[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Wondering what kind of success people have had with this in Onslaught if they've tried it there?
"
bartram wrote:
Wondering what kind of success people have had with this in Onslaught if they've tried it there?

I think that many pages back there was one user who did Onslaught with this build.

I have not as I am sticking with my original character.

I don't think there would be many melee builds preferable for the task as survival is paramount. Obviously player skill comes into play much more in hardcore, with any build.

Most people would argue that a ranged build would be better for hardcore due to the added safety of distance.

Personally I enjoy melee!
Hello Sovyn, been looking through your builds and having a lvl 21 tanky templar now. Loving it! Will need to quickly get to Resolute Strikes as I lose too much dps if I start missing (and the damage from 1H isn't that impressive yet anyway).

Quick question: Must my shield have ES? Looks like it since you have put passives into 'increased ES from shields'. I currently have a good pure armour shield (67 armour at my level with 30% block), am self-found. Is it worth getting those passives then? What can I expect gearwise in the later levels?
"
bartram wrote:

Gonna try that soon, atm i play HC with this build. And its kinda safe except for playing after a party in the middle of the night or talking with someone and playing at the same time...

Guess i would have to use some kind of a totem and fire/beartraps more since its more deadly then HC.
In HC its rushing through levels, are 42 now with 61/65% block, 45-50% evade, 50-75% resists. Using tempest shield with blind+chance to flee since they where collecting dust in the stash. Its both fun and annoying to see ranged mobs run away when i block. Now i just need to find me more 4-L gear so i can add reduced mana to it. Boring info about chance to flee, is that it dont work on things that i dont kill in one hit, ie more or less only works on white trash mobs so far.
Did start leveling with dualwield ele-cleave, did switch when its time to kill piety, (was then i found a good shield). Following the build (more or less) just not using a shield in the start since with some hprings+belt i did feel safe to just do damage and use hp-pot.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
Hello Sovyn, been looking through your builds and having a lvl 21 tanky templar now. Loving it! Will need to quickly get to Resolute Strikes as I lose too much dps if I start missing (and the damage from 1H isn't that impressive yet anyway).

Quick question: Must my shield have ES? Looks like it since you have put passives into 'increased ES from shields'. I currently have a good pure armour shield (67 armour at my level with 30% block), am self-found. Is it worth getting those passives then? What can I expect gearwise in the later levels?

Hi, armor/eva is much better on the shield then ES imo. I cant find the nodes you are talking about early in the tree. What attack skill are you using? I use lightning strike with weapon elemental damage, and it does alot of damage with a fast dagger with some elemental damage or atm high phys. If you think you are safe, change defensive aura/tempest shield for some offensive aura (anger, hatred or wrath) while clearing easy parts. If you find some traps (fire/bear) you can have alot of fun just planting them down and let the mobs die while they try to hit you.
If you are doing elemental damage and think you are taking almost no damage, look at the first 4-5 nodes on the right part of our tree, but if you are self-found i guess it can be hard to get regret orbs to retrain later.
"
Hierokliff wrote:
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

Hi, armor/eva is much better on the shield then ES imo. I cant find the nodes you are talking about early in the tree. What attack skill are you using? I use lightning strike with weapon elemental damage, and it does alot of damage with a fast dagger with some elemental damage or atm high phys. If you think you are safe, change defensive aura/tempest shield for some offensive aura (anger, hatred or wrath) while clearing easy parts. If you find some traps (fire/bear) you can have alot of fun just planting them down and let the mobs die while they try to hit you.
If you are doing elemental damage and think you are taking almost no damage, look at the first 4-5 nodes on the right part of our tree, but if you are self-found i guess it can be hard to get regret orbs to retrain later.

:D Guess Sovyn has a few helpers around adding their knowledge as well!

It's in the upper left part of the tree, next to Bulwark... Nevermind! Going through Sovyn's latest builds I saw he did not put in those ES nodes anymore. His 40 point build had it (maybe cuz he was using a shield with ES).

I am using heavy strike with added fire damage and added lightning damage at the moment for 1v1s. Glacial hammer and lightning strike are basically sub skills which I use when a particular boss is resistant to certain damages (plus, Glacial Hammer slows bosses down). Ice Nova for mob control coupled with Ground Slam makes for a good kiting combo. I run Tempest Shield, with Molten Shell thrown in when I take too many at once. Shield charge to get in and out of groups (no Leap Atk yet). I will play around with Bear Traps and see how it goes (have 2 lying in stash).

Problem with my skills, I eat too much mana. Have to either transfer some gear from my other Templar (somewhat aborted 2H elemental one) but kinda lacking in level to use, or play smart on my skills (I technically don't have a normal atk. My left button is tied to heavy strike :P )

With 43% blocking (on char sheet) I know I am still a little too low level for this build to shine. However, I did notice that I have better survivability compared to my 2H ele templar, just that in the end I use up the same amount of pots as my char kills a bit too slow.

Oh well, gotta farm a bit more gear then. Thanks for the help Hiero :D

Editted: Forgot to ask. Bandit quest for normal level (+40hp/+40mana/+res) which one is the best for this build? Please don't tell me mana as I already killed that woman. ><
Last edited by Xiaoyen on Jul 22, 2013, 3:12:57 AM
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

:D Guess Sovyn has a few helpers around adding their knowledge as well!

It's in the upper left part of the tree, next to Bulwark... Nevermind! Going through Sovyn's latest builds I saw he did not put in those ES nodes anymore. His 40 point build had it (maybe cuz he was using a shield with ES).

I am using heavy strike with added fire damage and added lightning damage at the moment for 1v1s. Glacial hammer and lightning strike are basically sub skills which I use when a particular boss is resistant to certain damages (plus, Glacial Hammer slows bosses down). Ice Nova for mob control coupled with Ground Slam makes for a good kiting combo. I run Tempest Shield, with Molten Shell thrown in when I take too many at once. Shield charge to get in and out of groups (no Leap Atk yet). I will play around with Bear Traps and see how it goes (have 2 lying in stash).

Problem with my skills, I eat too much mana. Have to either transfer some gear from my other Templar (somewhat aborted 2H elemental one) but kinda lacking in level to use, or play smart on my skills (I technically don't have a normal atk. My left button is tied to heavy strike :P )

With 43% blocking (on char sheet) I know I am still a little too low level for this build to shine. However, I did notice that I have better survivability compared to my 2H ele templar, just that in the end I use up the same amount of pots as my char kills a bit too slow.

Oh well, gotta farm a bit more gear then. Thanks for the help Hiero :D

Editted: Forgot to ask. Bandit quest for normal level (+40hp/+40mana/+res) which one is the best for this build? Please don't tell me mana as I already killed that woman. ><

Welcome! Nope, never had any ES nodes or items. I recommend a high evasion shield with 32% chance to block. You are looking at Hammered Buckler / Corrugated Buckler / Vaal Buckler as you level up. Get them with a bonus to block if you can. Life is nice too of course.

The rest of your gear will be straight armor, but one or two evasion / armor hybrid pieces is OK too.

For mana trouble, the key is to do as much physical damage as you can. Heavy Strike with Melee Physical Damage support is good for this. Once you are doing some good physical damage you can use a mana leech item to have your mana pop right back up when you swing. Eventually this will be enough and you can be like me and chain your skill with only 50 mana (rest is reserved) and no mana flasks. However, early on you will need mana flasks to supplement.

You want the 40 HP in normal, so side with Oak. In Cruel I'd get the point, but Oak is fine too. Merciless, get the point (kill 'em all).

Sounds like you have a good start there, keep it up!
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 22, 2013, 3:39:11 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
Welcome! Nope, never had any ES nodes or items. I recommend a high evasion shield with 32% chance to block. You are looking at Hammered Buckler / Corrugated Buckler / Vaal Buckler as you level up. Get them with a bonus to block if you can. Life is nice too of course.

The rest of your gear will be straight armor, but one or two evasion / armor hybrid pieces is OK too.

For mana trouble, the key is to do as much physical damage as you can. Heavy Strike with Melee Physical Damage support is good for this. Once you are doing some good physical damage you can use a mana leech item to have your mana pop right back up when you swing. Eventually this will be enough and you can be like me and chain your skill with only 50 mana (rest is reserved) and no mana flasks. However, early on you will need mana flasks to supplement.

You want the 40 HP in normal, so side with Oak. In Cruel I'd get the point, but Oak is fine too. Merciless, get the point (kill 'em all).

Sounds like you have a good start there, keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

For the sake of debate:

Why not resist? You can basically skip some resist nodes (it gives 8% i think?) in order to get other passives. Mana would be a joke, seeing what you say, with this build just having mana leech items and/or gem will be sufficient for chains without needing a pot. I was about to say resist scales to dmg and hp does not, then I recalled you had about 200+% boost to hp hence 40 hp will translate to more than 80 (120?) hp right there. Would the scaling be enough though? I heard it gets rough for maps and merci stage in terms of elemental dmg (plus their respective debuffs to your elemental resists)

Thoughts? Hoping to add a bit more feedback to perfect the build (which has heaps of potential imo)

Edit: Multistrike is a pain to get self found. Most tell me you can find it at lvl 50ish areas, which mean I can only effectively spam Heavy Strike once I get there. Melee Splash is another option, but having the -% to dmg done is irritating on bosses. Should I then swap to Lightning Strike/Glacial Hammer when going up against bosses then? Heavy mana use and bosses don't recharge my pots fast enough.

Does Melee Splash work with Lightning Strike then? May give a better bang for my buck rather than Ice Nova spams... Maybe I will test it out and let you guys know.
Last edited by Xiaoyen on Jul 22, 2013, 4:47:13 AM
I use lightning strike with some kind of aoe support (LMP, chain, fork) whatever i can find. It is awesome for nuking trash. and when i face a boss i switch lmp/chain/fork to faster attacks. All depends on gear, gems and links.
currently i use LS+mana leech+fork+weapon elemental damage since i found a 4L RRGG helmet. If you can find a quality LS gem, it helps some since then LS gets a nice chance to pierce. I did find a q13 before and miss that gem now...Fork is great on certain maps because i can stand behind walls and hit just one mob and it clears the room behind the mob. Havent tested meleesplash with LS, since a fork,chain,lmp does the aoe jobb so great. Multistrike is fun also but dont have any of those anymore.

First bandits i used to select +40HP, but now i go for a passive. And want the passive on cruel also. Maybe a bit worse, but more flexible.

If you have a blue gem slot, get a clarity aura gem, and level it to 3. That solves alot of mana problems. dont go higher on the aura gem because it starts to cost to much.

Atm iam leveling a viper strike gem since one dropped. Gonna nuke bosses with poison and use full block/defensive later, done some testing with it and its fun to go in with a dagger+shield and faster attacks and spam some hits then run away and let them die...
"
Hierokliff wrote:
I use lightning strike with some kind of aoe support (LMP, chain, fork) whatever i can find. It is awesome for nuking trash. and when i face a boss i switch lmp/chain/fork to faster attacks. All depends on gear, gems and links.
currently i use LS+mana leech+fork+weapon elemental damage since i found a 4L RRGG helmet. If you can find a quality LS gem, it helps some since then LS gets a nice chance to pierce. I did find a q13 before and miss that gem now...Fork is great on certain maps because i can stand behind walls and hit just one mob and it clears the room behind the mob. Havent tested meleesplash with LS, since a fork,chain,lmp does the aoe jobb so great. Multistrike is fun also but dont have any of those anymore.

First bandits i used to select +40HP, but now i go for a passive. And want the passive on cruel also. Maybe a bit worse, but more flexible.

If you have a blue gem slot, get a clarity aura gem, and level it to 3. That solves alot of mana problems. dont go higher on the aura gem because it starts to cost to much.

Atm iam leveling a viper strike gem since one dropped. Gonna nuke bosses with poison and use full block/defensive later, done some testing with it and its fun to go in with a dagger+shield and faster attacks and spam some hits then run away and let them die...

Hmm green gems are hard to lvl as they will hit a wall since I don't get much dex at the start. Fork is green, yes? How about chain? Later lvls yes once I start moving into that Leather armor node thing where armor does not give movement penalties. Q13 Lightning Strike... that's worth a lot!

How much hp does 1 +10 strength node give? I could test it out by doing a bit of respeccing, but it's a waste of a respec point imo.

Does the 'level 3' thing apply to all aura gems? I know Sovyn takes the reduced reserved mana thing cuz he runs quite a few (4??) auras. Am just wondering what is a good balance since we are not taking a lot of int nodes, and just having too much int on armor is crazy as we may as well roll a CI build.

I have 3 VS, one of them superior. Problem with that is the same reason as having any green gem, the lvling is gonna be stopped in it's tracks once you hit the max dex you have.

Is it worth going endurance + immortal? I have both, not sure if I should run it. :P As Sovyn said though, his thread is about being lazy, so looking at skill spamming and timer watching seems too much work hahaha.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info