Puncture

Mod on the weapon? no
Mod from passives specific to bows? afaik no
Projectile damage? yes

Well technically they all affect puncture damage since they all affect the initial hit where the DoT component bases it's damage from but i'm guessing you're asking if it affects the DoT specifically
Cuddles' DoT trapper build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/683322
Hi, I was wondering about making a melee puncturer.

My question is as follows:

¿Will melee physical damage passive nodes affect the damage twice? (I think it does becouse it doesn't state it as physical "attack" damage)
IGN: PipeBender
"
Things that will directly affect bleed damage from Puncture (off the top of my head):
  • Damage modifiers
  • Damage over time modifiers
  • Physical damage modifiers
  • Projectile damage modifiers (if applied with a projectile)
  • Area damage modifiers (if applied with an AoE)
  • Totem damage modifiers (if applied with a totem)
  • Trap damage modifiers (if applied with a trap)
  • Mine damage modifiers (if applied with a mine)

If increase in projectile damage affects the bleed damage then how does it work with point blank?
The initial hit will be boosted by 50% more damage if the target is close, but then will the bleeding damage be boosted again by 50% even more damage? Hence double dip?
"
VulpesInculta wrote:
"
Things that will directly affect bleed damage from Puncture (off the top of my head):
  • Damage modifiers
  • Damage over time modifiers
  • Physical damage modifiers
  • Projectile damage modifiers (if applied with a projectile)
  • Area damage modifiers (if applied with an AoE)
  • Totem damage modifiers (if applied with a totem)
  • Trap damage modifiers (if applied with a trap)
  • Mine damage modifiers (if applied with a mine)

If increase in projectile damage affects the bleed damage then how does it work with point blank?
The initial hit will be boosted by 50% more damage if the target is close, but then will the bleeding damage be boosted again by 50% even more damage? Hence double dip?

I guess it doesn't do a double effect becouse the point blank passive (or gem) clearly states that it only affects projectile ATTACKS, and dot isnt an attack or spell.
"
peilord wrote:
Hi, I was wondering about making a melee puncturer.

My question is as follows:

¿Will melee physical damage passive nodes affect the damage twice? (I think it does becouse it doesn't state it as physical "attack" damage)

Melee damage applies to attacks only, i think, and bleed isnt an attack. Otherwise, Melee PHysical Damage and Melee Damage on Full Life gems would have double benefit on Puncture, too, which is much more notable than tiny "melee physical damage" nodes.

IF you want to try melee punctures, Bino's Kitchen Knife is probably your weapon of choice. Or dagger like this -
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Such sickness of a weapon... wow.

I was actually thinking a weird build involving swords, becouse I like swords, that's all.

Also my question isn't fully answered becouse I already knew the wording in those two gems, which are obviously not affecting both the initial damage and the bleed itself. Thing is, the wording in the melee physical damage passive nodes of the tree doesn't have any (attack) in them, and as this game is so literal in its mechanics, I was wondering if it worked like projectiles do, since it's melee and it's physical damage.

Thanks for the answer anyways, would love a more throughtfull aproach if it was posible, and I may go and try to test it myself even if it's a bit hard to say.
"
peilord wrote:
Such sickness of a weapon... wow.

I was actually thinking a weird build involving swords, becouse I like swords, that's all.

Also my question isn't fully answered becouse I already knew the wording in those two gems, which are obviously not affecting both the initial damage and the bleed itself. Thing is, the wording in the melee physical damage passive nodes of the tree doesn't have any (attack) in them, and as this game is so literal in its mechanics, I was wondering if it worked like projectiles do, since it's melee and it's physical damage.

Thanks for the answer anyways, would love a more throughtfull aproach if it was posible, and I may go and try to test it myself even if it's a bit hard to say.

If only the bleeding damage was updated accurately, right?
Looks like Puncture got an indirect nerf for those that were using Increased Duration gem. Went from like 10.2 to 9.35 seconds.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

puncture counts as a debuff/buff, so those passive nodes work along side the skill duration nodes. 20 seconds is a bit funny =p even after the slight "nerf", which was a slight rearranging of durations for other skills.
ok so i think i understand how the skill works but id like to make sure. i did some testing to verify that certain kinds of damage increases can double dip on both the initial hit and the bleed effect, and it did seem to work that way. but there's some conflicting information from different people about how this works. do we all agree that this is correct?

double dip effects:
generic damage increase
generic physical damage increase
projectile damage (when used with bow)
aoe damage (when applied as aoe)
totem/trap/mine (when... well duh)
LESS damage multipliers (like LMP/GMP/totem)

affects initial hit only:
weapon-specific damage

affects bleed only:
increased damage over time

now what about melee damage? it seems like that would be the melee equivalent of projectile damage, so it would double dip, but mark didn't mention it in his post (although he did just say "off the top of his head"). and i guess the increased melee damage from strength is the same thing as generic melee damage?

and then what about one-handed melee damage? it sounds like it's just a subset of increased melee damage, but it's a bit closer to a weapon-specific increase than generic melee damage, so i can't be 100% sure.

and what about spell damage with crown of eyes? that's just converted to generic physical damage, so it double dips?
Last edited by Dryhumper on Feb 4, 2014, 12:00:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info