Static Strike

I think Static Strike needs 2 small things to fix it.

1) like Frost Blades, it needs +18 melee range.

Why? so you can keep up your static strike charges, without your "beams" killing things before you can attack them. This wouldnt really buff the gem, just make it less of a hassel to play and keep the static charges up.

2) +1 or +2 chain for beams, built into the skill.

The 6 nearby targets getting attacked isnt enough in todays wave clear meta. When your surrounded by 30+ monsters, it hitting 4-6 (in range) just doesnt feel like its enough.

That should fix the gem, without makeing it overpowered.
I'm just starting the maps right now but the static strike lacks aoe since the beams are so close from the character.
Like everyone is saying this needs some kind of chaining mechanism around it.
At least it should proc of the nearest target if there's none close.

I'm trying a max block Glad so, I'll test some things and will keep you posted.
"
smoovemove wrote:
I'm just starting the maps right now but the static strike lacks aoe since the beams are so close from the character.

I can highly recammend Cast on Crit, with Static Strike.
Arc reach helps it so much, and because of Arc's 15% more dmg pr remaining chain, its single target damage isnt so bad either.

Try this:

1 Static Strike
2 Increased critical strike chance
3 Increased critical damage
4 Ice Bite
5 Cast on Crit
6 Arc

Then run Wrath aura + Herald of Ice.
"
Arkadrel wrote:
"
smoovemove wrote:

I can highly recammend Cast on Crit, with Static Strike.
Arc reach helps it so much, and because of Arc's 15% more dmg pr remaining chain, its single target damage isnt so bad either.

Try this:

1 Static Strike
2 Increased critical strike chance
3 Increased critical damage
4 Ice Bite
5 Cast on Crit
6 Arc

Then run Wrath aura + Herald of Ice.

Well the build is with resolute technique, it's a no crit build. phys converted 90%
See by yourself my POB, I updated with soul taker and hatred, lvl 92 and all skill gems 20/20, max block 78/78 with rumi's (even if it's not in the flask atm)
I also want to try elemental weakness instead of enfeeble, it boosts the damage a lot... I'm starting tier5 maps and still don't have 3rd lab so I need to check if the toughness is enough while climbing the tier.

Here's the link : https://pastebin.com/SPnzWYf5

We really need some changes on the skill itself though... there's a lack of aoe with the beams atm and also sustaining the 3 stacks is a pain in the ass.
"
Spoiler

One real problem and objection: that jewel, like a lot of threshold jewels, would just be a "bandaid" option, which means it's a bad idea.

In short: if a skill REQUIRES you use a jewel to make it viable for its main purpose... It's not viable anyway, since it means the "cost" of making such a build now includes 1-2 jewel sockets on the tree that could've easily just used DPS-boosting jewels.

In short: with the current functionality, yes, those jewels would be an improvement, but to properly balance, they should be rolled into the base skill itself. Threshold jewels should be kept for things that substantially alter the way it's played, rather than just adding stats (be it chains, extra projectiles, etc) that make up for the shortcomings of an underwhelming skill.

Ring of blades and Combat Focus are examples of good such jewels, as while the consensus is that their respective skills are definitely BETTER with them, it's an outright different build route. (also, the current Winter's Bounty is a good example, even though, IIRC, it's better WITHOUT it)

"
Voltaxic wrote:
It just needed bigger AoE and less delay
.... what the fuck.....

Yeah, it seems like GGG more recently has decided AGAINST considering anything I mention or suggest.

Also, it flies RIGHT into the face of what Rory rather ham-fistedly tried to explain about "flaws."

We now basically have a plain namelocking skill that... Casts a weaker version of arc for you. There is literally no reason to build this way instead of just going arc. I see people proposing stacking it with CoC arc but... There's literally no benefit to this over just any other pure-namelocking skill.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Yea wtf this new Static Strike redesign actually made the skill worse...the AoE on the beams is so god damn small its ridiculous. This is by far the worst skill redesign yet.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
Yeah, I'd go so far as to say that the best course of action -by far- would be a 100% revert of the "rework." Scrap what they made, and if they REALLY insisted that the skill needed something to make more use it, start back over from there.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
New Static Strike is aweosme, LMAO! I'm using it on maps, and I'm literally walking around stuff and they die in secs... You don't even need to use it with damage boosting support gems, because the skill deal enough damage by deafault. Just use increased area of effect, then add some Curse on hit, and the skill will wreck havoc, so long as you don't stop moving.

You all just need to git gud and use your brains to learn how to use this skill.
Last edited by Belzak55 on Sep 8, 2018, 1:24:44 PM
Yes, an account with zero characters or achievements, telling others to "git gud." If you gotta hide your actual experience with the game while insulting others, that tells us all we need to know about your actual experience; or rather, lack thereof.

Anyone with any capability of using PoB will know what you claim is patently false anyhow: the DPS on it is abysmal no matter how you build it. I actually -am- using partly what you claim for the build, and it's still worthless. Boss DPS is around half of pre-nerf, and pack clear while moving is far inferior, as it no longer one-shots even trash mobs.

Last edited by ACGIFT on Sep 8, 2018, 2:20:19 PM
"
Am I right in thinking the beams aren't melee damage, so passives like "25% increased Melee Critical Strike Chance" won't affect them?
As a followup to this, I tested the Fortify support and found that the beam hits do refresh the Fortify buff (whereas, for instance, the Smite area damage doesn't). I can't confirm the critical strike case directly, but to me that implies the beams are considered melee hits. That was a surprise, I expected the mechanics to be more like, say, Wild Strike's effects, scaling on Attack bonuses but not Melee bonuses.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info