Damage Over Time Changes - Part 1

It sounds like....

"This is a buff"
Trust your gut.
Pretty sure no one is really interested in this, but how does the new bleed work in PvP? Still 1/6 while not moving?
What about Ignite, Bleed and Poison caused by minions?
Are they considered players or monsters?
There was a chance to completely get rid of double dipping, and it was not taken (granted that it stays more or less like this in beta).

there was this sheet done by neversink: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pdRv9EN7SQbdJpYF_QhykzL1ZLDxvM4eq02rp9c2MTA/edit

if you'd replace the numbers in the sheet with what you've planned now, I have the feeling that we might not end up at 1400% dot potential, but maybe at 400% dot potential or so, meaning that while the absolute numbers will be lower, it still will be meta to go the poison/bleed/ignite way, and you still cripple yourself by not doing so.

a better way would've been if secondary damage effects ("damage over time") would just be buffed strongly, but double dipping remove completely, as in have two different types of damage increases, those that increase direct damage (fire, elemental, spell, chaos, etc) and those that increase dot damage (dot, burning, poison, bleed). if you then at the same time would add a lot more damage clusters for dot damage exclusively in the tree, one could choose between going for a build that does mainly direct damage and has dot as a sort of "supplement" to their damage, and those that do relatively low direct damage, but invested heavily in dot damage and thus this is their main damage.

but as long as double dipping exists on only one source of damage (e.g. "fire damage" for ignite, or "chaos damage" for chaos-poison), people will find a way to "exploit" it, and eventually there won't be a real choice at all.

But then again, I don't know the numbers you guys have run in relation to these changes, so here are my questions, hoping that answers to those would allow my concerns to rest easy:

--------------------

Can you come up with some actual example numbers? maybe even in relation to neversink's double-dipping-showcase-sheet?

Can you provide a (definite) list of stats, maybe coupled with items as well, what was double dipping before and what doesn't double dip anymore after the change?

with the extreme double dipping (hopefully) gone for good, do you think about removing boss immunities such as with the guardians, so e.g. ignite builds can do phoenix, poison builds can do hydra etc? Or are you still planning to add immunities even in the future?

--------------------

Oh and inc burning damage will become a multiplier? LL RF it is in next patch then.
hey

there are currently skills like blight, ED,... who have the mod 'Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time'. Will those skills have a change too or be affected by these changes?
I know that they already have another way of calculating the DoT (similar to the new way?) but still, will there be negativ effects?

thx
Runde
Will Projectile damage still scale damage over time?
If so, why?
rip melee
@GGG

Please please please remove monster bleed, poison and ignite immunity and replace with bleed, poison, ignite resistances.

Now that double dipping is going away, anyone trying to scale these three status ailments will truly be useless against the currently immune T16 bosses for example.

Immunities really ruin the fun (or even viability) of builds, whereas resistances provide a challenge. This has been a change made in many other MMO and RPG games and it has in all cases that I have witnessed been a notable improvement.

"
DeadManWalkin wrote:

if you'd replace the numbers in the sheet with what you've planned now, I have the feeling that we might not end up at 1400% dot potential, but maybe at 400% dot potential or so, meaning that while the absolute numbers will be lower, it still will be meta to go the poison/bleed/ignite way, and you still cripple yourself by not doing so.

a better way would've been if secondary damage effects ("damage over time") would just be buffed strongly, but double dipping remove completely, as in have two different types of damage increases, those that increase direct damage (fire, elemental, spell, chaos, etc) and those that increase dot damage (dot, burning, poison, bleed). if you then at the same time would add a lot more damage clusters for dot damage exclusively in the tree, one could choose between going for a build that does mainly direct damage and has dot as a sort of "supplement" to their damage, and those that do relatively low direct damage, but invested heavily in dot damage and thus this is their main damage.

but as long as double dipping exists on only one source of damage (e.g. "fire damage" for ignite, or "chaos damage" for chaos-poison), people will find a way to "exploit" it, and eventually there won't be a real choice at all.

exactly how I feel.

unfortunately as with all things poe, it could be all or nothing- completely separating secondary damage effects could completely gut dot completely, and I personally speculate GGG doesnt want angry mob with pitchforks.

if poe continues to be a one-shot content game, dot damage is in a very uncomfortable position - there is a very thin line between exceptionally good and useless.

and with poison, doesnt look like duration is going to be addressed at all, and duration is EXTREMELY good in scaling poison because each stack matters
Can anyone summarize pls?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info