Bestiary as a Core Game Mechanic

"
Summoner wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping that even if the Menagerie was too much work to maintain, nets were too clunky a mechanism, and high end beast crafting too OP; we'd at least see the basic Beast mods around as another variation of extra hard rare mods like Nemesis or Invasion were.

I agree, Bestiary as it is now is actually very close to fitting in the core game smoothly. I would suggest making it a second end game, and cutting out 90% of the recipes ("create a random XXX rare"), would make the whole thing seem less intrusive.

Einhar could show up after Kitava, and give you the option of going elsewhere.
I'm in disbelief that you just scrapped what you worked hard on to make GGG; you even said it yourself, that you worked hard to make it. Bestiary was pretty much a whole expansion that heavily developed crafting while introducing new mechanics. While you're destroying the things you've worked so hard on, would you like to delete the atlas, lab and perhaps essences too? Bestiary was literally an optional part of the game! The people that hated it didn't even need to interact with it!

I hope you reconsider this GGG. :(
WONDERFUL news! this shit is dead and gone! There were soem boring leagues befre but this is the first I utterly hatedtill the end.. The mechanics of simpy looking for an opponent's hp when to throw a net while it spawns monsters and in teh end you stand in the middle of a legion is just plain stupid. The rewards the crafts were mostly bad - the recipe book could have been cut down to about 5-10 recipes the rest was useless even for level 1s. It is just a bad league with a bd base idea which has nothing to do in a game like this. I am really damn glad it is not going to be core.
Last edited by Eshu on May 8, 2018, 12:16:00 AM
Players need to keep in mind what happens to leagues that get incorporated into the base game:

GGG has to retune them to fit, I.E. change spawn rates, modify items, set up Zana functionality, etc.

How do you possibly do that with a Bestiary?
Players are acting like the system was just going to go core As Is, when that has never happened.

Yellow / Red beasts would be super rare ( think 10% chance for Breach / Abyss / Essence / etc. compared to when it was League ).

What are they going to do with nets? Reduce the drop rates / condense them down to a few types?

What about the leveling crafts and such? Pretty pointless to have them as is if being able to actually craft them is reduced. So then they have to retool the entire Bestcraft mechanic.

And then Zana ...how does that work? 1 legendary and 1-2 Rares per map? Now players have to figure out spreadsheets for which maps to Zama mod for which bests, and son on. Way too clunky and convoluted compared to every other mod option.

Etc. , Etc.

Making Bestiary was a huge endeavor for GGG, but retuning it to make it function as core, like previous leagues, would be yet another huge endeavor that they just don't have the time or insight for before everything else they are doing for the next league / expansion.

As much as "wasting" content like Bestiary by dropping it from core might be disappointing and crazy ....It's probably only because it was so much work that they have to drop it. If they had made a much smaller design it would have been far easier for them to incorporate it into the core game. And gutting the current system to fit it in would alienate the entire thing, and make it something that players may hate worse.
Last edited by JoeShmo on May 8, 2018, 12:31:05 AM
I would like to see Bestiary return in a simpler format. You guys just made it too time-consuming to want to invest in finding beasts and what they are used for. I enjoyed the mechanic when it was fine-tuned, but it was just too much for people with jobs. I would have loved to have hunted down beasts for recipes to make cool stuff and a chance at something incredible. Just too much reading and figuring out for an average player to warrant the time sink.

If you want players to enjoy the game more please make it so we can focus on the fun, not on stuff like trading and learning systems that could be explained with a decent UI.

OMG I can feel a trading rant coming.

Why am I forced to have to: leave maps and burn portals for players that want 1c items and then try to haggle after, try for hours to get currency changed so I can craft or get what I need to map, deal with idiots who can't find the right map with the stats you want(if I want a quality map I don't want a blue one with shit mods I have to scour), dealing with players who don't know who invited them and go to random hideouts trying to trade, players who buy items from you and then want a refund because they can't equip the item(iLvl etc.), messaging someone for hours to get that one item that has enough Dex on it so you can play your build only to find they logoff without checking whispers, trying to buy items off of sellers who don't reply even though they can be seen mapping and returning to hideouts, players who try to give you currency you don't want without asking first .... there's too many to list, I'll stop now.

Please give us an item shop instance to sell stuff and buyers have a restrictive number of trades per hour to prevent mass buyouts and price fixing etc. Make it available when sellers are offline. Make it as simple as click the item and it takes the currency from your inventory. Try it for a 3-week race as a test.

Just think of the player retention.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
100% Ethical, most of the time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Last edited by Vaydra on May 8, 2018, 12:31:07 AM
Really hope u guys keep this around I would love to have some more of the cool patterns.
"
JoeShmo wrote:
Players need to keep in mind what happens to leagues that get incorporated into the base game:

GGG has to retune them to fit, I.E. change spawn rates, modify items, set up Zana functionality, etc.

How do you possibly do that with a Bestiary?
Players are acting like the system was just going to go core As Is, when that has never happened.

Yellow / Red beasts would be super rare ( think 10% chance for Breach / Abyss / Essence / etc. compared to when it was League ).

What are they going to do with nets? Reduce the drop rates / condense them down to a few types?

What about the leveling crafts and such? Pretty pointless to have them as is if being able to actually craft them is reduced. So then they have to retool the entire Bestcraft mechanic.

And then Zana ...how does that work? 1 legendary and 1-2 Rares per map? Now players have to figure out spreadsheets for which maps to Zama mod for which bests, and son on. Way too clunky and convoluted compared to every other mod option.

Etc. , Etc.

Yep and even if they made it work I'd rather see that dev time used somewhere else. For example, the current power creep, map quantity, new league mechanics etc.
Last edited by Hanarae on May 8, 2018, 12:33:45 AM
Pls NO BESTIARY FOR CORE OF GAME ty
GUILD ZA BALKANSKE IGRAČE : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1227661
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

"Discord"Voice ( dođite na mikrofon - Link za automatski invite ) : https://discord.gg/Q54KWUH
yes bestiary never happen is the way to go what a mess...
Just like Legacy, it's sad that this won't make it to at least standard. It's what Standard needs. While I personally enjoy leagues, not everyone does, and for standard players it seems the game is getting stale.

I've had a friends who I've tried getting into Path of Exile during Legacy and they enjoyed the game but as people who don't have as much time to play, just cannot get into the idea of restarting every 3 months.

For such a person, going into standard from Legacy only to have it become a more bare bones version of the game for the next 6 months until the next league possibly enters standard, often ends up putting them off from the game completely.

Just like the old HC vs SC argument, having more players in leagues and less in standard shouldn't be a sign of success, given the falloff of players less popular leagues. Instead shouldn't it be about the total number of players playing the game at once?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info