Betrayal as a Core Game Mechanic

I am putting my 2c in here for what it's worth, because I am not the biggest fan of Betrayal for a couple of reasons.

- I have a decent computer and it's still a significant drop in frame-rates when around a Fortification due to constant spawns of minions and necros as well as projectiles they cast flying around. The fights usually go a couple of ways, very easily face tanking, kiting around the fortification or avoiding the thing entirely, not the idea of a core game mechanic in my opinion.

- It was look up the `best reward path` instead of being easily understood, in terms of how it will affect you later into the stages of your alliances/executioner/investigation. Personally, I would rather have POE be something where there shouldn't be a `best way to play`.

- The crafting isn't very intuitive either, I have no idea what the next tier is without looking it up, which means going out of the game. The next tier could tell me if an veiled mod was worth getting or not.

- I don't like having to be required to do something as a part of my normal play through in a campaign. I think it could be interesting as a side activity such as Delve / mapping, but have a hard time seeing it as part of the core.
"
carkasjak wrote:
Veiled mods are an absolutely atrocious concept and definitely should be scrapped in favor of just putting the recipes in the world.

Very much this!! Thousands of unveilings and still only got one really good craft. Betrayal sucked.
That, that is, is. That, that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.
betrayal is amazing

salty kids comin out the woodworks to complain because their full white item build couldnt survive syndicate
So WHY do you nerf all the scarabs' effectiveness, knowing that the encounter is far less compare to 3.5?

40% chance occupying a master = 8% chance being syndicates.
3 encounters with transportation/ fortification being useless, we're talking about a 16% chance of building a profitable safehouse compare to 100% back in this league = 1/6 of the spawn rate of profitable syndicates comparing to this league = 1/6 amount of scarabs compare to 3.5
Knowing this, you still decide to nerf Scarab heavily, despite it may take ages to even build one safehouse?

Delve Scarab, Divination Scarab, and Cartography scarab doesn't need a nerf.
It'd become much scarcer because the supply would be much lower, balancing out its effectiveness vs value.

If you are going to do that, how about fix Niko and make him guaranteed spawning 3 nodes to compensate the nerf? Do you really don't want us to delve too much at all cost? You nerf Scarab by 100%, on top of fewer scarab due to lower Syndicate encounter rates, making Delving even harder than before.

Also are you really that out of touch with playerbase?
Do you know how much Unveil I did on bridge in this league, yet still unable to unlock certain unveil mods like Non Chaos as Chaos + spell damage lv4?
That's like 1000+ unveil and no fully upgraded Non-chaos as chaos + spell damage lv4 at near end of the league, and I play this league non stop everyday too.
This is how tough to unlock some crafting options this league with 100% syndicates encounter rate and weeks of pointless bridge farming, yet you want to make it far harder than it already is?

Do you really want your lame crafting system to be even more impossible than before, and we ended up have to trust other people to craft for us in fear of being scammed? Back in pre 3.4, it takes around 4 days to train all masters to lv7 through rotations, and unlock EVERYTHING on spot.

Now it takes 3 months and I'm still unable to unlock everything with 100% syndicate spawn rate. Don't you think that this unlocking system is already fucked up on its own, yet you want to make it far harder? Like really?
Last edited by mic01851165 on Feb 21, 2019, 11:44:37 PM
So you've made it that betrayal now has 3 guarenteed "events" per map that it triggers on, and you've nerfed sulphite scarabs 60-70%... Does that mean we will see guarenteed 3 sulphite nodes on maps that it hits, or are we just saying fuck delve now?
$.02

Shuffling the board means I won't want to ever run the mastermind. If I want to target farm Scarabs, and the ability to guarantee Niko is the master int he map is valuable enough to do that, then it'll be the same strategy and I'll never want those members out of intervention. It's still the easiest way to get sulphite to go delving.

Delving, and sulphite, are too appealing to not prioritize if the build can at all handle it.
"
sydds wrote:
- It was look up the `best reward path` instead of being easily understood, in terms of how it will affect you later into the stages of your alliances/executioner/investigation. Personally, I would rather have POE be something where there shouldn't be a `best way to play`.

Very much this, and there are two problems here:

1. The rewards are extremely unbalanced. Nerfing the obvious most-desirable rewards does not make the shit rewards any less shit.

2. The rewards you will get according to which member is in which safehouse are not at all untuitive; nor is there a way to check in-game.

Because of the combination of these two problems, it is absolutely necessary that you alt-tab out of the game to look at a chart; not just once or twice to get the hang of the system, but frequently, and sometimes WHILE you are in a dangerous area (unless you portal out).

Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can defend this as good game design.

You really should have shelved Betrayal for a league while you fixed the unintuitive UI and lack of in-game information.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
raptorcardz wrote:
Looks like I won't be getting 100 ever again.

most people don't
i realy like betryal league, and i hope new league wont have darknes fokus like delve..
we don't want it
Twitter.com/Ecdub984
Youtube.com/Ecdub984
Twitch.tv/Ecdubs

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info