[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

Try this in small cluster jewel it's pretty strong.
I actually found an interesting way to save some redundant and not very useful travel nodes on the tree. Some players use Thread of Hope unique jewel with medium sized mod. When it is socketed to the jewel socket next to Golem's blood, these nodes can be allocated without being connected to the tree:

- Fury bolts + Bravery: (no need to travel through projectile nodes which don't do anything for us, but we lose 10% life
and some strength)

More interestingly, it is possible to also allocate Discipline of the Unyielding and Discipline of the Slaughter which grant us 5% chance to gain both endurance and frenzy charges on kill, plus additional damage per each charge. This way we do not need to aim for frenzy charge generation from gloves and endurance charges will be also helpful in delirium. Please note that this is more of a late game variant for characters with enough strength on gear and also high ele resistances, because the mentioned jewel does reduce ele resistances by -10%.

Anyways, maybe some people from this thread already use this but I wanted to sort of explain it to people who have not heard about this yet.

Let me know what you guys think, I am especially interested to see if someone tried this already.

EDIT: Actually those two 5% life nodes next to Bravery can also stay allocated as they are within the circle I think? If it worked that way it would be even better. I will test this 100%

Image:

Last edited by drobecdrobny on Apr 3, 2020, 11:33:36 PM
Okay so today I bought the jewel mentioned above andI tried the allocation for endurance and frenzy charges and I must say its fcking amazing QoL in maps. I have 3 frenzies and 3 endurance charges constantly. Plus about the downside of taking 10% of our ele resists, if you have Survivalist node allocated as the guides tree suggest you to, you get 8% back anyways so it is pretty much a no brainer. I suggest everyone who can get their hands on the jewel to try this out!
Last edited by drobecdrobny on Apr 4, 2020, 11:42:17 AM
@drobecdrobny

Yes, I saw this combo last season, not sure if in this thread or some toxic rain guide, the biggest issue I see is the duelist area is the first to be cut when investing in cluster jewels, and I goddamn love them, I'm swapping them around probably more than it's reasonable. :P

For example I was testing Enduring Composure for endurance charge generation, but I'm playing a pathfinder, on raider it's probably much weaker because you actually want to protect yourself from the first hit, and this only protects you from consecutive ones, will do nothing against true 1-shot.

Btw did you try aspect of the crab? You mentioned it few posts ago.

Is it good this season? Because I remember Danka saying something about Kintsugi being not as strong this season because we are getting hit more than before, so the same issue would apply to aspect of the crab, it's only effective when you're hit infrequently.

Also debating whether aspect of the spider is more useful than crab, a lot of chaos builds are running that one, since it both slows mobs and increases your damage on slowed mobs, from what I remember.
"
Viktranka wrote:
@drobecdrobny

Yes, I saw this combo last season, not sure if in this thread or some toxic rain guide, the biggest issue I see is the duelist area is the first to be cut when investing in cluster jewels, and I goddamn love them, I'm swapping them around probably more than it's reasonable. :P

For example I was testing Enduring Composure for endurance charge generation, but I'm playing a pathfinder, on raider it's probably much weaker because you actually want to protect yourself from the first hit, and this only protects you from consecutive ones, will do nothing against true 1-shot.

Is it good this season? Because I remember Danka saying something about Kintsugi being not as strong this season because we are getting hit more than before, so the same issue would apply to aspect of the crab, it's only effective when you're hit infrequently.

Also debating whether aspect of the spider is more useful than crab, a lot of chaos builds are running that one, since it both slows mobs and increases your damage on slowed mobs, from what I remember.

Yes I am running aspect of the crab now and I think it is pretty good because with your flasks up + actively using dash in maps we still dont get hit as much. Also, the charges from the crab go from zero to max in almost no time so it is not like you have to wait long time to refresh the dmg reduction. But yes, now that I managed to get my endurace charges generation on the tree, I am going to try aspect of the spider because I can see it being very useful for the reasons you already mentioned. However, I am also using touch of cruelty notable so I dont know if the additional hinder from aspect of the spider wont be an overkill. Will see.

About the chest, I also saw someone running daressos defiance, a bit strange but when I checked it it does not seem like a bad choice and it also gives a possibility to generate frenzies.

Why did you decide for a Pathfinder?

EDIT:
I checked the notable you mentioned, enduring composure - I think it is not as effective. You spend points on armour just to get to that generation of endurance charges. What I like about the thread of hope technique is that you get your generation effectively, save additional points, but still get those key notables from the duelist tree.
Last edited by drobecdrobny on Apr 4, 2020, 12:13:53 PM
"
drobecdrobny wrote:
But yes, now that I managed to get my endurace charges generation on the tree, I am going to try aspect of the spider because I can see it being very useful for the reasons you already mentioned. However, I am also using touch of cruelty notable so I dont know if the additional hinder from aspect of the spider wont be an overkill. Will see.

Tbh it could have positive synergy, the notable says "Enemies Hindered by you take 10% increased Chaos Damage" but they will be much more often hindered with aspect of the spider than when you rely on 10% chance from hits (caustic arrow degen doesn't count as hit from what I remember only initial arrow does), so the only question remains whether hindered by aspect counts as "hindered by you" I imagine it should as it's an aura on you, not a minion or anything like that?

"
drobecdrobny wrote:
Basically remaking my legion character that was toxic rain pathfinder, going with CA this season but haven't decided if I stick with it until the end or respec TR at some point.

2 reasons really, 1 is "chaos skills have 50% increased area of effect" passive which is nice counteraction to conc effect downside, second is the flask regen that doesn't rely on killing, so there's less chance I'd run out of flask charges during long boss fight. For life flasks that can be patched with Ryslatha's pantheon and / or Mender's Wellspring notable from a jewel, but it's much more forgiving in general for someone with bad flask management skills. :P
Any reason to corrupt my 6-link +3 bow? I just about have the currency for the +2 support now (and have another 6 link bow). I could try to double corrupt my old +3 now but I’m not sure if there are any reasonable mods. Im assuming +1 gems implicit is blocked by +1 gems already on the bow.
Level 96 18% DHC SSF rip - Tolman hurts

That was really unexpected. This is 100% my bad. Unlucky part is that spell dodge did not proc a single time at 51% (hit by spell recently + 6% extra from boots). Tolman spawned more corpses on me right after those 3 initial explosions, finishing me off. Steelskin was also down from previous explosion chain. Temp Chains curse was the only mod of this unid magic map. I also used health potion at the end.

While i do know what Tolman does and i am avoiding his explodey things, i was always lazy with it since they never did much damage, half HP at best. Well, i guess they do now... It was likely caused by high map tier when Mausoleum was always white/yellow. I simply did not adjust to it. You can be sure i will now.

Sound muted because i was talking to a friend during that time.

What i will do now? Not sure. Maybe reroll again. Maybe play some other game instead. Maybe focus on the next guide. There's one thing i know for sure is that next league i'm taking a break from SSF and wil return to trade league for those 3 months. Not that i don't enjoy SSF, i simply want to test the build while having more than 500k tooltip dps and update the video section properly.

"
drobecdrobny wrote:
Spoiler
I actually found an interesting way to save some redundant and not very useful travel nodes on the tree. Some players use Thread of Hope unique jewel with medium sized mod. When it is socketed to the jewel socket next to Golem's blood, these nodes can be allocated without being connected to the tree:

- Fury bolts + Bravery: (no need to travel through projectile nodes which don't do anything for us, but we lose 10% life
and some strength)

More interestingly, it is possible to also allocate Discipline of the Unyielding and Discipline of the Slaughter which grant us 5% chance to gain both endurance and frenzy charges on kill, plus additional damage per each charge. This way we do not need to aim for frenzy charge generation from gloves and endurance charges will be also helpful in delirium. Please note that this is more of a late game variant for characters with enough strength on gear and also high ele resistances, because the mentioned jewel does reduce ele resistances by -10%.

Anyways, maybe some people from this thread already use this but I wanted to sort of explain it to people who have not heard about this yet.

Let me know what you guys think, I am especially interested to see if someone tried this already.

EDIT: Actually those two 5% life nodes next to Bravery can also stay allocated as they are within the circle I think? If it worked that way it would be even better. I will test this 100%

Image:

"
drobecdrobny wrote:
Spoiler
Okay so today I bought the jewel mentioned above andI tried the allocation for endurance and frenzy charges and I must say its fcking amazing QoL in maps. I have 3 frenzies and 3 endurance charges constantly. Plus about the downside of taking 10% of our ele resists, if you have Survivalist node allocated as the guides tree suggest you to, you get 8% back anyways so it is pretty much a no brainer. I suggest everyone who can get their hands on the jewel to try this out!

It it really an upgrade? Keep in mind you do waste 2 passive points to get the jewel and also lose at least 30% res, so basically 1 extra passive point. Don't forget jewel sockets are also most efficient slots on the tree. You don't really gain much value out of it other than charge generation... With frenzy charge generation being more or less easily available through gloves and endurance charges through boots but it's much harder to get. What you could do instead is socket Lethal Pride legion jewel. It has significantly higher potential and also has 5% end charge generation as well, without socketing anything.

Let's not forget this is a beginner friendly guide, adding options will only confuse people like it did in the past (when the guide gave more options). Even if i wanted i can't add every possibility to the guide because of total 100k character limit (50k per post). That's a definite NO from me.

"
Viktranka wrote:
Spoiler
@drobecdrobny

"
drobecdrobny wrote:
Spoiler

Yes I am running aspect of the crab now and I think it is pretty good because with your flasks up + actively using dash in maps we still dont get hit as much. Also, the charges from the crab go from zero to max in almost no time so it is not like you have to wait long time to refresh the dmg reduction. But yes, now that I managed to get my endurace charges generation on the tree, I am going to try aspect of the spider because I can see it being very useful for the reasons you already mentioned. However, I am also using touch of cruelty notable so I dont know if the additional hinder from aspect of the spider wont be an overkill. Will see.

About the chest, I also saw someone running daressos defiance, a bit strange but when I checked it it does not seem like a bad choice and it also gives a possibility to generate frenzies.

EDIT:
I checked the notable you mentioned, enduring composure - I think it is not as effective. You spend points on armour just to get to that generation of endurance charges. What I like about the thread of hope technique is that you get your generation effectively, save additional points, but still get those key notables from the duelist tree.

Spider isn't very useful for chaos builds other than the slow. The damage increase is additive, meaning it's roughly ~7% more. Crab is absolutely BiS if you don't get hit, there's no excuse to not use it over Spider.

Crab aspect, unlike Kintsugi which is disabled by any hit damage for 4 seconds, is disabled only if you take physical damage from hit and it will keep recharging over time. It will always give you at least some mitigation. Anyway, Kintsugi is still very good against all content. After the nerfs to delirium monsters and mods being pack based it's decent even when you're fighting in the fog (but still suboptimal).

Reminder that only one slowing "hinder" effect can be applied to the monster. Wither, Touch of Cruelty notable and Aspect of the Spider, Blight / Vaal Blight all hinder enemies.

"
Viktranka wrote:
Spoiler
Basically remaking my legion character that was toxic rain pathfinder, going with CA this season but haven't decided if I stick with it until the end or respec TR at some point.

2 reasons really, 1 is "chaos skills have 50% increased area of effect" passive which is nice counteraction to conc effect downside, second is the flask regen that doesn't rely on killing, so there's less chance I'd run out of flask charges during long boss fight. For life flasks that can be patched with Ryslatha's pantheon and / or Mender's Wellspring notable from a jewel, but it's much more forgiving in general for someone with bad flask management skills. :P

One of the major reasons i settled on Raider back in 2.2 was to not rely on flasks during boss fight. It's still the case now, you simply don't need them. If you do, then it means the boss also has adds which refill your flasks anyway.

"
Amethalia wrote:
Spoiler
Any reason to corrupt my 6-link +3 bow? I just about have the currency for the +2 support now (and have another 6 link bow). I could try to double corrupt my old +3 now but I’m not sure if there are any reasonable mods. Im assuming +1 gems implicit is blocked by +1 gems already on the bow.

There's none, just sell it instead. +1 to all gems not available on weapons.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Last edited by DankawSL on Apr 5, 2020, 11:56:55 AM
Sorry about the rip, seems like a very unfortunate combination of things happened there.

About the jewel - I will try lethal pride, I am not very familiar with those. For now I still think this option is pretty good and T16 mapping is walk in the park with 3 frenzies and 3 endurance charges. Strong point of those passives is that it gives you minimum +1 to charges so you always have that little defensive boost on bosses as a plus even if its not at max. Anyways it is a good option until you get your hands on those gloves and boots, but I guess you can try it out next league when you switch to trade, its really not that bad if you dont have enough currency for gloves/boots yet.

For the res and jewel slot argument, my gear currently is very high on res because I am in trade league so I have this sorted out. About the jewel socket, yes, we lose one but still can have 4 more (2 instead of small cluster jewels and 2 on the tree). For how many travel nodes we save and how much we get in return I cannot see this as a con. Especially if you think about that we get 5% dmg per each charge and we maintain 6.

I just ran a deathless Simulacrum and I was especially keeping an eye for my Crab buff to see how it holds up against being constantly in the middle of the beefy packs. I must say it is actually very impressive and I agree its BiS for this build. Sometimes the buff would be up for as long as 20 seconds, that means we really dont get hit THAT often thanks to our evasion, in addition once you lose the stacks they are back at full in 4 seconds so its really VERY useful. I am not even going to try Spider after this run. As you mentioned, once the damage is enough to clear T16 without any problem, it is more useful to focus on small defensive layers to boost survivability and I 100% agree on this. Spider just got popular for damage because softcore.

Anyways, I was just sharing the idea to people who might be interested, no hard feelings. I did not want you to include it to the guide or anything, just sharing ideas. And thanks for that Lethal Pride recommendation, I am going to have a look at it.
Last edited by drobecdrobny on Apr 5, 2020, 4:13:12 PM
"
drobecdrobny wrote:
Spider just got popular for damage because softcore.
Yeah I understand the aim of the build here is to be focused on SSF HC environment, even though it's used by many softcore players too.

The more technical question I have is how do we exactly calculate the "real damage increase" value from various mods, so aspect of the spider is "5% increased Damage taken" per stack, stacks to 3, then wither totem is "6% increased Chaos Damage taken" stacks to 15, and if you were using Touch of Cruelty that's another mod "Enemies Hindered by you take 10% increased Chaos Damage", do they all add together? And for the sake of it, let's say you'd have an item with a mod "Shock nearby Enemies when you Focus", baseline shock is 15% is that also additive with the rest of those mods?

And are they multiplicative with -chaos resistance mods like hunter helmet / despair? Or are they additive too?

The point is that I'm trying to figure out what is better damage value, 30% increased chaos damage from Unwaveringly Evil, or 10% increased enemy damage taken from Touch of Cruelty (even if you don't use spider and you hinder them with wither totem), the guide recommends Unwaveringly Evil which I'm using myself too, I imagine the part "Chaos Skills ignore interruption from Stuns" is not very relevant because CA is not a channelling skill, so it's mostly because 30% increased chaos damage is stronger than alternatives.

Just wondering if I'm missing anything in this line of thinking, at 1st I thought Touch of Cruelty would be bad because "10% chance to Hinder on Hit" will basically never happen with a build that doesn't rely on "hitting" stuff and dots don't count as hit, but if wither totem is a reliable source of hinder then that part is already covered and we wouldn't have to rely on some low-proc-chance mod to get Hinder to be up.

TLDR: Is 30% increased damage dealt better than 10% increased damage taken or is there another factor I'm missing in the consideration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info