Lightning Warp

I'd say knockback or chance to flee would be a great way to ensure the totems survival.
And don't get close to archers.^^
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
I'm also trying to use a Shadow with movement passives and gear.

I'm still less than convinced by LW : You need a serious investment to reduce its cast time. But when you have a high movement value, it's much easier to simply move on your two feet to where you want. More precise and predictible, too.
Ok, there's the AOE, but it's less clunky to simply position yourself via a regular move, then fire any aoe you want...

The point about the surefire escape doesn't make feel right with a fragile and high-speed character. The high speed allows you to avoid being surrounded and the relatively low defence makes it a bad idea anyway.

It might be more useful for a high-defence, low-speed character, but then why bother moving away ? And firing LW will take ages. Why not simply use a melee AOE then ?

ATM, I'm still developing that char, but I feel I'm forcing myself to use LW rather than using it naturally. Might try a templar next.
And that's why I prefer to use it as a main skill instead.
Well, you can use it as your main attack on a lightning templar, with just speed boots.
Or you use it as a utility, activating teleport, then continuing to shoot fireballs or whatever until it activates, rinse and repeat.
In this case, it has a distinct utility in that it allows you to shoot in your "move time".
Like WB and Leap.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
PvP Comment: This skill needs to NOT telegraph where you are going to the enemy if you intend for it to be used in PvP.

Since it's the only 'escape' skill you can use with a bow right now (please add something for bows! hook shot imo!) I was trying it out, thinking I could maybe cast it in one direction while juking in another. But the big honking sign where I'm going let my melee opponents just sit on it and wait for me to show up :(
Yeah, I understand the fact that you can attack while it is cycling. I just find that rather clunky.
You have to move your cursor to the intended aim point, cast, then move the cursor back to where you were aiming. Plus, by the time it casts, the situation will have changed. In the end, it's rather less convenient than simply moving and stopping to shoot. Especially if you have high move speed.

I was sort of thinking of using it in an EK / LW shadow build. So far, the EK part works, I'm beginning to try to incorporate LW in my routine. I don't find it very useful so far. Maybe when it has developed a bit more...

I also had LW on a lightning Witch. Since she was mostly about Spark and Nova (no Arc at that time) she used it rather more against.. Archers :) Which meant frequent crashes.

@vipermagi What sort of build are you using for that ? Lightning templar ?
Last edited by Skjuld on Nov 19, 2012, 3:22:48 PM
Hrm I was thinking, what is LW was a double activation? Like, you chose your tele spot, and had to wait the delay, but after the delay was up you had to hit the skill again to teleport. So you could choose when to leave (and maybe your option to tele would expire after 15 seconds or something). Would definitely make the skill a lot more useful and interesting.
"
Skjuld wrote:
@vipermagi What sort of build are you using for that ? Lightning templar ?

Nyurgh Templars. I made way too many of those, so I made mine a Witch. Costs 2 skill points more (the two Spell Damage nodes at the start) but is otherwise the same, so that's just for taste :P
Boils down to this. Two totems with Lightning Warp, Static Blows cluster, high damage, high AoE. Can choose between running around with Phase Run or Warping and Sparking stuff.
Lightning Warp's delay is based on your movement speed, and totems take your movement speed as theirs. Ergo, casting Phase Run means your Totems warp more often :) The lazy man's way.
The huge AoE means you can double-hit a whole lot of dudes with one Warp, which is *fantastic*. I'd probably give the totems Increased AoE and run around with Concentrated Effect myself.

Not that great, but still functional, in tight quarters. Snare curses are good, basically. For open areas, Conductivity would be the way to go.
The arrow crash bug completely kills it though. :/ So hoping they fix that soon.

Another idea I wanted to try some time was a Shadow. Ev/ES and Decoy Totem should work okay maybe maybe not? There's always Curses should survivability be an issue. Some Crits and the 5% Shock cluster for damage, lots of Movement Speed nodes for Warp speed.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 20, 2012, 7:29:06 AM
I'll probably just repeat what everyone else has already said but I think this makes it clear how players feel about this skill.

Make it instantaneous and give it a cool down instead.

Being able to teleport fast out of a bad situation would make this skill very usefull, both in PVE and PVP.
Giving a cooldown will stop abusing it as a means to move around, like teleport was in D2.

You can even reduce the amount of damage it deals if that would be a balance issue, but instant teleport is just necessary!
I really like that this skill can be used as damage, even on totems, so I can't quite agree with that.
Now, if the cooldown was based on the distance traveled, being around 1.5x the time it would have taken you to get there, that would work great.
Especially with the double activation idea, I really like that, even though it reduces the offensive potential of the skill.
And let's be honest, you'll never be as fast as with leap slam.
Zaanus:

___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info