[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
shAd122 wrote:
Hello,

First thank you very much for this newbie friendly guide. Iam a veteran diablo 1-3 player, but in poe iam absolutly new. Iam very impressed by the possibilities here. But at my experience lvl this is also the biggest problem. ;)

Ive tried to build my templar like you explained. It works but sometimes i die a lot. Can you take a look? Do i make any big mistake?

Skills used:
Infernal blow for area DMG
Heavy strike for single DPS
Tempest shield as aura
(Wrath inactive because not enough mana with it)
Other skillgems equipt will be not used. Only equipt because oft testing.

Passives - click

Equipe:
Spoiler

Thanks for taking a look :)

Sorry can't help you too much with your equipment or skill.
You can use a fusing to have a double link, then link Faster Attacks to Infernal Blow.
If you need help on basics, like what's a fusing, pm me and I'll help you gladly.

When ever your ready to use Perandus Pinnacle shield, change to it.

I died a lot of times with my first character. You have to learn your limits, you'll do it, that's all.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
"
shAd122 wrote:
Hello,

First thank you very much for this newbie friendly guide. Iam a veteran diablo 1-3 player, but in poe iam absolutly new. Iam very impressed by the possibilities here. But at my experience lvl this is also the biggest problem. ;)

Ive tried to build my templar like you explained. It works but sometimes i die a lot. Can you take a look? Do i make any big mistake?

Welcome, I am glad you found the guide useful. :)

I'd say it is still too early to tell. You are not level 20 yet, so the build has not begun to have any effect. You could be playing any build at this point and it would not make any difference. :) This is due to the small number of passive skill points you have so far.

I would encourage you to persist, PoE has a lot to offer. It is a hard game, but having played Diablo 2 extensively, I can tell you PoE is really not much harder once you adapt to the particular "gotchas" that PoE has.

You will need life on everything. As much as you can get.

You will need a high physical damage weapon.
"
kahoraho wrote:
Yeah we knowed you want Reduced Mana to pop up another aura, you're aura addicted. ;p
But I still think the bottom path is more useful in most situations. one point less invested, no need to go through the armour nodes if you don't want, you can pull some block nodes to replace Bulwark..

OK, lower path it is. We can get by fine without the 10 extra intelligence. Purity only requires 96 at level 20.

New tentative 11.2 build

It's the same number of points though. 3 either way.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 18, 2013, 1:44:19 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
I'll follow up with a build following the above tentative build with the smallest number of points that maxes out block. We will then see if it's worse than the guide build in that regard.

I think the 90 point build will be fine - see here for example. Max block and still plenty of life nodes.

It's the 60 point build that concerns me. It would have 4% less block than the bulwark scenario would. Of course, folks could get around that by temporarily placing points in other block nodes, but I'd hate to get into telling people to respec at certain levels in the guide - it's just not elegant.

I'll reconsider eliminating bulwark.
Can you stack shock with tempest shield if you have taken RT and not taken static blows?
"
almostdead wrote:
Can you stack shock with tempest shield if you have taken RT and not taken static blows?

You can't critic, so you can't shock.
Except if you pull Static Blows or something similar - if it exists.

I think Elemental Proliferation + Tempest Shield is an evil idea, once you have Static Blows.
"
kahoraho wrote:
"
almostdead wrote:

You can't critic, so you can't shock.
Except if you pull Static Blows or something similar - if it exists.

I think Elemental Proliferation + Tempest Shield is an evil idea, once you have Static Blows.

I'll probably eliminate static blows from the official build - would be fine as a variation of course. However, I would not take it unless you do some good lightning damage as I do (with 80 lightning damage on my weapon plus wrath).
Here's the new tentative 11.2 build - click

It's basically the same as the build in the guide, except I traded 10% less mana reserved in place of static blows. It has a little more life, but less fire resist. A little bit more defense from shield. A little less intelligence but a little more strength.

If anyone sees a way to improve it without losing anything, please let me know!

Here's the stats:

+342 to Strength
+184 to Dexterity
+72 to Intelligence

222% increased maximum Life
+72 to maximum Life
5.4% of Life Regenerated per Second
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched back as Life

10% reduced Mana Reserved
8% increased maximum Mana

57% increased Melee Physical Damage
66% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
16% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
27% increased Attack Speed

34% additional Shield Block Chance
120% increased Defences from equipped Shield
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
40% increased Block Recovery

+2% to maximum Fire Resistance
+2% to maximum Cold Resistance
+2% to maximum Lightning Resistance
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
+24% to all Elemental Resistances

You take 30% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes
52% increased Armour
32% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 18, 2013, 5:02:34 PM
So after another HC killed templar ive taken a few days break. Smashing the keyboard with my puny fists didnt hurt it as much as it did hurt my ego to get upset of another death :-)

so far this build makes me unbeatable vs spells and projectils. first death was my stupidity to face kole and he oneshot me.
2nd time i was stunlocked vs a rare while he beat the crap out of me. atleast thats what i think happened, could have been a lite bit more focused on the game. Anyway i see now that with the last buildexample you have put a 1% block +40% recovery. After reading a bit, it seems that block recovery would help alot vs melee? Or is it better to grab more armor %

question after all the rambling,
1. Is it better to take 2%block or do the +40block recovery help? Ive never had any stun/block recovery on my gear.
2. Do projectiles really hurt so much its worth getting ondar's gule? I havent got that far yet with this build to try it. Meleemobs seems to be my problem...
"
Hierokliff wrote:

question after all the rambling,
1. Is it better to take 2%block or do the +40block recovery help? Ive never had any stun/block recovery on my gear.
2. Do projectiles really hurt so much its worth getting ondar's gule? I havent got that far yet with this build to try it. Meleemobs seems to be my problem...

Come on, you want to play in SC, but you haven't realized yet. LOL

It was one of my 1st question about a block. Do we need block recovery?.
I can say I don't have any problem with being stunned. But I started this build when my character was level 60, more or less, so I don't know if it's a problem on low level.

Do you have problems with gangs? Use enfeeble curse, preferably before you go stun locked. LOL

Some people would prefer not getting Ondar's, some people enjoy it.
I know it's awesome at low levels. Unfortunately you are a templar and you'll take it on late game.
So don't care too much until you get there. Then you'll be able to decide if you want to avoid more projectiles or another utility.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info