Shield Charge

One of my friends attached a point blank gem to shield charge, and it works. now his charges do the same damage at any range... is that intentional?
point blank is for ranged attacks, shield charge is a melee attack.
shield charge linearly provides its damage increase, while point blank works in tiers and diminishes fast till inverting.
Does it make no difference what type of shield you use with this skill? The skill description says it bashes with a shield while striking with a weapon. It seems odd that the damage is the same whether you use a metal tower shield or a goathide buckler.
Shields don't deal damage, do they. It's the weapon that does the hurting.
Its probably been said countless times in this thread, but this skill really does feel like I needs some form of mild AoE. The fact that I can charge through 30+ enemies on my screen to get to my target, only to casually bump them out of the way seems both unrealistic and generally boring.

Suggested_Change:
Shield Charge
---
Charge at an enemy, bashing it with the character's shield while striking with a melee weapon. This knocks it back and stuns it.

Enemies in the way are pushed to the side, receive minor damage, and slows your overall momentum. This attack cannot miss. Damage and stun are proportional to distance traveled.
---
x% Increased stun duration on enemies at maximum charge distance.

x% More damage at maximum charge distance.

x% Increased movement speed.

Each enemy struck while charging receives x% of weapon damage, and reduces your movement speed and final damage by x%.

The overall functionality remains the same, but the change more or less spreads the abilities overall damage among all targets struck, with the original shield charge target still taking the brunt of the force.

The whole goal also keeps the ability thematically correct. I mean come on, how is it i can charge through hordes of enemies, and not get slowed down in the slightest. It would feel both more interesting, and more immersive if I noticed my character slow down slightly with every enemy struck, and feed much more satisfied when I saw there life totals go down, even if only a little bit.

Side effect as well, this would give it some slight "synergy" with Tempest Shield, which seems to be something else many other people are asking for. While not direct synergy, the little pings of damage you would deal with this change, coupled with the pings of damage you dish out when blocking would help slowly but surely AoE down the enemy horde.

Just my two cents, take it for what you will. I for one, find this ability almost unusable in its current state, as I could choose either Leap Slam or Flicker Strike and get an ability that out preforms this one in literally every way imaginable, which is a shame, because thematically I LOVE this ability.
Any reason this doesnt work with facebreaker builds? They seriously need some sort of mobility skill and this 1 is the most logical.
I would use this fun little skill if it didn't have one serious flaw: I get stuck and "hang" on what appears to be any tiny little obstacle, often invisible to me, expending mana / blood magic health without moving me to my destination. Other skills like leap slam do not have this problem. Are you considering looking into this? Thanks much!
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
I've been using this as one of my primary abilities for 50 levels and I've often experienced a bug where my character gets stuck in the charge animation (while standing still) and I completely lose control of my character.

I can create a portal and talk to other players but cannot move or use the portal.

I thought it was related to desynch (which i frequently experience with this ability), but the /oos command does not get me out of the animation.

The only way to fix this is to log out and log back in.
I had the exact same issue as SirOtis and onomastikon today: I charged one of those scarab-dropping bugs, and it looked like by templar got stuck in charge mode on a pillar-I had to ESC>exit asap.
"
SirOtis wrote:
I've been using this as one of my primary abilities for 50 levels and I've often experienced a bug where my character gets stuck in the charge animation (while standing still) and I completely lose control of my character.

I can create a portal and talk to other players but cannot move or use the portal.

I thought it was related to desynch (which i frequently experience with this ability), but the /oos command does not get me out of the animation.

The only way to fix this is to log out and log back in.

I have encountered this same issue as well.

I was able to get unstuck when:
-I unquipped equipment -- I don't remember whether unequipping the shield or the Shield Charge gem works for this
-The enemy I was targeting when I got stuck dies (I also had Tempest Shield on, so he killed himself on it, then I was no longer stuck)
Last edited by mrflippy on Feb 25, 2013, 3:02:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info