Sweep

I gotta agree with sweep being mediocre compared to the other AoE melee skills available. I tried making it work, cast on melee with detonate dead, leap slam is just straight up better in every way.
I think AoE on level up, like rain of arrows, would definitely give sweep its place among the AoE melee gems.
Sorry for the slight necro, but sweep -desperately- needs a buff. Was trying to build a sweep/glacial hammer templar, and suddenly started getting wrecked somewhere in the middle of a3 merciless. Swapped out my sweep gem for a leap slam, and boom: I can survive again, with about a 20% dps increase to boot.

Sweep and Leap Slam are basically the same skill, except that LS can put out more DPS while being SAFER than Sweep. How is that balance?

Sweep needs a buff.
IGN: JohnVonNeumann
Last edited by Orbifold on Dec 20, 2013, 11:52:13 PM
gotta agree that currently sweep is underpowered as all hell, the major reason for this seems to be its locked base attack speed.

one way i can see fixing it without removing the locked attack speed is giving it a charge system like reave, maybe momentum stacks for each stack it gets a % more attack speed and damage based on the skill level, if something like this was added however the knockback effect would need to go out the window.

regardless of what style of buffing happens to sweep it really needs a rework of some sort
"
Orbifold wrote:
Sorry for the slight necro, but sweep -desperately- needs a buff. Was trying to build a sweep/glacial hammer templar, and suddenly started getting wrecked somewhere in the middle of a3 merciless. Swapped out my sweep gem for a leap slam, and boom: I can survive again, with about a 20% dps increase to boot.

Sweep and Leap Slam are basically the same skill, except that LS can put out more DPS while being SAFER than Sweep. How is that balance?

Sweep needs a buff.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that sweep has a 33% larger aoe radius than leap slam. It's a trade off for damage but hits a huuuge area.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The effect knocks back monsters by 4 units by default, which is minimum melee range

How Knockback distance interacts with increased Knockback Distance passives? There are three of them for total 40% increase which would give 5,6 units. What I believe is that most numbers in PoE are rounded down. So max distance would be 5 units = 25% efeective increase. Or is this not the case?
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Initemp wrote:
"
Orbifold wrote:

Sweep needs a buff.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that sweep has a 33% larger aoe radius than leap slam. It's a trade off for damage but hits a huuuge area.

Sweeo isnt a full 360-degree arc, while leap slam is. So sweep actually doesnt have more AoE coverage
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Sweeo isnt a full 360-degree arc, while leap slam is. So sweep actually doesnt have more AoE coverage

Yes, it is. It has been a full AoE for, what, two years now.
Anyone knows for sure the base attack speed of Sweep ?

According to this guide, the attack of Sweep is 1.14 ? I thought it was 1.14 attack per second but according to my tests, it's much slower, probably 1.14 second per swing.

1.14 second per swing means 0.88 attack per second (1/1.14). Even if the weapon's local attack speed apply multiplicatively to that speed, it still gonna be slower than any other attack, except Leap Slam.

Despite this, Sweep has a 75% damage multiplier, very similar to other comparable aoe skills such as rain of arrows (75%), Cleave (70%) and Ground Slam (80%). At least Leap slam has a 100% damage multiplier to compensate its slow base speed (0.71).

So, can anyone explain to me what's the point of Sweep if the base attack speed is so slow and the damage multiplier so low ?

Why use sweep at all instead of skills like cleave, ground slam, reave or any other single target melee skills with melee splash ?? In term of dps, sweep will always be at the bottom. I don't think the 360 degree arc and knockback are enough to justify such a low dps potential.

In addition, sweep only get +3% increased physical dmg per level while most other melee skills get +4%.

If Sweep base attack speed was 1.14 aps (instead of 0.88), it would at least make sense to use Sweep with very low base attack speed weapons (1.1 or slower).
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
"
Velkor wrote:
Anyone knows for sure the base attack speed of Sweep ?

According to this guide, the attack of Sweep is 1.14 ? I thought it was 1.14 attack per second but according to my tests, it's much slower, probably 1.14 second per swing.

1.14 second per swing means 0.88 attack per second (1/1.14). Even if the weapon's local attack speed apply multiplicatively to that speed, it still gonna be slower than any other attack, except Leap Slam.

Despite this, Sweep has a 75% damage multiplier, very similar to other comparable aoe skills such as rain of arrows (75%), Cleave (70%) and Ground Slam (80%). At least Leap slam has a 100% damage multiplier to compensate its slow base speed (0.71).

So, can anyone explain to me what's the point of Sweep if the base attack speed is so slow and the damage multiplier so low ?

Why use sweep at all instead of skills like cleave, ground slam, reave or any other single target melee skills with melee splash ?? In term of dps, sweep will always be at the bottom. I don't think the 360 degree arc and knockback are enough to justify such a low dps potential.

In addition, sweep only get +3% increased physical dmg per level while most other melee skills get +4%.

If Sweep base attack speed was 1.14 aps (instead of 0.88), it would at least make sense to use Sweep with very low base attack speed weapons (1.1 or slower).

Sweep makes your weapon's base swing time equal to 1.00, in the same way, as Leap Slam makes it equal to 1.4. Since most weapons have swing time <1, you will suffer additional AS penalty. To avois this, use slow weapons (Karui Maul, etc).

P.S. Sweep is indeed too weak. Leap Slam will be always better.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Feb 1, 2014, 9:00:57 AM
can reduced duration gem affect sweep?
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info