Puncture

According to this post here any melee damage increases do not apply to puncture's bleed.

"
Melee damage is implicitly attack damage, so damage over time is not affected (damage over time is neither attack damage nor spell damage). Also, projectile and melee are mutually exclusive.

Crown of Eyes specifically mentions attack damage which means it also won't apply to the bleed.
"
Zoid wrote:
According to this post here any melee damage increases do not apply to puncture's bleed.

"
Melee damage is implicitly attack damage, so damage over time is not affected (damage over time is neither attack damage nor spell damage). Also, projectile and melee are mutually exclusive.

Crown of Eyes specifically mentions attack damage which means it also won't apply to the bleed.

ty
"
Melee damage is implicitly attack damage, so damage over time is not affected (damage over time is neither attack damage nor spell damage).

Here are the Passive Tree nodes I'm interested in using with Puncture:

% Increased Physical Damage with One-Handed Melee Weapons
% Increased Physical Damage with Two-Handed Melee Weapons
% Increased Physical Damage with Swords
% Increased Physical Damage with Daggers
% Increased Physical Damage with Claws

Since these nodes increase "Physical Damage" rather than "Melee Physical Damage", they increase the "base damage" of Spectral Throw, which is calculated as 60% of the melee weapon's physical damage + aura damage.

With Puncture, these nodes increase the melee weapon's Physical Damage, which inflicts the "Physical Damage Dealt" that is used to calculate the standing and running DoT base damage rates. I don't expect these nodes to also increase the DoT damage rates, since they only increase the Physical Damage that is dealt by specific types of melee weapons.

The wording of the following node also sounds like it only increases the "Physical Damage Dealt" (since Puncture's DoT damage is not "Weapon Damage"):

% Increased Physical Weapon Damage while Dual-Wielding

Last edited by RogueMage on Feb 4, 2014, 8:23:13 PM
is it safe to assume that the x% MORE damage multiplier from vulnerability applies to both the initial hit and the bleed? i know it would if it were an outgoing damage calculation, but it's an ingoing damage calculation. JW cause it seems like a crazy amount of damage added for a curse. it would actually make vulnerability far more effective than crit weakness even for a crit-based build, except at really absurd crit multiplier values.
I have encountered a strange bug with puncture. When attempting to down a rare fellshrine zombie, the zombie would take damage from the initial hit but the bleed (while visibly spraying blood everywhere) would not degen the zombie's health.

Video here:
Spoiler
http://www.twitch.tv/plajje/c/3930094

You can see several times a large hit is applied to the rare zombie, enough to degen the entire hp pool for the length of time it continues walking, but the bleed doesn't seem to work.

I have never seen this bug before, but it was very repeatable against this particular enemy (and prevented me from opening the lockbox sadly). I portalled to and from town several times and the bleed never worked.

The links are as seen in this item:

Puncture + melee physical damage + increased duration + increased critical damage.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Mar 22, 2014, 1:28:51 AM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

Video here:
Spoiler
weird, it DOES have leeching and soul eater enhances that. but it didn't hit you or anything else so it can't be regening from overloaded leeching...

i can't tell but, you ARE dealing damage to it so it has to die eventually, even if not by the degen. was worried the soul eater was over-buffing its defense but that wasn't the case it seems?
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

Video here:
Spoiler
weird, it DOES have leeching and soul eater enhances that. but it didn't hit you or anything else so it can't be regening from overloaded leeching...

i can't tell but, you ARE dealing damage to it so it has to die eventually, even if not by the degen. was worried the soul eater was over-buffing its defense but that wasn't the case it seems?

Soul eater has an animation when he takes a corpse for life, and a couple of those bleeds were probably fatal given that he is moving the whole time.

Never seen this before or again since, but tried at least 100 times on this guy. :o Very strange bug.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Mar 22, 2014, 5:16:50 AM
well i had only two soul eater mobs in my playthroughs. the first one was a siren summoner (squid that makes more squid) that was ALSO a normal summoner... ontop of its soul eater. it went without saying that i couldn't kill that one, but interestingly it killed any corpse it found for its soul eater property regardless of it was damaged or not.

again, not the problem you had but definitely strange.
So I am creating a puncture based shadow, claw and spiked shield, I would like to understand just what I am getting into before I start wasting points on the passive tree.

Say I do 100 points of physical damage to a zombie with the initial hit with puncture, then 50% of that will be damage over time for the next 5 seconds. For a total of 150 points of damage.

So if I increase my claw damage to add 10 more point of damage the same zombie will take 110 in the initial hit and 55 as DoT for the next 5 seconds for a total of 165.

Is this correct?

Conclusion, create a character that has a HUGE first hit, then run away and watch them die.

A thought for skill links: Puncture + Melee Splash + Chance to Flee + Concentrated Effect + Increase Critical Chance + Critical Damage

Also, what is the effect of added chaos damage nodes on Puncture?

Does Leech Life apply to the Damage over Time or just to the initial hit?
Last edited by grimjacked on Apr 10, 2014, 11:56:36 AM
"
grimjacked wrote:
Is this correct?

Also, what is the effect of added chaos damage nodes on Puncture?

Does Leech Life apply to the Damage over Time or just to the initial hit?

so far, yes.
bleed is not chaos damage, it is still physical so you'll need DoT passives not chaos passives.
only initial hit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info