[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Thanks for the build.

I have a question regarding the gems linked with Cast when damage taken.

Why is it necessary to keep CwDT at level 2, endurance charge/enfeeble at level 5, and molten shell at level 8?

I know the reason is to keep the damage trigger from CwDT as low as possible but isn't it better to level all of these gems up at a certain level say level 60-70ish, so you can keep up the molten shell armor buff longer before it explodes? As of now level 8 molten shell just gives 300+ armor which just seems negligible end game. I'm just level 45 so I can't really tell though.

Also in your solo merciless self-found gear section you were using a high level molten shell.
"
Vulpix0r wrote:
Wow, I just got back into Path of Exile just a week ago and saw this build. I am so glad that there is a nice melee shield build that is viable in late game. Current at level 25 and struggling a bit with bosses because of how hard they hit, hoping it improves when I get better gear.

Thanks again for sharing the build!

Glad you are finding the guide useful.

Bosses are easy with this build, but you don't really have any build yet at only level 25. :) Perhaps you could try a semi ranged attack skill like Lightning Strike or Spectral Throw early on. I did find the build pretty easy to level up though.
"
yeungcfhk wrote:
Thanks for the build.

I have a question regarding the gems linked with Cast when damage taken.

Why is it necessary to keep CwDT at level 2, endurance charge/enfeeble at level 5, and molten shell at level 8?

I know the reason is to keep the damage trigger from CwDT as low as possible but isn't it better to level all of these gems up at a certain level say level 60-70ish, so you can keep up the molten shell armor buff longer before it explodes? As of now level 8 molten shell just gives 300+ armor which just seems negligible end game. I'm just level 45 so I can't really tell though.

Also in your solo merciless self-found gear section you were using a high level molten shell.

CwDT is kept at level 1 or 2 so that enduring cry fires often. I am finding it keeps all three endurance charges up. The curse is nice too. I'm experimenting with vulnerability. Molten Shell is just there as an extra perk, it's not really needed or anything. If you want Molten Shell to fire less often but for a larger armour boost, you can always stick it on the Immortal Call CwDT combo instead.

Yes, I don't have a level 1 to replace my Molten Shell after the CwDT nerf. That's noted at the top of the post. So, I must do without Molten Shell for now.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
clogman wrote:

Maybe add to your CwDt guide about the gems used, and their levels, cause i assume that the CwDt gem must be lvl 2 in order to use level 8 molten shell ?

Thanks again for your execellent work.

You bet. Pretty sure I have the level of all of the gems mentioned in there. :)

No what i meant was, just to add a comment like (In order for Molten Shell @ lvl 8 to work, CwDT gem must be level 2).
Since i started with a lvl 8 Molten shell that didn't fire (with a lvl 1 CwDT gem), so i had to fiddle around a bit until it worked.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
SirJukesAlot wrote:
checking your passive tree, I notice you don't take any % regen early, skipping even the very convenient templar 1% node. I'm thinking trying the build in Nemesis as I have very little currency there. But how survivable will it be to level it with no regen?

Hi there, SirJukesAlot. :)

Regen nodes make little noticeable difference, and it's not hard to get on gear. You will be using flasks more often early on anyway. Go ahead and grab it if you like, it won't hurt anything.

I find the build very survivable when compared with other builds. The game is meant to be hard though so if you have not played through the whole game before I would not start in hardcore as there are plenty of gotchas you need to know about first. This is just general advice, regardless of the build.

K I'll give it a shot. I've played through on about 10 toons on this account 15 on main. Came back recently just looking for a fresh build.

May try it self found on default first to figure out the weaknesses/dps. Then slap on this silly stuff to see what it caps out at.
IGN @ExileProz
Last edited by SirJukesAlot on Dec 10, 2013, 7:57:57 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"

To sum up, if my math is correct, in my case there is no reason not to go Aspect of the Panther over Berserking, given the extra life and movement speed. But, just to make sure, I am gonna wait until I have 3 skill points, put them all at once in the Berserking triplet, check the DPS tooltip, refund, put the 3 refunded point in the AotP triplet, check tooltip and compare.

Cheers to all lazy Pallys.

Thanks for your post.

Did you factor this in? Quote from wiki

"
Mod Stacking

The keywords "More", "Less", "Increased", and "Reduced" indicate how a mod stacks with other mods of the same type.

"Increased" and "Reduced" mean that all applicable mods of that type are added up, then applied. For example, two passives which give "8% Increased Energy Shield" would provide a total of 8 + 8 = 16% Energy Shield

"More" and "Less" mean that that bonus is a multiplier. Effects with "More" or "Less" are rarer and more powerful than "Increased" and "Reduced", and are usually limited to skills, Unique Items, and Keystone Passives. For example, if a player has "30% More Spell Damage on Low Life" from Pain Attunement, as well as "50% More Spell Damage" from Righteous Fire, they will gain a total of 1.5 * 1.3 = 95% more spell damage.

In any case, let us know how your heavy strike tooltip is affected when you try both ways -- I'd still prefer the extra attack speed by far though as you will stun or blind more frequently. I also still think you won't have the motivation to go for Sentinel and the life ring near Scion without Berserking on the way. :)

Hail, Sovyn and the Gang!

I haven't had enough time to play the game lately, but hopefully tonight I am taking the last of the 3 levels to compare the 2 triplets of nodes. I am also pretty sure that I didn't confuse multiplicative and additive mods.

I don't think that you need Berserking to be motivated to get the life ring, if you want life and not more dmg it really is the only option you have for the very last nodes of the build, so the life ring is enough motivating by itself and I liked that you chose it as a finish to the build.

Regarding your point about the stun frequency, stun is a function of dmg, so it should be the other way around, more dmg should mean more chance to stun, attack speed doesn't really provide anything in terms of reaching the stun threshold and the crazy attack speed you get from multistrike and faster attacks already certifies that you hit again before the stun duration ends, right? Moreover, more dmg penetrates more of the opponent's armor due to how dmg reduction from armor is calculated in PoE, but that should be almost negligible given our low dmg I guess, nevertheless it is something that only favors AotP triplet a tiny bit more.

Lastly, I want to strongly suggest an addition to the guide, that doesn't change the previous setup at all, but greatly enhances the overall experience (always imho). In the skill-links setup there is a 4-linked item remaining unused. I would suggest to put there an aoe melee spell + 3 dmg supports or aoe melee spell + blood magic + 2 dmg supports (even that is enough dmg for what it is going to be used for). The lazy Pally build can afford to pull 20 white or blue mobs at once and the utility of a Ground Slam (or another aoe melee skill) is just incomparable, my Ground slam has at the moment less than half of the dps of my heavy strike and it easily clears these 10-20 mob packs 3 times faster than multistrike+heavy strike and unbelievably improves the overall clearing speed at virtually no cost. This is an easy addition that demands no sacrifice from the rest of the build, I would even consider putting my aoe spell into the 5-linked item, although I can't test it at the moment because I have no 5-linked chest as of yet (and probably I won't try too much for it, I am doing fine at the moment at level 71 with just 4-linked's, the gear-independecy of the build really shows).

Hopefully, I 'll be back soon with the results of the Berserking vs AotP comparison.

Cheers to all lazy Pallies!
"
clogman wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
clogman wrote:

Maybe add to your CwDt guide about the gems used, and their levels, cause i assume that the CwDt gem must be lvl 2 in order to use level 8 molten shell ?

Thanks again for your execellent work.

You bet. Pretty sure I have the level of all of the gems mentioned in there. :)

No what i meant was, just to add a comment like (In order for Molten Shell @ lvl 8 to work, CwDT gem must be level 2).
Since i started with a lvl 8 Molten shell that didn't fire (with a lvl 1 CwDT gem), so i had to fiddle around a bit until it worked.

I'm not sure where the confusion arose, but here's what it's said all along:

"
Triggers -
First Cast when Damage Taken - Level this trigger gem to level 2 only. I recommend linking this with Enduring Cry (level only to 5), Molten Shell (level only to 8), and Enfeeble (level only to 5).
Second Cast when Damage Taken - Level this trigger gem up to approximately level 9-11 unless your life pool is very large, then level it more as needed. I recommend linking this with Immortal Call and Increased Duration. If you want to use a 4-link for this one as well, I suggest an Enduring Cry gem in series before the Immortal call. This will ensure endurance charges are topped up before the Immortal Call activates.

Clear enough?
"
SirJukesAlot wrote:

K I'll give it a shot. I've played through on about 10 toons on this account 15 on main. Came back recently just looking for a fresh build.

May try it self found on default first to figure out the weaknesses/dps. Then slap on this silly stuff to see what it caps out at.

Great! We have had a lazy pally reach level 85 or so in hardcore. (That I am aware of, that is.)
"

Regarding your point about the stun frequency, stun is a function of dmg, so it should be the other way around, more dmg should mean more chance to stun, attack speed doesn't really provide anything in terms of reaching the stun threshold and the crazy attack speed you get from multistrike and faster attacks already certifies that you hit again before the stun duration ends, right? Moreover, more dmg penetrates more of the opponent's armor due to how dmg reduction from armor is calculated in PoE, but that should be almost negligible given our low dmg I guess, nevertheless it is something that only favors AotP triplet a tiny bit more.

Heavy Strike has a built-in stun component, so it stands to reason that the more often we hit, the more often we stun. Hitting faster just 'feels better' to me. :) I think your proposed variation will be just fine though.

Regarding the AOE suggestion, sure, folks can do that if they wish. It would require perfect linking, but not impossible. The guide hints at such a thing for those so inclined:

"
I will say you will want to choose only one or two different attacks. If two, choose one for area and one for single targets.

Personally, as a self found player, I find my style works fine for me. I can't use ground slam with an axe, and so far, everything else seems very feeble in comparison to my heavy strike. Reave, Double Strike, and Infernal Blow were OK though. I haven't leveled up all of the attack skill gems to choose from however. Perhaps in the future.

If I'm going to recommend something, it would have to be something that works with most weapon types as that's a cornerstone of the flexibility of the build, and that I find actually helpful to my character. :)

I'll give it some more thought at some point.
I started leveling a "lazy paladin". Did some tinkering with the base build and ended up with this.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAhMREckA2I020-fAfBLOiAIFvnjxN2Ix2OtjsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6sqvrScqlwfR0UfNmplYBWj0ZMNRoyT33Q0CjFUWDPZfO-VcanMAHn974UIDboUEdYr3gNvoqpbgHc0TZsRqQZcmwb-jIJJd-E2WVNbmlY276nU9_STZuDrK_AD4Tv55F07cOGeu9gSwUtxYqvbOnVDPcn7Rku1I_vDudSVElfP_ZIjM9QUFhjxtg9_Hy4KS7ZYVcN-6rzBqC0tfI1kv6PTeOmVzGens3SIeSt3sFZ8zbp42q53fIv

More life and armor and a bit less evasion and those sweet crit reduction nodes. Can you see any way I could take shorter routes and optimize the point spending? Or did I mess the build up completely? Gonna use ground slam so that's why "Baptism by Light" is there.

(Of course I'll never get to lvl 90 or so this would require but as close as possible eventually)
Last edited by Xeerdoz on Dec 10, 2013, 4:02:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info