind of random lol.

The video I'm referring to in this post:
Spoiler
I was looking forward to this patch since I first heard of it. I had pretty high hopes that it'd be a pretty epic spell and that my 5L searing touch was well worth the cost. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I wasn't going to give up yet.

Here is my current build: click me! I know incinerate cannot crit; the crit chance and damage nodes are for other skills.

Here is my current gear and gem set up:
Spoiler

Main Weapons

Swap
Can't link my swap, but a 100% increased spell damage wand and a 300 armour 200 es 40% to all res shield, which I have Fireball + Fire Pen + Ele Proliferation (not ideal, just leveling them up)

Flasks

I'll record and upload a video and edit it into this post later tonight (maybe tomorrow, depending on how my internet feels about uploading lol). If you want to see the spec in a specific scenario, send me a PM or something.

My Stats

My in town defenses

My defenses with auras up

My offense tab for incinerate, if anyone was curious. I can add in my other spells if you guys want to see them.

My thoughts so far are that it's a pretty fun skill to use, but the gear requirement is massive. You pretty much need a 5L because you need Life Leech, Mana Leech, Greater/Lesser Multiple Projectiles, and Faster Projectiles. Without Faster Projectiles (or quality on the gem), the skill lacks the range it needs. Even then, you need Fire Penetration for those pesky fire resist mobs that also have curse immunity. Because of the low projectile speed, Eye of Chayula is a must; even with all the leech this skill gives you, you'll die if you are stunned and cannot keep up your incinerate skill. It can be argued that being stunned can kill you for a lot of builds, this skill has such small range (without increased projectile speed) that it is even more vulnerable to dying from being stunned.

About the gem itself: why is the quality bonus kinda weak? Why doesn't it get as much projectile speed increase as Freezing Pulse? The whole spec/skill seems like an inefficient version of Freezing Pulse. The damage at step 4 is more than enough; with my life leech gem I hit the leech rate maximum (without quality). Step 1 damage is kind of lacking. It'd be ideal to keep step 4 damage the same, but bring the other damage steps up.

I'll be explaining a little more in my video about skill choices, flask choices (and usage), and how I play this spec.

Let me know what you guys think.
HowCouldThisHappenToMee (Hardcore Talisman)
Knockback Incinerate seems to be quite prone to desyncs.
"
Knockback Incinerate seems to be quite prone to desyncs.
thats not desync and that is entirely on knockback's fault (rapid hits from anything works same). thought they fixed knockback pushing mobs through walls... oh well

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info