[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Played this build out to level 88 right now on Domination and having no problems with most bosses. Jungle Valley Weaver, Temple Piety, Residence Dominus are all skipped fights but that's probably due to lack of total HP and spellblock that comes with gear. I die once in awhile to freaky min max mods and stacked totem/shrine rooms. I think past lvl 60 most of my deaths are not paying to lightning thorns being cast on large melee mobs.

I found a 300+pdps mace and specialized in maces for extra dps, I just got rid of 15-20% of block nodes and am finding that didn't cripple me in any way. I'm using Daresso's Courage unique because it seems there aren't many godly shields, I think the 120% spellblock on low life is amazing though.

I use only groundslam as my attack and it does 6k no buffs. I will hotswap a heavy strike onto my 5LInk for 11kdps if a particular boss has a lot of HP or regen.

Ontop of the standard gem links I also have a second CWDT with EC and Molten Shell so I am proccing even more often.

Thanks for the build Sovyn, didn't steer me wrong.

_Led_

Hey, just posting to thank you for this build. It's working wonderfully for me. I hit level 75 yesterday and I've been just slowly building up my map pool. I feel I'm in a pretty good place right now. It's pretty nice to do quick merciless Piety runs by just running to her as fast as I can and just pummeling her into the ground in 30 seconds. Had 0 trouble with any map bosses so far as well.

I primarily use Double Strike, culling with Leap Slam + IIR and have Flicker Strike for that extra mobility.(I usually run Melee Splash while clearing the map, then switch to Added Fire for the boss.)

Here's my current stats:
Spoiler
~3.4k HP

And gear:
Spoiler

(I found a Soul Taker, sold it for 35ex and splooged some of it on upgrades. Feels good man. Quadrupled my dps!)

I think I need to upgrade that shield to a 36+% block one, which would put me close to capping block. But damn it's hard to find anything decent. (I know, the gems on the shield are pretty useless - part of my ongoing troubles with chromming anything to colours I could use.)

I should probably also double check all my resistances, and switch rings accordingly. Some extra attack would be nice.

Anyway, thanks for the guide!

"
MotnahpX wrote:
Hey guys, hey Sovyn,

Felt like I had to post here, since this guide was my bible, like many others.
Started PoE about 3 weeks ago, and here I am, level 85 (almost 86§), facerolling maps.

Really solid (and quite flexible) build, which is valid with low gear, and now being more and more interesting as I'm getting better equipment.

Hail, Sucez. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post. You gear looks good - except I did not see Determination (I prefer to run both Grace and Determination). Also, you may want to investigate a weapon upgrade for your level. That one is 256 DPS which is around where mine is, but I'm self found so I know you can do better than this. :)

Regarding map drops, that is a known issue with the game that most people have. Sustaining a high map pool can be very hard! It comes down to luck. Sometimes you will find a level 71 map by going a level 70 map, other times you won't find any maps or will only find a 66. :) I try to make sure to get the highest item quantity bonus on a map that I can (that I think I can handle, given I do want to be able to kill the boss). Don't forget you can also vendor three of a particular map for a map one level higher.
"
2rdubyaz wrote:
Played this build out to level 88 right now on Domination and having no problems with most bosses. Jungle Valley Weaver, Temple Piety, Residence Dominus are all skipped fights but that's probably due to lack of total HP and spellblock that comes with gear. I die once in awhile to freaky min max mods and stacked totem/shrine rooms. I think past lvl 60 most of my deaths are not paying to lightning thorns being cast on large melee mobs.

Hail _Led_ :)

Congrats on level 88. :)

I think that max block with a Stone of Lazhwar is very helpful as it provides 47% spell block, which makes a nice difference. When you are down to low life you are vulnerable to other attacks besides spells finishing you off!

I understand why you did it, but I do think max block is important. Perhaps you could get a Bringer of Rain to fill out the block someday.

In any case, glad you have come so far.
"
iluus wrote:
Hey, just posting to thank you for this build. It's working wonderfully for me. I hit level 75 yesterday and I've been just slowly building up my map pool. I feel I'm in a pretty good place right now. It's pretty nice to do quick merciless Piety runs by just running to her as fast as I can and just pummeling her into the ground in 30 seconds. Had 0 trouble with any map bosses so far as well.

Howdy, iluus!

Glad it's working so well for you. :)

Pretty nice weapon.

Maxing block would be ideal of course. If you don't want to trade for a good shield, you can turn in sets of rares to the vendor for 2 chaos per set (don't identify the items) and then hit each Vaal Buckler you find with an alchemy and a chaos if you don't like the first roll. It could get expensive, or you could get lucky. Trading is often cheaper though.

The Horror Whorl ring is not terrible, but maybe you can find something with some physical damage on it.

Best of luck out there!
Finally got my Cast when damage taken gem (been waiting fro it for sooo long).
And with Enduring cry, molten shell, Enfeeble it's like it all comes to gether now, its just awesome.
I'm also running 2 auras, i did get a few aura nodes for the reserved mana reduction, since use all my socket in my 5L for Heavy strike dps (no mana reduction or blood magic).
And it runs okay, just use a mana potion now and then.

Maybe add to your CwDt guide about the gems used, and their levels, cause i assume that the CwDt gem must be lvl 2 in order to use level 8 molten shell ?

Thanks again for your execellent work.
checking your passive tree, I notice you don't take any % regen early, skipping even the very convenient templar 1% node. I'm thinking trying the build in Nemesis as I have very little currency there. But how survivable will it be to level it with no regen?
IGN @ExileProz
"
clogman wrote:

Maybe add to your CwDt guide about the gems used, and their levels, cause i assume that the CwDt gem must be lvl 2 in order to use level 8 molten shell ?

Thanks again for your execellent work.

You bet. Pretty sure I have the level of all of the gems mentioned in there. :)
"
SirJukesAlot wrote:
checking your passive tree, I notice you don't take any % regen early, skipping even the very convenient templar 1% node. I'm thinking trying the build in Nemesis as I have very little currency there. But how survivable will it be to level it with no regen?

Hi there, SirJukesAlot. :)

Regen nodes make little noticeable difference, and it's not hard to get on gear. You will be using flasks more often early on anyway. Go ahead and grab it if you like, it won't hurt anything.

I find the build very survivable when compared with other builds. The game is meant to be hard though so if you have not played through the whole game before I would not start in hardcore as there are plenty of gotchas you need to know about first. This is just general advice, regardless of the build.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 9, 2013, 6:12:52 PM
Wow, I just got back into Path of Exile just a week ago and saw this build. I am so glad that there is a nice melee shield build that is viable in late game. Current at level 25 and struggling a bit with bosses because of how hard they hit, hoping it improves when I get better gear.

Thanks again for sharing the build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info