[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Hierokliff wrote:

1. Is it better to take 2%block or do the +40block recovery help? Ive never had any stun/block recovery on my gear.

I had a few death due to block recovery when I was around lvl 50-60 in act 2-3 Merciless (cyclone+desynch in pach of mods+unable to shield charge away because of block recovery) and I aked myself the same question.
But now at lvl 78 with 11k armor (0 evasion) and 3k life I have absolutely no problem cycloning (even whith desynch) in pack of white or blue physical mobs. I almost never get a block animation.

So I would say it's nice to have some block recovery at low lvl, but if you go tanky you can reallocate this passive.
"
Jhonnyboy wrote:
"
Hierokliff wrote:

1. Is it better to take 2%block or do the +40block recovery help? Ive never had any stun/block recovery on my gear.

I had a few death due to block recovery when I was around lvl 50-60 in act 2-3 Merciless (cyclone+desynch in pach of mods+unable to shield charge away because of block recovery) and I aked myself the same question.
But now at lvl 78 with 11k armor (0 evasion) and 3k life I have absolutely no problem cycloning (even whith desynch) in pack of white or blue physical mobs. I almost never get a block animation.

So I would say it's nice to have some block recovery at low lvl, but if you go tanky you can reallocate this passive.

info from http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stun & http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Blocking

stun/block chance?
stun_chance = 200 * damage / defender_effective_max_life

so with 1K hp the mobs need to do 500+ in damage to have 100% stun chance.
And damage below 1000*12,5%=125damage it is ignored for stun/block check
(Is that after armor/resists or before?)
If its after i guess armor gets more intresting for me since i useally get me evasion gear.

Block duration
Block Duration = 350 / ( 1 + Block and Stun Recovery + Block Recovery )ms

With 3k life and high phys reduction i guess it would be almost impossible for you to get stunned, (if armor/resists helps?)
Block recovery is useful but not required. I take the 1%/40recovery node as I assume the player will have a 32% buckler with the "of walling" affix after 60ish. 5% is the middle value (range 4-6). So, 37% on the shield.

37% + 4% for tempest. That's 41. So 75 (the maximum block) minus 41 .... that's 34% we need on the tree.

Getting a 2% node would be overkill. So, why not get the 1% with block recovery. Can't hurt, although it's a minor stat for us. Why, you ask? Because you can ignore the fact that you have a shield hanging from your arm for this statistic! Stuns only happen when you are hit really hard and would have been stunned anyway if you were 2-hand or DW or a freaking wand user - it doesn't matter. Your advantage is when you see that animation, you took no damage, you blocked the blow, whereas those other builds got smashed. Almost all blocks are 'free' - no stun/recovery animation! This is because most hits won't hit you hard enough to cause a stun since you are a life based character.

I have lots of block/stun recovery on my gear, just by chance. I've noticed it once or twice when fighting brutus/kole and clones, but that's it. The harder you get hit, the higher the chance. With all my block/stun recovery it's maybe a quarter of a second. Hardly worth mentioning. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 19, 2013, 1:22:33 PM
"
Hierokliff wrote:

2. Do projectiles really hurt so much its worth getting ondar's gule? I havent got that far yet with this build to try it. Meleemobs seems to be my problem...

You will get hit about 8% less with projectiles if you take Ondar's. That's a big deal in maps filled with ranged attackers.
"
Sovyn wrote:
Here's the new tentative 11.2 build - click

It's basically the same as the build in the guide, except I traded 10% less mana reserved in place of static blows. It has a little more life, but less fire resist. A little bit more defense from shield. A little less intelligence but a little more strength.

If anyone sees a way to improve it without losing anything, please let me know!

[snip]

Yay - happy to see Bulwark is back. Was trying to decide if I was going to use regrets on it and now I don't have to.
"
dfscott wrote:

Yay - happy to see Bulwark is back. Was trying to decide if I was going to use regrets on it and now I don't have to.

Bulwark makes the most sense for leveling.

I think you can see why I went with a slightly different build initially:

+362 to Strength
+204 to Dexterity
+112 to Intelligence

224% increased maximum Life
+60 to maximum life

126% increased Melee Physical Damage

VS.

+342 to Strength
+184 to Dexterity
+72 to Intelligence

222% increased maximum Life
+72 to maximum Life

123% increased Melee Physical Damage

+2% to maximum Fire Resistance
+2% to maximum Cold Resistance
+2% to maximum Lightning Resistance

But, close enough.
All right everyone, the guide in the original post is now updated for patch 11.2. Enjoy. :)
good job on the skill tree update :)

Thanks for your earlier advice, it was really helpful :) .I was able to pick multistrike and grace and they really do their job. I replaced my added fire gem with multistrike which raised my DPS (lvl4 multistrike offered same DPS as lvl 14 fire gem lol) and gave me AoE DMG. Grace trippled my evasion and doubled Evasion Chance.

Last edited by Dooobs on Jul 20, 2013, 9:46:43 AM
"
Dooobs wrote:

Thanks for your earlier advice, it was really helpful :) .I was able to pick multistrike and grace and they really do their job. I replaced my added fire gem with multistrike which raised my DPS (lvl4 multistrike offered same DPS as lvl 14 fire gem lol) and gave me AoE DMG. Grace trippled my evasion and doubled Evasion Chance.

I'm glad. :)

Those two gems are some of the best we can get IMHO.
I decided it was high time to update my gear on the second post of this thread since it has been so long.

Quite a few small changes.

My helmet was replaced with one that I crafted.

The sockets and links on my chest were changed.

Most of the gems were re-arranged.

Hatred was added in.

Belt was changed out.

Sockets and links were added to my weapon and enfeeble enabled.

One of the life flasks was replaced.

Maybe something I'm forgetting!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info