Lightning Warp

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Also, this would mean an Increased Duration support makes Warp slower. Now that's... Interesting.
i can see someone attempting to double warp, which will either cause a crash or hilarity.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Strill wrote:
Also, even if you cast the spell successfully, if you're stunned while it teleports you it will fail. Worthless. Frost wall is much more reliable.
That's not true, stunning has no effect on the teleporting once the spell is cast. We think the occasional failures are due to sync issues, but they've been hard to replicate so far.

I died last night because the warp failed. I cast the warp, moved, got hit, the warp executed, and my Witch remained exactly where she was standing when the warp executed... and I died about a second or two later because of it.

Having said this, I was in a room, down some steps, and targeted the hallway just outside the entry point of the room. Upon entering the room and going down the steps I quickly discovered the room was overwhelmingly populated and thus cast warp to get out before I could be surrounded. However, with the teleport delay, I did get surrounded while trying to backtrack out of the room after casting the warp. So I don't know what happened. I do know the bottom of the stairs, to the hall outside the room wasn't a straight, walkable path. Did the warp fail due to no straight line?; because I get hit?; because I got surrounded during the delay between the cast and wrap execution, meaning there was no walkable path at point the teleport went off?
It's more likely that the server didn't register the casting at all (probably due to being Stunned during the Cast), with the client still displaying the Warp animation.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 23, 2013, 1:31:23 PM
Yeah, just desynch.
At times my LW totem just stands around for a few seconds before it actually starts warping although it already is on the server. Sometimes the totem doesn't even appear before it is finished with it's first warp. Sometimes the totem appears but doesn't do anything although it's getting meleed. Lw can be very misleading with desynch, I'd never try to use it to save myself.
Thanksfully I have skeletons I can drop in a room before thinking about entering. Remember, with PoE, what you see might not be what you get. :/
... is not a troll
Feels stupid asking more knowledgable people this but are you sure the failing is due to desynch? If I hold my button down the Lightning Warp will fail every other warp 9/10 times no matter how far the distance is(I get the animation but no actual teleport or damage). It just feels more likely that it might have something to do with the code that stops you from casting it while you still haven't finished a previous warp.
Quite annoying, since I wanted to try an offensive build using it but don't know if it's worth the bother if I have to time every activation of the skill.

Also, I sometimes teleport to a slightly different place than where the skill suggest but this feels more like regular desynch.
IGN Hardcore: Muppman
IGN Beyond: TheTrueAuraBitch or BlixtarOchDunder
Last edited by keyarchan on Jun 22, 2013, 1:12:42 AM
What you describe is a whole other scenario than what Galtrovan describes though. His sounds like stun desync, what you describe is a reported bug that has nothing to do with being stunned.

It's probably still desynch, but a different case. The client allows you to cast Warp, shows the animation, and stops further activations of Warp. The server says you can't actually Warp yet and just waits for more input (which doesn't arrive because the client thinks you're Warping).

It's quite an annoying occurence and kinda kills Warp's spammability and thus damage potential.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jun 25, 2013, 10:50:16 AM
"
keyarchan wrote:
Feels stupid asking more knowledgable people this but are you sure the failing is due to desynch? If I hold my button down the Lightning Warp will fail every other warp 9/10 times no matter how far the distance is(I get the animation but no actual teleport or damage). It just feels more likely that it might have something to do with the code that stops you from casting it while you still haven't finished a previous warp.
Quite annoying, since I wanted to try an offensive build using it but don't know if it's worth the bother if I have to time every activation of the skill.

Also, I sometimes teleport to a slightly different place than where the skill suggest but this feels more like regular desynch.

i experience some of the same issue. mostly when i click directly on a monster. i believe, from what it appears on screen, that i end up at a random point within the enemy's hitbox and not directly where i click. also i notice i need direct line of sight to the point of destination. its tricky when trying to teleport out a doorway because a hair's width's click to the left or right of the area outside the doorway and the teleport fails for me.

i also agree with the rest of the posters who say the delay on top of cast speed is way too long. maybe if the skill ignored cast speed and only used the inherent delay it would be more useful. taking 12 hits while casting an escape/retreat movement spell defeats the purpose.

i see a point in not wanting Lightning warp to be a clone of teleport from Diablo II so maybe instead of dealing damage it can tank damage equal to like 10% of your life total while casting or something protective. or maybe reduce incoming damage by a % while casting. if it is going to deal damage maybe only at the point of origin and increase the effect speed. its almost helping monsters hurt you in its present design.

finally, i also think it would be helpful if no other change was made, that minions were more keen on following the caster. it would help non-spell-using summoners focus their damage or move to new mobs more efficiently.

no intention of making it OP, just my opinions on utility.
Last edited by Verac10us on Jun 28, 2013, 3:02:51 PM
This is a pretty damn fun skill once you specialize in it. I haven't gotten my Bronne's Lithe yet but once I do I think I'll be doing substantial damage. It's like the Searing Touch for Lightning Warp!

A goal of mine is to reach enough increased area of effect to easily hit enemies with both blasts (first at teleportation, second at landing). I think I'd reach that point with the Witch's area of effect nodes (20%) and a Divinarius or two (10% each). With enough critical strike chance and multiplier, shotgunning the blasts is devastating.

The problem with trying to achieve it is that the blasts' appearances don't change and so I cannot see if there is any overlap between them. I've done some tests against Kuduku and found the shotgunning does work with just the nodes, but of course more is certainly welcome. Hopefully the graphical and desync issues are resolved soon to make this easier.

Oh yeah, and there are a few glitches here and there. For one, the giant arrow still shows up from time to time in various sizes. Also, sometimes without being stunned my character won't actually teleport (I've tested this without being attacked). It also sometimes places the initial "portal" somewhere random (even somewhere impossible to reach) and either doesn't teleport the character or puts it in a difference place.

I'll try and compile these bugs in a bug report soon.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
Also, sometimes without being stunned my character won't actually teleport (I've tested this without being attacked).

This particular bug has been reported. :) (it's also bloody annoying...)
Why cant we queue teleports? I wish we could issue several warp orders that the char could follow.

Also why is it affected by movement speed when leap slam or whirling blades arent? The 3 share the same role, warp being the awkward one.
Last edited by fsk1989 on Jul 11, 2013, 6:36:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info