[3.5] CheeQu's CoC Ice Nova Assassin - Up to 7m Shaper DPS + Amazing Clearspeed [In-Depth Guide]

"
"
Hohenheim_ wrote:
"
Ok, so far i just have a quick question on how to actually play the build.

While im Cycloning, when should i be using vortex? How exactly do they work together and and whats the best way to do that?

You can just press you Vortex hotkey every few seconds while using Cyclone, as it is an instant skill and won't stop you from spinning.

They work together because, depending on your set-up, Vortex will increase the cold damage taken by enemies chilled by the Vortex, increasing your Ice Nova damage, and also possibly keep Arcane Surge up if you have it 4-linked.

Is there an optimal time to use it with my for my orbs or just whenever its up? I noticed it caused them to explode into the aoe ground stuff so i wasnt sure if i should just hit it when its up or save it for a specific shot

Not really, just try to get a Vortex underneath the thing you are killing. For Delves and stuff I normally just spam it because it looks hilarious and hits pretty much everything in tight corridors.
This build is amazing, i managed only to do big switch at level 44 and clearing speed and DPS is astonishing. Cant wait to unleash it's fully potential.

Question, i have 5L loreweave, how much DPS will i loose without 6l?
"
Hohenheim_ wrote:
Or aim for a little under 7.57 APS if you aren't using Cyclone.

Curious - have you frame-by-frame tested that?

Because the old math linked in the OP is outdated, and more recent testing seems to suggest Blade Flurry should actually cap out at <7.5 APS (APS is per 30 ticks [33ms], not really per second)?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ab2g9n/updated_cyclone_coc_discharge_proc_rate_now_with/
Last edited by vector84 on Jan 15, 2019, 3:42:04 AM
"
vector84 wrote:
"
Hohenheim_ wrote:
Or aim for a little under 7.57 APS if you aren't using Cyclone.

Curious - have you frame-by-frame tested that?

Because the old math linked in the OP is outdated, and more recent testing seems to suggest Blade Flurry should actually cap out at <7.5 APS (APS is per 30 ticks [33ms], not really per second)?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ab2g9n/updated_cyclone_coc_discharge_proc_rate_now_with/

I haven't, but I'm not sure what you are getting at. Both your post and mine suggest that you should aim for around 7.5 APS (a little under 7.57 would be around 7.5).

That thread you linked doesn't really state anything that wasn't previously known. Once the author was told about server tick rates they rewrote the whole thing to pretty much say what this one already said two weeks prior:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/a1e0o1/psa_cooldown_and_aps_thresholds_for_new_coc_and/

But yeah, you want to aim for 7.5 APS, which becomes a little gear intensive (gloves, jewels, more tree passives, blood rage & frenzy charges always topped up etc.). I found that to be burdensome so I decided to practice the Cyclone play style to get accustomed to/overcome to drawbacks.
The key insight is that APS shown in-game and in PoB is per 30 ticks of 33ms (990ms != 1000ms).

The post I linked also contains some details about tighter tolerance testing that suggest that issue and not a rounding error or a latency issue is why results near the expected breakpoints (within ~1%) aren't consistent when expecting APS to actually be per second.
Last edited by vector84 on Jan 15, 2019, 4:13:45 AM
"
vector84 wrote:
The key insight is that APS shown in-game and in PoB is per 30 ticks of 33ms (990ms != 1000ms).

The post I linked also contains some details about tighter tolerance testing that suggest that issue and not a rounding error or a latency issue is why results near the expected breakpoints (within ~1%) aren't consistent when expecting APS to actually be per second.

The insight to me, seems to just be a theory he is testing. Interestingly it is disputed a number of times in that thread.

I see no reason why the in-game APS shown would be calculated based of off server ticks and not the information readily available to the player, it's not intuitive. And from my testing (hours of playing around with attack speed on this character and others), the APS in the character screen seems to be a rounded figure.

Testing with 3.73ApS and 14%+ ICRS, I Discharged every single hit. Testing with 3.77ApS, I skipped some Discharges. Testing with 3.44ApS and 0% ICRS, I skipped some Discharges too. This specific test is what led me to my theory about ApS being per 30 ticks instead.

That observation may have lead him to think what he thinks, but he could not account for all outside factors that might influence the tests. To me, reading that without the last sentence would also suggest simply that we need to aim for our APS to be lower than 3.785 by a large enough margin to ensure latency/ping/lag/whatever has as minimal effect as possible.

I dunno, just my thoughts. 3.75 APS is working perfectly for me. I'd test it more, but I get carried away watching the CoC cooldown trigger and end up getting slapped to death by mino or something.
"
Hohenheim_ wrote:
The insight to me, seems to just be a theory he is testing. Interestingly it is disputed a number of times in that thread.

Oops, I did indeed missed the further reading that follows explaining that 30/33 is probably not the right answer... but that bit also goes on to explain why 3.75 works perfectly:
"
It makes a lot of sense that your attacks are also bound to a specific tick, meaning that to get smooth constant Discharges you need an attack rate that cleanly divides 30. 30/3.75 is 8, so you are attacking every 8 ticks. If you instead increase your attack rate slightly, to say 3.77, you are now sometimes attacking on the 7th tick and are hitting before the CoC cooldown, so you skip a Discharge.
Hey,
I shuffled between posts but i ddnt see any, did any of you tried lowlife ci?
Crazy guide, very very good attention to detail

-While i haven't tried it yet this is something i would highly recommend, Good job bro!

Looking forward to trying the CoC meta once again -just one question, what would the ideal corruptions be on the LoreWeave? +1 to gems, or is there any way i could make this work? Does Vaal ice nova have a duration tag?

Also, i could maybe make a video guide of this on my channel, showcasing your build if you are interested, as i dont see a video guide here on the forum post :)

You will ofc get all the credit man, as you deserve
I make mirror tier items, I don't rlly play the actual game. Reddit hates me. I'm not cool.
Last edited by TheAmigoBoyz on Jan 15, 2019, 5:31:04 AM
"
TwisterOrg wrote:
Hey,
I shuffled between posts but i ddnt see any, did any of you tried lowlife ci?

I'm playing a CI variant. The benefit (of my particular way of running this as CI at least) is pretty much no gear competition (on some slots at least, ES may be popular this league, but Accuracy based ES is not at all). The downside is... pretty much everything else, less defense and less offense with decent gear.
Last edited by vector84 on Jan 15, 2019, 5:45:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info