[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Widgetworks wrote:
Currently I am using Melee Damage + Double Strike + Melee Splash + Reduced Mana, which seems to be doing extremely well with group mobs. I'm trying to go the Heavy Strike route that you've gone, Sovyn, but I don't seem to be getting the life leech that I need to be able to stay alive.

Right now I'm at 39% dmg reduction, 65% on all resistances, 70% attack block, 43% spell block.

What is the pivoting point of taking significantly less damage so that I can switch?

Life Leech barely makes any difference for me. It's there, but subtle.

All of the defensive stats you mentioned can be raised a little. It's likely as you did not mention your chance to evade that that needs work.

Here are my stats again, with junk gear:

Match that with your two auras running and you won't have any survival issues (with enough life and encounter-specific know-how, of course). :)

Also bear in mind there is nothing seriously wrong with double strike, if that works well for you, stay with it. One of the nice things about the build is you can choose whatever attack skill you like.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 8, 2013, 3:01:04 PM
"
QuizTIC wrote:
How are you getting enough DEX to use a Tomahawk?

I am level 43 and I have only 37 DEX. (23 of that is from necklace)

I took the Precision node temporarily right at the Templar start. If you can find non-dex leveling weapons that are as good, you won't need the Precision node. You will be able to use any weapon except wands and maybe some high daggers/claws in the endgame as our stats are pretty balanced.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 8, 2013, 3:13:43 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:

Life Leech barely makes any difference for me. It's there, but subtle.

All of the defensive stats you mentioned can be raised a little. It's likely as you did not mention your chance to evade that that needs work.

Here are my stats again, with junk gear:

Match that with your two auras running and you won't have any survival issues (with enough life and encounter-specific know-how, of course). :)

Also bear in mind there is nothing seriously wrong with double strike, if that works well for you, stay with it. One of the nice things about the build is you can choose whatever attack skill you like.

Does evade apply to phys attacks and spells? I seem to have the most trouble with spells really hitting me hard. Definitely agree with the evade evaluation... I'll have to look at my gear closer.

Double strike is alright, but the heavy strike combo does way more damage and DPS, so I'd rather go with that, for the long run.

Thanks for your help, as always.
Also, I did manage to successfully solo Dominus in Cruel... it wasn't pretty, but I got the job done.
"
Widgetworks wrote:

Does evade apply to phys attacks and spells? I seem to have the most trouble with spells really hitting me hard. Definitely agree with the evade evaluation... I'll have to look at my gear closer.

Double strike is alright, but the heavy strike combo does way more damage and DPS, so I'd rather go with that, for the long run.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Evasion only works with attacks and projectiles, not spells. Resists at 75 makes a huge difference.

Yes, leech is better and stun is nice with heavy strike -- it also penetrates any armoured foes better (which are few, but still, a benefit). Properly supported, same level/quality, they both 'should' do similar DPS though. I do prefer HS personally.

Grats on Cruel Dominus. Most of Merciless is easier than him.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 8, 2013, 6:54:57 PM
Hi fellow lazy pals :)

I'm following this build and have reached act 2 Merciless at level 56.
This was my first melee character so a lot of new stuff to explore.
Just wanted to give some input on my experience of this build. It might not be very thought provoking or original but here goes:

(1) It works. So mission accomplished I suppose :P

(2) Some thoughts on dexterity:

I really struggled a lot in the first 40 levels with this attribute, as basically no points go into it until we get over to the duelist side of the tree. This is not a big issue for hitting mobs due to the neat Resolute Technique keystone, but it IS a problem with regards to equipping gear like my Goldwyrm Nubuck Boots, or even an evasion shield like the guide describes. Now it can be overcome by some decent +dexterity gear or an onyx amulet, but that´s still 2 pieces of suboptimal gear. Or as i did, taking two nodes (+20 dex + 10 accuracy rating) and a +30 dex node and then respeccing out of them again later on as i got dex by following the build.

I am also wondering if the resolute technique node is still required in the late game, as we amass quite a bit of dexterity/accuracy later on. Perhaps the point is better spent elsewhere?

(3) Actually killing stuff:

I find it to be a chore to actually kill stuff using this build. I switched between heavy strike and infernal blow through the first 50 levels, with appropriate support gems like melee splash/melee damage/multistrike. And it was just no fun at all. It was slow and tiresome to kill mobs (compared to the ST scion/FP witches i normally play). And I, like other people who use this build, actually ended up being below the level of the areas I was running in, due to just running past mobs. Instead of enjoying killing them.

The build gives great flexibility with regards to the attack skill, and it´s not fair to blame the build for the dull attack skills for melee (or how i always missed/desynched with heavy strike, despite the resolute technique node)

I have switched to Multistrike Leap Slam for my attack skill now, and it´s more fun but also seems like a weak solution, going from 1750 dps heavy strike to 680 dps leap slam. But despite this, I could still leap slam dominus to death on cruel, thanks to this build. It wasn´t pretty, but hey :D Leap slam has the added benefit of not missing mobs if you are holding down shift or executing some combo of multistrike and hitting only air. So no deaths due to lack of life leech there.

I was hoping some more experienced melee players could give some advice on how to actually kill mobs. Should i be running into a group and then hold down shift and whatever attack skill key i'm using? Or click every mob individually? It seems like a chore and a LOT of micromanaging for a supposedly lazy build. (As opposed to just holding down split arrow on a ranger until everything is dead)

I want to say thanks to the guide creator for this great build, and the very structured/documented presentation of it. It has taught me a lot and allowed me to basically noob my way through a large part of the game.

See you in Wraeclast and may the block% be with you! :)
"
Sovyn wrote:

Evasion only works with attacks and projectiles, not spells. Resists at 75 makes a huge difference.

Yes, leech is better and stun is nice with heavy strike -- it also penetrates any armoured foes better (which are few, but still, a benefit). Properly supported, same level/quality, they both 'should' do similar DPS though. I do prefer HS personally.

Grats on Cruel Dominus. Most of Merciless is easier than him.

Where are you getting all of the evade, anyway? The 400+ evade from your shield is giving you 39%? There isn't much on your boots or gloves at the moment... unless your gear on the first couple of posts is out dated?
"
Chris_DK wrote:
Hi fellow lazy pals :)

I'm following this build and have reached act 2 Merciless at level 56.
This was my first melee character so a lot of new stuff to explore.
Just wanted to give some input on my experience of this build. It might not be very thought provoking or original but here goes:

Chris_DK - thanks for the thoughtful review.

dex - yes, I've mentioned the Precision node many times, but I should probably add it to the FAQ. :)

Resolute Technique - required even end game as we would hit only ~80% of the time without it, which is not going to work for leeching or damage for that matter, since we would have only 5% chance to crit. A ton of points into accuracy would barely help, making RT a great value indeed.

Kill speed - basic gearing issue, a series of leveling weapon upgrades are required to keep the pace up with any 1-hander melee build. I handily kill trash monsters in Lunaris 3 merciless in 1-2 seconds each. That's with low quality self found gear -- many users of the build with good gear they have traded for do 3-5 times my DPS. Since multistrike alternates between all nearby targets, I just click and hold on the highest life monster in a pack and the ones with lower life die off on their own. It's not that hard to just re-click occaisionally. The monster life bars on screen are essential, of course.

A fast, hard-hitting weapon as mentioned in the guide is important.

Or, you can use ground slam or reave if you want a cone AOE.
"
Widgetworks wrote:

Where are you getting all of the evade, anyway? The 400+ evade from your shield is giving you 39%? There isn't much on your boots or gloves at the moment... unless your gear on the first couple of posts is out dated?

The high evasion shield, with the increased defenses from equipped shield we get from the ranger area, and leveled up Grace is all you need. My evade is low actually, many lazy pallies throughout the thread have shown off 1000+ evasion shields and have ridiculous numbers to show. The build is viable with no wealth, but really is amazing with some wealth.
Hey guys, hey Sovyn,

Felt like I had to post here, since this guide was my bible, like many others.
Started PoE about 3 weeks ago, and here I am, level 85 (almost 86§), facerolling maps.

Really solid (and quite flexible) build, which is valid with low gear, and now being more and more interesting as I'm getting better equipment.

Any suggestions are welcome! (I know I should trilink my weapons etc., mainly using it to level up gems for now, might consider recoloring my boots for the second CWDT setup and putting my auras in the weap or the shield, just feeling lazy atm)

I've removed a few block nodes now that I have this BoR beauty, more HP nodes is always nice :)

Btw I'm curious Sovyn, you're playing self found, but are you playing solo? If so, do you manage to sustain a high level map pool? I'm struggling with sustaining a 73+ pool for now, getting harder and harder.

I did trade a bit, mostly to get my BoR asap (Lioneye's Remorse was self found§) but I'm not really interested by this side of the game. I prefer poping map after map, without spending half of my time trading to make some profit and get some more currencies to craft better maps etc.

If you, or anybody, have some tips on this specific topic, that'd be awesome ! :)

Regards

Sucez !

PS: sorry for the typos/bad english, not my mother tongue ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info