Infernal Blow

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Attacks take your weapon's Crit chance. Spells and other non-Weapon damage skills have their Crit chance listed on the gem.
The character sheet lists the Infernal Blow attack damage (and thus Crit chance, based on your weapon). The explosion, which currently cannot be listed in the Charsheet, takes the 7% Crit chance.

I thought that might be the case.
Will that explosion's crit chance be effected by local weapon mods, and/or spell crit chance?
the explosion is neither spell nor attack. it is just elemental, AoE, and Fire.
plain crit will work.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Feb 5, 2013, 2:19:56 AM
I switch to Infernal Blow when I'm about to fight some necromancers. It's a huge bummer that the Corpse Explosion doesn't apply the "Going to Corpse Explode on Death" debuff. If I want to make sure that I don't leave any bodies, I have to carefully only target the enemies with the least life, and in big enough groups you end up leaving bodies anyways. Here's some pros and cons for changing it:

Pros:

If you commit to only using Infernal Blow, there'll never ever be any corpses left.

Infernal Blow is way "cooler."

It won't be over powered because the Corpse Explosion only kills bad guys who are almost dead anyways. A Leap Slam would finish off the same group.

Cons:

There aren't any Cons. Do it.
Does anyone know why my Infernal Blow tooltip shows Main Hand AND Off-hand damage when I'm using a 2H weapon?

Right now it says...

Main Hand Lightning/Fire/Physical X-X, which add up to the correct Total Damage shown on the Offense tab for the skill.

Then it says Off-Hand Lightning/Fire/Physical X-X damage as well, listed alongside the Main Hand. These numbers are much smaller (for instance, the Physical lists 1-4 damage) and don't seem to actually add up to anything I can figure out.

I know the weapon was changed to work with DW at some point, but if I'm using a 2H it should only show Main Hand damage otherwise the tooltip is confusing. Unless there's something I'm missing, thanks in advance.

EDIT - Added link to a pic of the tooltip

Infernal Blow Tooltip

|____________ G . L . O . W . Y . R . M ____________|
< My PoE career highlight, Being beat by Throzz, hehe >
||||||\\\\\~ http://tinyurl.com/2ndPlaceToThrozz ~/////||||||

Last edited by Glowyrm on Feb 8, 2013, 2:12:14 PM
so heres the issue.
I'm a level 40 duelist and I've been building around infernal blow, stacking both elemental and physical damage. I've been using 1h + shield. Infernal blow does great single target damage but when it comes to aoe its just not that great.
I tried to even gem it with elemental prolif and chance to ignite, along with the flammibility curse.
The main issue here is its just not quite as powerful as some other things I could use.
I could easily out dps AND greatly outrange the infernal blow skill simply by dual wielding and using cleave, allowing the elemental damage I have to further stack.

In later levels, I expect to die alot if I have to get up close and use infernal blow, especially since without reliable AOE on the skill, I'll have inadequate life steal, even with an attached life steal support gem.

In late game I could simply use cleave which would have massively higher life steal due to its constant AoE (in opposed to infernal blow's single target) and it would even out damage infernal blow single target!

In my opinion what would fix a lot of the problems with the skill would be to allow the explosion to be modified by support gems (as of now it is an explosion created by the enemies corpse, not by you yourself?) this would allow life steal to work more effectively with the skill, and increase the aoe damage potential.
Betrayal IGN: TruviaSweet
I agree completely with you Sherbondtio.

I have a Maruader (its low lvl though) that uses infernal blow, at lvl 35 had 1000dps. It was one hit everything, 2-3 hit rare enemies, 5 hit tougher rares.

Yet i mostly attack with Cleave, becuase it dishes out WAY more damage. Its only 500dps on sheet, but each attack can hit up to 5-6 enemies easily on a group, so thats 3000dps, while infernal blow will always be one hit.

I still can't wrap my head around "single target" melee attacks, they just dont work. cleave needs to be turned into a support, or built in as a mechanic for each weapon type.

Infernal blow should deal explosion damage based on the amount of hits it took you to kill the enemy.

If you one-shot an enemy it should explode for all its life. If you two shot it for 50% and so on.

Or basically explode for the amount of damage dealt (the fire portion of the damage) So when using infernal blow you would build around it's fire damage and explosion, improving it as much as possible so you get a good AOE. 20% of the monster's life will never be more than your attack (for common monsters), so its a shitty AOE.

Skill is good, i use it, but the AOE component is bad. I just use it for its 125% effectivness and 50% conversion to fire. If i had a hammer i would use glacial hammer thats what im saying, since the freezing and shattering i find way better than the silly gimicky aoe.
Last edited by incugus on Feb 14, 2013, 1:53:32 PM
i'm extremely certain that the damage effectiveness works on the explosion, but i'm just as likely to be wrong.
If I use an item quantity support gem with the infernal blow skill. Will the mobs killed by the explosion have a higher chance of dropping items or just the one mob that I killed with my inferno blow?
Ign: Khalari
Perhaps turning the AOE into a cone in front of the player or a cone behind the enemy will help justifying using Infernal Blow?

In general it seems rather risky to be surrounded by mobs in such a way that IB's AOE will be effective.. Making it a cone behind the enemy target will increase the depth/complexity of using the skill by forcing the player to position themselves such that the exploding mob has most of the mob pack behind it.

It will also reduce the risk of using it, because now you dont have to be surrounded by 4-5 hard hitting melee mobs to make use of the AOE.
"
Addeziz wrote:
you dont have to be surrounded by 4-5 hard hitting melee mobs to make use of the AOE.

Isn't the whole point of playing melee to be surrounded? :)
Resists trolls
Casts Joy
Ninja looter
Spreads tar when tickled

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info