Path of Nerfs

Pretty sensible nerfs all around tbh. Glad to see DP and RF will not be the only build played now. And it isnt "Path of Berserkers" anymore. That's the change i like the most.
"
ActionFunk wrote:
RIP slayer :D

It got buffed overall lol.
"
"
ActionFunk wrote:
RIP slayer :D

It got buffed overall lol.

Did somebody say "Slayer"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg
All of these responses - 'RIP this', 'RIP that', 'Mark Rosewater etc.', 'No balnce = nerf everything' ..... all of you people need to have patience. This is not the patchnotes, just an explanation as to some of the 'nerfs'. Wait for the notes, the buffs, the new landscape of 3.1.0 and things will level out. There will always be some things that stick out, but it's a big game - vastly difficult to balance and maintain a vision for. Less hate and more trust.
"
Chris wrote:

Vaal Pact Keystone
Being able to leech instantly meant that many threats were completely mitigated by high-damage fast-hitting characters with minimal leech investment. Vaal Pact has been changed to no longer grant instant leech, but instead doubles your character's leech rate and maximum leech rate. This was one of the most heavily-requested nerfs in the history of Path of Exile.

The keystone is still powerful, but now really benefits from investment in leech.

The Slayer
The Brutal Fervour Ascendancy Skill no longer grants Maximum Life Leech Rate. Hematophagy and Vitality Void now only grant +3% to Maximum Life Leech Rate (from +5%).

As a result of the changes to Vaal pact, other sources of leech were also examined. Brutal Fervour was identified as a problem, moreso after the changes to Vaal Pact, as it was the next-closest thing to instant leech. We didn't want to change what made the Slayer the Slayer, but were okay with it taking a small hit, given its dominance over the 3.0.0 ladders.

"A small hit"? You just brought 23% additional max leech for Slayer down to 9% for ALL classes? THAT is a small hit? Of course Slayer was the next-closest thing to instant leech, that's the point of picking Slayer! Dominance over the 3.0.0 ladders? Now we won't even see Slayers on ladder. In fact now that I look at it, there is 100% no reason to pick Slayer now. Heavy investment in leech now grants nothing, because 0.2% of anyone's damage leeched will have the same effect as any form of "heavy investment".

Free melee splash? Grow up no one uses anything but Raider, EQ or Sunder without looking like an idiot. Stun? Stun what? With a melee weapon? We're expected to get that close to something with nerfs like this? Physical reflect? Who ever dies to physical reflect when every build converts their damage or uses chaos damage? We have Raider for onslaught and culling strike isn't worth picking a whole ascendancy for - so kiss Bane of Legends goodbye. 20% of overkill damage leeched as life means nothing if your damage and leech already hit cap by itself - with how "heavy investment" works and all. We have flasks for anti-bleed and it's incredibly easy to get near stun immunity.

There is now actually no reason ever to pick Slayer. With leech nerfs, accuracy needs and nerf to MoM mana PLUS the current survival demands of the average melee character... Melee is now dead. No reason to play a melee character anymore. Now we have no choice but to play Witch, because every other option is now a worse option.

I'm not touching this with a twenty-foot pole. I can guarantee without even knowing the buffs that one of them is gonna assist Witch, which is only more of a reason to only play as Witch.

tl;dr They call it Abyss league because no one is gonna be here to play this game anymore.
Last edited by WizBlizz1994 on Dec 5, 2017, 12:05:37 AM
"
korppi1 wrote:

As Chris also said: once they're Mapping, we have their souls.

__

I'm obviously not a top streamer or a meta-game player. I'm just a long-time supporter and someone who has an uncanny, unfortunate memory for pointless things. One of those pointless things, at least at the time, is a conversation I had with Chris in July, 2012. I'm going to paraphrase it for you now, just to show that while you might be able to justify this XP change as the result of GGG listening to streamers, it's actually just them trying/struggling to get back to their original vision. This was in person, so I don't have a written transcript. Sorry. Here's the gist:

Me: Why are there no significant jumps in power when you get a level after 90? These are very difficult thresholds to cross. Shouldn't there be an equal reward for the effort?

Chris: By that point, it's more a case of players can do it if they want to. This is not going to be something many players will do. And if we put significant power bursts after 90, then players are going to see 90+ as necessary rather than just something extra to try for.

You can easily find other examples of this sentiment if you care to dig. This is what Chris and the GGGang believed and wanted during PoE's closed beta. There's a reason content has only really gone up to mid 80s -- and there's a reason the achievement for getting level 90 even in Softcore is called 'Diminishing Returns'.

Whether or not simply increasing the xp to get from 95-100 is the answer is almost a different argument. I think it'll take a lot more than that to even vaguely come close to the original vision of 100 being K-2, that one mountain that even Everest climbers only dream about. And the hardest change would probably be some sort of hard-rewiring in players' brains that 100 is something they can expect to get. Should expect to get.

Nevermind that the vast, vast, VAST majority of builds are doing their thing by the mid 80s. Everything after that is just...what? Arbitrary grind. You get nothing for it. Nothing. So why do players feel they MUST have it? Is it because streamers and no-lifers seem to get it so easily? Do we see marathon runners on TV winning Olympic medals and figure if we go jogging every day we'll get that too?

And what would you do with that medal anyway? Pull it out at parties to break the ice? Look at it on the wall wistfully? Unless you *fucking suffered for years* to get that medal, it represents nothing. You could just go down to a local trophy shop and buy one.

So what if 99.99999999999999999999999999% of players will never get 100? Because you have a life, kids, a wife, a job, hobbies, regular bathing habits, and so on? You'll never have an Olympic medal either, even though I bet quite a few of you like to do some sort of sports. Does this somehow stop you from enjoying playing those sports? Do you think, fuck, what's the point in playing this sport if I'll never have the world's top accolades in it? Do you really? Play because you like it. Play because it makes you feel good. Play because your life sucks and work sucks and traffic sucks and the world sucks. All fine reasons to play. Play because you want to be the world's best? I don't think we call it 'play' when you start thinking like that.

So if this change will keep you from supporting, know that you're actively trying to boycott GGG's attempt to realise a long-held belief and hope regarding those last few character levels. Half-hearted or ill-conceived as the attempt may be, this has been a LONG time coming.

yeah really good post!!!! i really think they are doing the right thing. might be tough in the short run but the right thing isn't always the easy thing!!
I'm just pleasantly surprised the thorny issue of Vaal Pact is getting addressed at last. For a while now, it felt as if the entire game design was a delicate balancing act between creating content that is engaging and challenging enough, yet at the same time not impossibly difficult for characters without the ability to instantly leech back their entire health pool in a split second. This particular change sticks out to me as both needed and healthy for the future of the game, and it'll be interesting to see how well the player base adapts.
lol
"
KATAPLEXIA wrote:
All of these responses - 'RIP this', 'RIP that', 'Mark Rosewater etc.', 'No balnce = nerf everything' ..... all of you people need to have patience. This is not the patchnotes, just an explanation as to some of the 'nerfs'. Wait for the notes, the buffs, the new landscape of 3.1.0 and things will level out. There will always be some things that stick out, but it's a big game - vastly difficult to balance and maintain a vision for. Less hate and more trust.

Are you expecting the internet to NOT over-react? Seriously? :D
"
nskLantash wrote:
"
KATAPLEXIA wrote:

Are you expecting the internet to NOT over-react? Seriously? :D

Exactly! This thread has been pure gold so far...and I want more!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info