Sweep

Make it scale to weapon AS- or alternatively make the fixed speed based on weapon type(maybe current value for 2H maces, 1.1 for 1H maces, and 1.2 for staves).

Having the item better designed for slower weapons(for example weapons that don't have attack speed intrinsic affixes) is all good an fine.

But as it stands Sweep basically sucks for any non 2H mace weapon- Which is stupid, being that staves and 1H maces are just as unable to use cleave as 2H maces.

Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment
"
bilun wrote:
Make it scale to weapon AS- or alternatively make the fixed speed based on weapon type(maybe current value for 2H maces, 1.1 for 1H maces, and 1.2 for staves).

Having the item better designed for slower weapons(for example weapons that don't have attack speed intrinsic affixes) is all good an fine.

But as it stands Sweep basically sucks for any non 2H mace weapon- Which is stupid, being that staves and 1H maces are just as unable to use cleave as 2H maces.

I agree, I can see where they were going with the design decision, but it seems like a poor choice for a couple of reasons:

1) it isn't obvious at all from the gem that it ignores BASE attack speed
2) it makes things like staves with 1.25 base attack speed, that can't cleave, strictly worse in terms of AoE options than all other 2handers.

Realistically there should be some sort of attack speed bonus for items with base AS that is higher, as they're balanced around that AS in every other respect of the game.
I really wish this skill received a good buff

Comparing it to leap slam:

-it only allows 2 handed weapons, while LS allows also their one handed counterparts

-it as reduced damage effectiveness, while LS does not

both are in a way a physical 'nova', the difference is one is stationary while the other makes you jump from one point to another

being stationary makes you more vulnerable, so despite sweep being faster than LS, it needs something more

I think that leap slam should be replaced by just a 'leap' skill, solely used for defensive purposes while sweep gets buffed the following way...

-Can be used with any mace, sword, axe or staff
-same speed as a normal attack

while cleave could be reduced to only working with claws and daggers

-ground slam should also have the same weapon freedom as sweep, the difference between the two would be that, one attacks enemies in the distance while the other reaches close enemies around you

realism is not important, you could rename the skills if you want, it's about mechanics and I feel melee to be too restricted in it's weapon choices, especially if using claws and daggers
So you want to
-Remove Cleave for weapons that could realistically cleave
-Give everyone with generic weapons (ie. sword axe mace staff) the same two Melee AoE options, one of which is better
-Make weapon choice a false option
-Remove Leap Slam as a combat option altogether
-Make slow weapons yet more useless (it's not hard to 'break' armour with a fast two-hander, so why use a slow weapon)
-Give Daggers and Claws generic AoE so everyone has generic AoE

"Nobody" with generic weapons would use Sweep because GS has a better AoE pattern (being punched by dudes on all four sides is not a good thing and should be prevented, not attempted) and increased Stun capacity. Also, Cleave and Leap won't be options anymore; Cleave is now forced to switch to Daggers and Leap Slammers are just fucked over sideways.

Rather than building a specific character with a preferred weapon style, you can just cherry-pick the weapon with the biggest numbers, regardless of what it actually is. After all, Ground Slam works with everything anyways, so why use a Sword if Axes deal more damage and Maces Stun better.

Sounds exciting and varied.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Sounds exciting and varied.

Well, you do make points and balance is not my forte

I personally love sweep, I love going inside a crowd and hitting everyone in it

I don't even use ground slam, I don't like it

I just want sweep to be buffed, I am currently using leap slam because it is more open weapon wise but I don't like the leaping itself

From what I understand from your post, I made GS too powerful and opening skills to more weapons makes it less varied because no one invest in weapon passives on the tree besides me I guess...

well whatever, as I said balance is not my strong point, I'll let GGG take care of that, I just want to actually use my favorite skill with something else than two-handed maces/axes and buff it altogether
Last edited by Coal48 on Jul 13, 2013, 11:58:16 PM
found that and thought about a sweep build . Am i right that the ats on the weapon doesnt matters at all ?

that weapon would be awsome for sweep right?
Correct. Local Increased Attack Speed still applies, mind, so that's always useful.

The Staff's pretty good. A good Crit Chance roll would make it truly awesome: Crits go well with the Accuracy, and Staves can get Knockback on Crit. The latter combined with Sweep and the Fending passive gets you a whole lot of Knockback, which helps offset the low speed (melee monsters don't get as many chances to hit you).
That, or just IAS I guess. :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 23, 2013, 8:00:44 PM
I think, ATM Sweep looks like an inferior version of leap slam:
1. Both deal AoE melee damage and have circular area of effect. Though, Sweep isnt full 360%-wide arc.
2. Both deal almost the same DPS (leap slam is slower, but deals more damage per hit).
3. Both have chance to knockback
4. Both set base weapon speed (before modifiers) to 1.
5. Leap slam is a movement skill. Sweep isnt
6. Leap slam can be used with any weapon Sweep can be used with, and with some, Sweep cant be used with.
The only difference is Quality bonus.
Damn, we dont need 2 almost similar skills, one of them will always be inferior to another.
Make leap slam and sweep different, please!
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
1. Both deal AoE melee damage and have circular area of effect. Though, Sweep isnt full 360%-wide arc.

It is a full sweep, and has been for ages upon ages now. The description was updated and everything. *shrug*
I'd just like to be able to use sweep with a 2h sword... i see no reason for that limitation... maybe with staffs too..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info