[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Trefenwyd69 wrote:
Hello Sovyn and all,

I have found some inspiration in this thread and have a few questions if anyone has time...

Mana regen. I currently use one 2% mana leech ring, which does ok on keeping my very small mana pool refilled (combined with a lvl 3 clarity) on group of mobs where melee splash is doing good enough dmg to compensate for the low physical portion of Infernal Blow. I sometimes get mana starved on single-target bosses. (I keep a heavy strike in my bag for these). I had a mana leech gem instead of faster attacks, but I was swinging way too slow - I'm concerned that as I upgrade to 5L or 6L, the added mana drain will make it impossible to run Infernal Blow, and that I'll have to run a physical attack instead (even with 4% physical leech). Assuming that Infernal Blow will cost 45 mana/swing once upgraded and linked, does anyone have any experience or advice on being able to maintain it without a mana leech gem? If that's not possible, I may have to ditch Infernal Blow and run a Heavy Strike/melee splash build, but that's not as appealing to me...

Stuns were absolutely killing me awhile ago. I got a little more HP on my gear and it's not as big of an issue anymore, but that could easily change if the mobs get harder (which they will). For reasons stated in this guide, I would love to NOT take Unwavering Stance, however stuns have probably led to 90% of my Merciless deaths... How my HP do I need to avoid taking Unwavering Stance and clear high level maps without big stun problems?

Lastly, physical dmg reduction. The reason I run molten shell (10% more) and determination (5% more) is for the added armor they give. I realize that I still have on whatever gear I found while leveling, and that the armor value is probably lacking. Without endurance charges, however, how high are y'all getting your phys dmg reduction, b/c this and stuns are my biggest problems surviving atm.

Again, I've got my 14 respec pts and 7 new passive pts waiting to spend. Just need some feedback to decide where to put them before I go gear shopping and hit maps! Thanks for your inputs,

Tref

Howdy and welcome!

1) Mana issues - 45 is too much - my attack uses 25 tops. Worse, the Infernal Blow won't leech much as it's fire damage for the most part. And, melee splash is a hog. So I can see why you are having mana trouble. Bottom line - do more physical damage for less mana cost than what you have. Alternative: link blood magic support gem to attack skill. Consider trying leveled up heavy strike + multistrike + melee physical damage + stun or blind. You will be able to chain it even without clarity. And it does pretty good damage.

2) stuns - your life is a bit low, with 2650 life I don't notice any stuns / block animations. See my videos. I do have some block and stun recovery on my gear just by accident. And 40 on the tree. Get some decent life on every gear piece and you will be fine. Roll good white pieces with alterations if you have to. I see plenty of pieces with 80 life on them if I do that. It will get you by for now.

3) Damage reduction - 20% is a good target value for this build - I think I'm around there. I don't have any amazing armor, see my gear in the original posts. I don't use molten shell or granite flasks or endurance charges. (These would have to be coupled with a blood magic support gem.) I do maps just fine. Up to you if you want to work at things. :) I rely on not getting hit much.
"
Dwarg wrote:
Hello! I run the lazy pally build with infernal blow. I just dinged L83 yesterday and like you, I really just enjoy watching the entire room blow up with a few well-timed hits. :) I'm not a major number cruncher and I have deviated from Sovyn's build a little. The ranger tree rebalanced actually brought my build closer to Sovyn's build.

Some key statistics:

Block: 74% (not max yet. need one more level)
Dodge: 28% with grace
Armor: 11K (55% reduction)
IB DPS: ~10K (anger, hatred, haste)

Nice stats! I take it you are not self found? :)

In any event, keep us posted on your progress.
"
Trefenwyd69 wrote:
4% physical leech

4% on one item requires itemlevel 74+ FYI. Pretty hard to get yourself unless you are in a mapping group. Will be more common toward the end of the year when act 3 is expanded.

You can possibly trade for the finished item or a base item that is high enough that you can roll with alterations. Or, just use two 2% items.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Dwarg wrote:
Hello! I run the lazy pally build with infernal blow. I just dinged L83 yesterday and like you, I really just enjoy watching the entire room blow up with a few well-timed hits. :) I'm not a major number cruncher and I have deviated from Sovyn's build a little. The ranger tree rebalanced actually brought my build closer to Sovyn's build.

Some key statistics:

I am definitely not self found and I really applaud those of you that do. As much as I hate the whole trading scene, I do find that with a bit of persistence, it pays out tremendously. In my earlier post, you had recommended looking for a shield with over 1K in evasion. However, I kept finding shield with armor. Finally, I found an almost perfect Lioneye's Remorse and the seller was nice enough to let me have it for a decent price. That basically bumped up my armor a lot since it ended up being over 2000 in AR once I upgraded it to 20%
Wow this is one of the best guides I have ever seen/read in a game period. I read every page from 1-58 and will probably read onward as well. You tack on the "lazy" title, but it's so much more than that. The fact that this guide is being constantly updated and questions are being answered for this long a period is quite amazing to me. The way you present your guide is very casual and easy to understand. I love how you give the player options for what skill gems to use and lets us as players be creative. Way too many of these other guides just force you to run their build exactly down to the letter and it creates a sense of their guides being a chore. Excellent work on your guide, Sir. I am quite literally blushing at the moment and I'm a dude lol.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

Why not resist?

The resist bandit reward is a waste because this build has 44% elemental resists on the tree and purity aura. The remaining resist needed to cap you out will be acquired easily on gear.

Gotcha. Thank god they gave an option to 'change my mind' on Kaitlyn and I have not reached Oak yet. Was checking on global chat on the resist cap but no answers. :(

I see what you mean though. The only node you can 'sacrifice' not taking if you take the resistance for bandit reward is Elemental Adaptation. Diamond Skin is 12% and Elemental Resistance with Shields are 10% each. The 8% from the rewards are not sufficient to cover and with just 1 extra skill point you won't be hitting a node which gives a lot of functionality over 40hp.
Been trying this build for 69 leveles and I love it.

I have modified some things. I chose Aegis Aurora as my shield, and I'm almost impossible to kill with melee damage, since with so much block (75%) I'm always replenishing my energy shield, and I also pick rainbowstride and stone of Lazhwar to block spells in caster heavy areas. Only things able to kill me are damage auras (since I can't block them) and very unlucky one shots from hard hitting mobs (kole).

As for my attacks, I keep leveling glacial hammer, infernal blow and lightning strike, and adapt to the prominent resistance in the current area. I also use heavy strike and ground slam, both on 4 links. I don't have mana problems with Wurm's Molt, but I find my dps is low, with heavy strike displaying around 5000 damage in game.

I can't find a better weapon, and have been using this
for more than 10 levels.

Since I did get stunned often, I had to take unwavering stance, and abandon all evasion nodes (wasting a lot of dex nodes in the process), but I do agree that the revamped ranger area improved a lot of nodes for this build.

Anyway, I'm taking too long to say this build is not only VERY good for new players, but very adaptable for all kinds of players. The only thing that I think could be improved from this guide is some kind of "hand-holding" suggestions for attack gems, their support gems, and how to pick a good weapon to support it.

GREAT JOB!!!
In-Game Name: Rikkum or AriesShion

My spanish blog / Mi blog en español: http://gaminglatino.blogspot.com/
Still plugging along -- now I'm 42 in Act 2 Cruel and starting to run into some trouble. I'm not sure if it's gear, or gem setup. I've recently created what seems to be a pretty good weapon:

But even with 4% mana leech, I'm having mana problems. I think it's due to trying to run HS+MPD+Splash. Splash is a hog and is killing my leech, but if I drop it, I worry about not having an area attack. I used IB earlier, but ran into mana problems there due to so much elemental. (I suppose I could try a mana leech gem).

But enough whining -- I actually have two real questions:

1) What priority do you put on auras? I'm currently running Grace w/ BM (but can't level it past 2 due to dex) and then Determination and Tempest Shield on mana (which leaves little for attacks). I'm debating on dropping Det, but I notice when I don't have it up, so I'm a bit worried to drop it.

2) When do you start crafting your own gear? Most advice says to wait until end-game to actually craft anything, but I'm finding some decently linked armor that seems that it might be worth crafting, even early on. For example:

I can see that fitting my HS+MPD+FA+something-else-red quite nicely!

Should I roll the dice on something like this or will I outlevel it too soon and should wait for a better rare to just drop? Oh, and I'm playing self-found, so obviously I can't be too picky.
Last edited by dfscott on Jul 23, 2013, 4:55:34 PM
"
Dwarg wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Dwarg wrote:

Some key statistics:

I am definitely not self found and I really applaud those of you that do. As much as I hate the whole trading scene, I do find that with a bit of persistence, it pays out tremendously. In my earlier post, you had recommended looking for a shield with over 1K in evasion. However, I kept finding shield with armor. Finally, I found an almost perfect Lioneye's Remorse and the seller was nice enough to let me have it for a decent price. That basically bumped up my armor a lot since it ended up being over 2000 in AR once I upgraded it to 20%

You have 28% evasion still, which is fine. I thought you might be using Lioneye's with all that armor. Congrats. :) I am sorry if I don't recall, but I hope you still have max block. :) Only takes a few more nodes to do it with Lioneye's, it would be well worth it IMHO and you would always have the option of getting the new unique amber amulet as a trader if you don't want to use the nodes on the skill tree. Going that way you lose some spell block but it's still a nice option.

In any case, thanks for posting back.
"
idrageri wrote:
Excellent work on your guide, Sir. I am quite literally blushing at the moment and I'm a dude lol.

That makes two of us. Thanks for the praise!

I agree that it is great to have some choice built in. :)

One can play this lazy like me with just auras or even build it out with more active skills.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info