Sweep

"
bkboggy wrote:
I LOVE sweep. By far one of the most usable skills I've used so far. I use on my marauder with 2h axes and maces and it works like a charm. I round up all enemies, put on molten armor and do 1 sweep, DONE. All enemies of my level get killed just like that. So I'll have a few dozen enemies laying nicely stacked around me. LOVE IT! Wish I could use it with swords... but swords have cleave, so I guess it's not too horrible.

What I would like to see is maybe a whirlwind type of skill too. Continuously sweeping would be amazing. Or at least having an ability to move and sweep at the same time.

Just wanted to bump this to say props to bkboggy for predicting Cyclone in May 2012. :)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
so does sweep still miss alot with RT? how is it compared to say cyclone or leap slam at clearing larger mobs?

also any feedback with multistrike?

thanks
Well no, it's not going to Miss anything with Resolute Technique. That's what RT does :/

Leap Slam is the same but also moves your character around. It's probably a bit slower, but the movement that Leap offers is so powerful. No need to stack Crit and Knockback to stay safe from Melee: you're never close by anyways.
With how popular Cyclone is and how I never hear about Leap nor Sweep as active farming skills, Cyclone is probably the strongest. After all, it's not slow and Attack Speed is king.

On that note: Staves are Crit Melee. Hammer Blows + Fending man.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 11, 2013, 5:20:23 PM
I currently think that this gem has a lot of potential however I think there is a problem with how it scales at higher levels. At this point in time a level 1 sweep costs 8 mana to cast with a 30% chance to knock back. At level 20 this skill costs 17 mana and has a 39% chance to knock back with a 57% phys damage boost. That is over double the mana cost for only a minor increase in phys damage and knockback chance. Compared to similar skills like cleave ,ground slam , and leap slam it is ridiculously poor value. these other skill all receive a larger 76% phys damage when leveled and leap slam also receives a 14% increase to it's knockback chance. While the mana cost of these skills rises much less with cleave at around a 40% increase ground slam at a 60% increase and leap slam at a 30% increase. I think this is currently one of the core problems with this skill and hope it gets rebalanced so it's levels are more in line with other skills rather than being complete trash to the point where leveling the gem does not seem to be beneficial.
"
Dethalis wrote:
I currently think that this gem has a lot of potential however I think there is a problem with how it scales at higher levels. At this point in time a level 1 sweep costs 8 mana to cast with a 30% chance to knock back. At level 20 this skill costs 17 mana and has a 39% chance to knock back with a 57% phys damage boost. That is over double the mana cost for only a minor increase in phys damage and knockback chance. Compared to similar skills like cleave ,ground slam , and leap slam it is ridiculously poor value. these other skill all receive a larger 76% phys damage when leveled and leap slam also receives a 14% increase to it's knockback chance. While the mana cost of these skills rises much less with cleave at around a 40% increase ground slam at a 60% increase and leap slam at a 30% increase. I think this is currently one of the core problems with this skill and hope it gets rebalanced so it's levels are more in line with other skills rather than being complete trash to the point where leveling the gem does not seem to be beneficial.

I absolutely agree. To cover such ridiculous mana cost increase, Sweep should gain something like AoE radius or attack speed with each level (like Rain of Arrows or Cyclone). Currently, using lvl1 Sweep seems the most benefitial in most cases. It shouldnt be.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Is there any reason why sweep is the only melee skill that still only grants 3% increased phys damage per level rather than 4% like all the others?
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Is there any reason why sweep is the only melee skill that still only grants 3% increased phys damage per level rather than 4% like all the others?

Actually, a lot melee skills grant 3% damage per level:
Flicker Strike
Lightning Strike
and so on...
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Dethalis wrote:

This is spot on, this gem needs a better scaling on the later levels (or other stats as some mentioned, AOE or attack speed).

However it is in the nature of this skill that it will be better than ground slam etc. for quickly killing big clusters of mobs since it does a 360 arc, whereas ground slam might be safer.
Now that they work the same way (has its own attack speed timer, and for that reason work better with SLOW weapons) I might do some testing when I have both gems at high levels.

Alchemied this badboy yesterday on Domination league.
Last edited by Harmster on Nov 2, 2013, 2:27:37 PM
You can use Leap Slam for killing big clusters. It also provides movement, better damage progression, lower manacost and can be used with wider variety of weapons.

There is no knowledge
That is not power
So I finally have to comment on this, why is sweep STILL a second rate skill? Leap slam is better in almost every way (except for desync).

Who (except me) uses sweep, particularly later in the game? I don't use sweep because it's super effective, it's not, I use it because of terrible sync issues, it has some uses sure but it is comparatively garbage.

It also doesn't help that there are only a tiny amount of weapons suited for it (though this is a problem with leap slam too).

I get that you guys want to give the lower speed, heavy hitting weapons some sort of advantage, but it's clearly not enough or karui choppers and mauls and sweep would be more prominent. They are all second rate and it's all related.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info