Static Strike

It's about time

If secondary effect doesn't start off initial hit but hits only after 0.4sec delay - the skill would be unusable without Herald of Thunder or Melee Splash

I'm going to use it in delve anyway, but I anticipate in its current state the skill is like 10 times less effective than molten strike.
Last edited by SomethingWonderful on Aug 31, 2018, 8:40:30 AM
It just needed bigger AoE and less delay
.... what the fuck.....
This is gonna be nerfed so hard...
So I've been testing the skill on standard, non-meta melee setup, low damage, nothing abusable.
constants: Oro's Sacrifice, 520% damage, 72% penetration, Elemental Overload, 358% movement speed, phasing, always moving, no melee splash.
variables: skill effect duration [0, 45]%, Aoe [0, 30, 66]%

• The skill visual effect is 'non-existent'
• At 350%+ movement speed secondary effect 'tickrate' is too low no matter what.
• Even at 350% ms 4sec skill duration feels too low, not using Inpulsa's I have to stay near the monster pack for at least two ticks (600-800ms) so, at 28k avg damage per pulse I have to invest in duration as well in ms.
• AoE size is counter intuitive (I can barely see these pale beams striking the ground around the character) any AoE investments seem like useless.

In order to make the skill pleasant to use (as for my taste) the build should have no more than 200%ms, phasing, 70-120k avg damage per pulse and some deeply reworked Eradicator-like visuals.
Would the beam hits from Static Strike trigger Ruthless? i.e every third beam hit is a Ruthless hit? Or would Ruthless only count the initial hits from Static Strike? The gem considers the beams to be melee attack damage but I am hoping someone has a definitive answer.
[3.4] Hello! I have no idea if y'all still check this forum but I wanted to give it a go. I've been using static strike with a pretty good degree of success so far, since it became available to me at level 12. I think it's a fine rework and I plan to try to use it to down Uber Elder. However, there are some quick tweaks that I think could make this skill have real flow and fun compared to the current version.

Character level: 86
Build: Juggernaut + Elementalist Ascendant + 2H Mace Static Striker
Skill: Static Strike + Melee Phys + Ele Attack + Phys to Light + Light Pen. Consecrated Path for Movement, Ancestral Warchief for Single Target, 2x CWDT to fill the rest of the slots.

REQUEST: Adjust Static Strike to autoselect the nearest valid target when nothing is selected.

REASON:
Spoiler
When playing Static Strike with a large base damage weapon most normal and magic mobs, and even some rare mobs, will die before being able to select them with the cursor and then execute a click to attack. This makes the skill feel clunky and difficult to maintain unless you are fighting beefy rares and bosses. I don't believe the current state of the skill merits the necessity of an ancestral call support, melee splash support, or multistrike support to create this functionality. Compare this to Blade Vortex which arguably scales with greater ease and requires no target.

SUGGEST: Increase AoE - either buff base or add scaling to # of static strike charges. Increase maximum amount of static strike charges and reduce beam frequency per buff stack to match.

REASON:
Spoiler
Currently the base AoE feels puny (but viable enough). I think the skill would be in an alright place without changing the but a buff would smoothen out the gameplay. Changes to maximum charges are suggested because it currently does not feel rewarding to reach max charges. You either get to one for clearing purposes, or you almost always get to 3 on bosses and healthy rares. Scaling for taking the risk of standing still and building charges vs running around with a low amount of charges should be added to give more depth to the gameplay.

Thanks for taking the time, whoever might read this.

EDIT: And now that I think about it, the request would fit in thematically, on account of a static attack should have some degree of attraction to other objects!
Last edited by entityUser on Sep 2, 2018, 3:42:11 PM
Am I right in thinking the beams aren't melee damage, so passives like "25% increased Melee Critical Strike Chance" won't affect them?
"
Am I right in thinking the beams aren't melee damage, so passives like "25% increased Melee Critical Strike Chance" won't affect them?

Support the skill with life gain on hit and see what happens :)
"
eralduspr wrote:
This is gonna be nerfed so hard...

Real question time... why?
Have you played a build with it?

1) without chain its wave clearing is too weak.
2) minions will kill steal, the occasion monster you need to attack to keep the stacks going.

solutions:
a) "chain" support (now 6 -> 18 nearby targets attacked, short range)
This helps abit with wave clear, and you have the option to swap it out on bosses. It still doesnt feel great though.

b) Melee splash, this means your now playing it like any other melee skill. Only its base damage isnt that high, and why arnt you useing something like Smite with buildt in melee splash instead then?

c) Cast on Crit + Spell (arc)
This is by far the best wave clear, Ive found from the skill.
It "feels" like this is the ONLY way to make Static strike work. Wihtout coc+arc it doesnt feel good to play static strike. But then the questioin is.... why are you useing static strike instead of say cyclone? if its coc+arc that carries you with wave clearing?

d) dont use minions with it.

I think static strike is abit weak atm.
Maybe Im not playing it "right" but Ive leveled 3 characters into the 50-60 range, and tried various ways to make static strike work, and it takes alot of effort to get a good result in my opinion.

Its "weaker" than just playing Frost blades + multistrike, I feel like.
The only reason Im useing this skill is because Im too stubborn to admit defeat, and watched Thor - Ragnarok not that long ago, I wanted a character that could do that.

------------------------------------------------

"Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback."

Level 54 assassin.
Wrath ("more" arc dmg) + Herald of Ice (aoe shattering)

5 power charges, 5 frenzy charges.
Terminus Est (2h)

6link body armor
1 Static Strike
2 Multistrike (not optimal but easy charges)
3 Ice Bite (your arc can Freeze)
4 Increased Critical Damage(benefits both arc + static strike)
5 Cast on Crit (its needed for wave clearing)
6 Arc (prefered spell)

with about 60% crit rate.
Wave clearing feels pretty good... like this static strike is viable, but by no means overpowered. Damage feels abit on the low side (single target wise). To overcome this I use a Vaal Warchief totem set for bosses.
Last edited by Arkadrel on Sep 4, 2018, 6:52:22 AM
"
Olsvik wrote:
Would the beam hits from Static Strike trigger Ruthless? i.e every third beam hit is a Ruthless hit? Or would Ruthless only count the initial hits from Static Strike? The gem considers the beams to be melee attack damage but I am hoping someone has a definitive answer.

I dont think Ruthless works with the beams.
Im not 100%, but Id go with another support gem than ruthless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info