Shock Nova

hmm.. so maybe just remove the "deadzone" ? i thought its a "nova" which goes out from the center of the caster .. not just appearing in a circle around him.. this would help very much

cause i really like elektric-spells.. but spark + shock nova, it not the best choice. ill hope there will be more "spells" for the open beta or later in the released game
Last edited by Rhulu on Jul 14, 2012, 5:15:53 AM
At the moment I am planning on the following build. My only concern is that I wont have enough armor because ppl told me ingame that you still need good Armor with ES or you will have to run out of the fight every few seconds.

I swapped 40% armor for CI, Unnatural Calm, Doom Cast and 60% ES recovery.

I want to like this skill. I like electric spells. The idea is good, high damage trades off for a dead zone. Problem is, I'm having the same lag issues as other players are reporting. It's really hard to be sure a mob is in the damage area and not the dead zone. You can use up an awful lot of mana to do no damage at all.
Open beta is still BETA.
-
Last edited by Unrecked on Mar 24, 2013, 3:20:54 AM
Today was the first time I have tried Shock Nova and I never knew that it has a void in the middle. The damage is high, but I was shocked to see how low the critical strike was considering the void.

Regardless, I was wondering why there is a central void. No one I have ever played with bothers with Shock Nova (after 2.5 months of play), which would tell me that it isn't very viable. I have heard that it was nerfed to oblivion many patches ago, but I am surprised that there hasn't been any buffs to the spell as of late.

This is my plan with a critical strike based shadow:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQYAAy-ieAWqm1UHJsqWDFz_ug4m5EURDujLFLN6rRi6bYQa68s9G9O4vyEa-H8hedp6LNfCCzDpZhIy6rnsNtIc6j2MMPU-iIzlPwSf6z94XJ4_nl9NQxiLt0lHOJxNM76rT0NZfVGHTcpT-uivV2DFvVq3a9VcC6LoXNnfFF-buYhgRwTJYzq_yGbHNdtyoJ9TcvYIf3bNX5l3ABYJfIbKGf_HCoeYLSLUx_NdvZZrzK2wphHsi78K34eeSQfk6IMjxx9hH7Yk2CuMKoh29yMgucg5MAHEsyd57dl4SKm_B2K9IbtWzcpmY_2YbdP1ObqP2zMiuLyBuOb3ZjtJheVX3IKqKcSnmHqRp-cNprMcOKboQHTtw37DfaefGF-WHGVqkGlTJZzFRM3t17l4luRM9JjiHBzpT-_Au5f3iQ==

Here is my plan for skill gems:

Shock Nova + Faster Casting + Added Cold Damage / Elemental Prolif + Concentrated AoE / Increased AoE

Spark + Totem + Faster Projectiles + Added Cold Damage / Elemental Prolif

Lightning Warp + Knockback + Increased AoE + ???

Phase Run + Elemental Weakness + Increased Duration

I will try out both Added Cold Damage / Elemental Prolif on Spark Nova and Spark to see which is more viable. Also, pending on how Increased AoE effects Shock Nova, I will which is to my liking.
Last edited by Repeats on Jul 29, 2012, 7:05:25 PM
it went from OP to meh

1. spark is hard to aim unless you are in a cave and/or us lesser/greater multiple projectile.

2. shock nova has a gigantic dead spot so if mobs are too far or too close ... it's worthless.

3. delay on lightening warp

why is everything about lightning magic designed to be hard to use?

I've found this skill lackluster on my 24 lightning witch and have since retired her.

Spark is too hard to aim unless you are indoors or at melee range, lightning warp doesn't do enough damage and has an infuriating delay, and shock nova has the deadzone that I (and apparently everyone else) don't see any justification for.

In Diablo 2, the Nova skill was a lightning ring that radiated outwards from the caster, doing a great deal of damage but costing a prohibitive amount of mana to use on anything other than a massive cluster of enemies around you.

I don't really know why shock nova isn't like D2's Nova, but suffice to say the skill as it is currently implemented is not worth using, it is too frustrating to use effectively.

I'd suggest removing the deadzone and slightly reducing the damage output (10-15% or so), or increasing its damage even further but increasing the mana cost significantly.
"
xenogfan43 wrote:
Spark is too hard to aim unless you are indoors or at melee range, lightning warp doesn't do enough damage and has an infuriating delay, and shock nova has the deadzone that I (and apparently everyone else) don't see any justification for.

With the current skill set, the Lightning caster is definitely mid-to-melee range. I played my Lightning Witch as such, and found it to be very powerful.

Warp hits twice and hits hard each time. The time between teleports depends on distance and movement speed. With the Blast Radius passive right above the Witch starting area, it's easy to land two hits on mobs between origin and exit. The fairly high Mana cost is offset by the fact you cannot spam-cast it anyways.

Spark combined with just +Lightning Damage deals a lot of single-target damage, too. I also added a Faster Projectiles support so its range was a little better.

Nova... Well, I never used Nova. Instead, Warp filled Nova's purpose; AoE damage. That is a problem, tbh.
"
laz000 wrote:
it went from OP to meh

1. spark is hard to aim unless you are in a cave and/or us lesser/greater multiple projectile.

2. shock nova has a gigantic dead spot so if mobs are too far or too close ... it's worthless.

3. delay on lightening warp

why is everything about lightning magic designed to be hard to use?

This is exactly what I have felt about lightning damage in this game ever since i started playing.

Spark is clunky and misses half the time because of its random nature(which is already demonstrated in the high range of damage), making it more like a frontal cone AoE then a single target spell.

Shock nova has the deadzone which makes it unusable as a steady full AoE damage ability, even with concentrated effect.

lightning warp has a delay for what feels like zero reason(when flicker strike, whirling blades, leap slam, and shield bash all exist and have faster base speeds), not to mention lightning is supposed to be fast! "The speed of light" comes to mind.

I feel like lightning spells as a whole really need to be looked at with this skill being the poster child for unnecessarily painful mechanics.

leave righteous fire as the only hard to use/high risk/high reward spell and give lightning damage a break.
I feel the same way about Shock Nova, the dead zone makes the skill hard to use, and I cant never tell if I have hit or not a mob, maybe the effects on the spell should change

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info